Best conditions to keep a poecilotheria regalis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Is that a Southern accent? Are you from the South or have my abilites to place accents gone south?
I quite like your accent. Are you from the Carolinas?

I like this entire thread, it goes very well with popcorn :D Thank you all, and special thanks to @Whitelightning777 You made this thread very entertaining :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Is that a Southern accent? Are you from the South or have my abilites to place accents gone south?
Haha, no. I'm not from the South, and it is a southern accent. It's a fake accent I used because at the -very- beginning of his video there is a soft southern twang to his words. I wouldn't be surprised if he was originally from the southern american states. I only watched like the first thirty seconds, skipped halfway through to see him stare at his laptop in silence, and that was it.

I quite like your accent. Are you from the Carolinas?
Nope, it's fake! Pennsylvania, born and raised. We don't really 'have' an accent. I know, I know-- to everyone else it's an accent. But as far as America goes we have a very standard way of speaking. We've got quite a few accents around America actually, even just 'city' accents like Boston and New York. Sort of fascinating but I suppose it makes sense considering how big a country we are.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I didn't even link to that. Nevertheless, space
Heaters are dangerous and simply googling or binging or doing a Yahoo search of fatal space heater house fire will simply speak for itself.

Everyone knows that many, including myself, tarantula owners use a safe heat source to boost growth of our spiders. It is what it is. I wasn't going to link this but it serves as answer.

(Spell check went bizzark for some reason.)

Caution: epic rant. If you don't want to b be ranted at, do not click on this!!

Actually,, is not hard to understand. Just remember to use digital measurements and even more then one thermometer. The units that start like to measure temps of hams and turkeys will also measure substrate. Measure inside and outside the enclosure.

Last edited:

dord

Arachnopeon
Also, holy hell. I just looked at the picture closer. You've got a heat pad on the side of the tank and a heat lamp running. Not to mention some kind of gauge on the tanks along with a tape thermometer on the outside. You're the caricature of what pet stores suggest.
Heat lamp AND pad? Did he learn tarantula husbandry from a cook book?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I didn't even link to that. Nevertheless, space
Heaters are dangerous and simply googling or binging or doing a Yahoo search of fatal space heater house fire will simply speak for itself.

Everyone knows that many, including myself, tarantula Irene's use a safe heat source to boost growth of our spiders. It is what it is. I wasn't going to link this but it females as answer.

Caution: epic rant. If you don't want to b be ranted at, do not click on this!!

Actually,, is not hard to understand. Just remember to use digital measurements and even more then one thermometer. The units that start like to measure temps of hams and turkeys will also measure substrate. Measure inside and outside the enclosure.

What are you smoking? First of all-- who uses bing? Second of all, 'but it females as answer' makes no sense.

Why don't you answer people who prove you wrong, hm? Like cold blood's post providing links to where air conditioners are far more dangerous than space heaters? Why do you cherry-pick what to answer to? Is it because-- gasp-- you're actually full of isht and have no idea what you're talking about? Because it's becoming increasingly clear to everyone who reads this thread that you are A. delusional B. paranoid C. unable to have a REAL debate D. inept at this hobby E. grossly unable to comprehend logic.

Why don't you do us a favor and quit coming to this site? You offer nothing of value with your archaic husbandry. Instead you post advice that might be seen by people who don't know any better and will take it to heart, leaving the rest of us scrambling to correct everything you say before they end up cooking their poor tarantulas. Go back to tarantulaforum and baw about how we are a cult and how we're so mean to you with how we won't let you sway new keepers into following your dangerous methodology or how we won't let you promote apps made by people who put tarantulas on their face and show absolutely no regard for their tarantula's life.

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
What are you smoking? First of all-- who uses bing? Second of all, 'but it females as answer' makes no sense.

Why don't you answer people who prove you wrong, hm? Like cold blood's post providing links to where air conditioners are far more dangerous than space heaters? Why do you cherry-pick what to answer to? Is it because-- gasp-- you're actually full of isht and have no idea what you're talking about? Because it's becoming increasingly clear to everyone who reads this thread that you are A. delusional B. paranoid C. unable to have a REAL debate D. inept at this hobby E. grossly unable to comprehend logic.

Why don't you do us a favor and quit coming to this site? You offer nothing of value with your archaic husbandry. Instead you post advice that might be seen by people who don't know any better and will take it to heart, leaving the rest of us scrambling to correct everything you say before they end up cooking their poor tarantulas. Go back to tarantulaforum and baw about how we are a cult and how we're so mean to you with how we won't let you sway new keepers into following your dangerous methodology or how we won't let you promote apps made by people who put tarantulas on their face and show absolutely no regard for their tarantula's life.
Post of the year 2018 award goes to @miss moxie
Congrats!

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Window mounted AC units pose far less of a fire risk then space heaters do. I never said the risk was zero for any of them. The inability of some to hear a cave in no way proves it should never be done at all.

If you check all locations in a cage, regardless of how many or few spiders you have, for excessive temps and ensure that the temps are stable there will never be a problem.

People keep reptiles, orchids, fish and a wide variety of living things in the 80 degree range. Simply using digital thermometers as described will eliminate problems.

I clearly stated that this was controversial on the outset.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Something isn't controversial when one person is against something that everyone else knows is just fine.

https://www.insurancequotes.com/home/most-dangerous-appliances Space heater isn't on there. At all.

2. Lightbulbs:

Have a potential to be a hazard for electrical fires if ever kept near flammable material. Lightbulbs can also be a cause of electrical shocks, so always ensure the switch is off before replacing any bulbs, and that you are using a bulb with the correct wattage to prevent over heating.

via https://www.bigtelectrical.com.au/s.../8-Most-Dangerous-Electrical-Hazards-In-Homes which is an Australian website but I'm pretty sure Australian light bulbs are identical to American light bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
for excessive temps and ensure that the temps are stable there will never be a problem.

People keep reptiles, orchids, fish and a wide variety of living things in the 80 degree range.
You continually argue the wrong points....making your arguments...well, pointless....If you don't even understand where the dangers to the t lie, how can you expect to make a strong argument?

Ok, AGAIN...its not the temps that make a lamp dangerous...we all get that there can be some degree of temp control...the danger with the lamp is the way it excessively dries everything...we've seen them repeatedly take down even the hardiest of species over time, such as rose hairs....which are like the champions of dryness.

The danger with temps lies with mats, as when used wrong, a t can camp out right on the thing...it can be dangerous, but they are dangerous for a different reason than a lamp is. Its easy to make a mat safe, a lamp is a totally different story. They are not designed with tarantulas in mind...this isn't an opinion, its a fact.

My point with the AC window type units starting fires wasn't to show they were more dangerous...but to show that they shared the same potential dangers....as does the fridge...or for that matter just about anything plugged into a wall.

Last edited:

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
Window mounted AC units pose far less of a fire risk then space heaters do. I never said the risk was zero for any of them. The inability of some to hear a cave in no way proves it should never be done at all.

If you check all locations in a cage, regardless of how many or few spiders you have, for excessive temps and ensure that the temps are stable there will never be a problem.

People keep reptiles, orchids, fish and a wide variety of living things in the 80 degree range. Simply using digital thermometers as described will eliminate problems.

Please, just give up and slide away....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Whitelightning777
This is actually a sincere question. Are you okay mate? Because you seem to lose touch with what people are posting and reality quite a lot. Do you have the impression you're answering people's questions? Because you are not, do you realize that?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
@Whitelightning777
This is actually a sincere question. Are you okay mate? Because you seem to lose touch with what people are posting and reality quite a lot. Do you have the impression you're answering people's questions? Because you are not, do you realize that?
You'll notice he does that in every thread. Especially when he's proven wrong with facts and sources, he pivots to focus on one thing rather than conceding.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Nevertheless, my animals are fine.

Heating up an entire room to do just a few cages is still wasteful, dangerous and stupid. No one here has proven in any way shape or form that my animals have been harmed or will be.

There's nothing outdated about that and all the snark or whining won't change reality. The fact is that not only are my animals safe, all equipment used for that is used according to the manufacturer's recommendations and all safety rules are followed.

That can't be said for those who use dangerous short term heat sources for long term unsupervised usage.

Read the directions for your stuff. I did!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.