Best conditions to keep a poecilotheria regalis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Did you Google space heater fire fatalities? They're also way more then 29, from all parts of the world. If you safely want to elevate heat in a single room, get a heat pump that mounts in the window.

These are true HVAC units that can safely run without adult supervision. This one can easily add 10-15 degrees and will hit you less on your power bill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...mps+window&dpPl=1&dpID=5160mo1UMoL&ref=plSrch

The process to set up the heat systems (not the heat pump -- just put in window) is pretty straight forward. Much can be accomplished simply by putting your hand into the interior of the enclosure anywhere accessible by a living thing. If it burns, no good. This isn't any harder then heating up a fish tank, so long as the right distances and directions are used.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...1517120409&ref_=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Last edited:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Did you Google space heater fire fatalities? They're also way more then 29, from all parts of the world
Wasn't talking about human fatalities caused by fires, I was talking about tarantula fatalities caused by the object itself and not a potentially resulting fire. I can google vending machine fatalities, i can google staircase related fatalities, I can google fatalities by drowning in a beer tsunami and I'll get results because all of those things can and have happened. That point of "I searched it up and got results of it happening" isn't a very hard hitting argument because you can do that for almost anything, especially electric appliances.

Heating a specific spot on the tarantula enclosure is never a good idea, better to heat the room with a single space heater than heat each individual cage with a heat lamp

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Did you Google space heater fire fatalities? They're also way more then 29, from all parts of the world. If you safely want to elevate heat in a single room, get a heat pump that mounts in the window.

These are true HVAC units that can safely run without adult supervision. This one can easily add 10-15 degrees and will hit you less on your power bill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...mps+window&dpPl=1&dpID=5160mo1UMoL&ref=plSrch

The process to set up the heat systems (not the heat pump -- just put in window) is pretty straight forward. Much can be accomplished simply by putting your hand into the interior of the enclosure anywhere accessible by a living thing. If it burns, no good. This isn't any harder then heating up a fish tank, so long as the right distances and directions are used.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTemp-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B0053Y6IPE/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=zoomed rt1 temperature&qid=1517120409&ref_=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1&sr=8-1-fkmr1
So we’ve jumped from a discussion on which $30 heating unit to use to recommending $500 heat pumps???

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Heat lamps are for reptiles, NOT for inverts.
Everything can be dangerous in the hands of a stupid person. Some are more dangerous than others though, and a heat lamp is the most dangerous in hands of a person who doesn't know basics. Average person is going to go to a pet store,buy everything they think he needs and put a spider in there. If that person reads that a heat lamp does fine, he'll put one in the middle of it, switch it on and call it good. Which is a surefire way to kill a spider. Hence the strong resistance against one.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
People who get house plants and gardens have little difficulty figuring out how much heat and light are needed.

Yes, it can reduce humidity unless the roof of the enclosure is largely blocked. Check water twice daily.

The lights themselves are red shifted, making them invisible to tarantulas.

One possible improvement would be to enclose the area where they are constructing a cabinet.

First remove the cages. Enclose with transparent acrylic plates. Revamp heat input and replace cages -- future project. 2018-01-28 13.49.09.jpg

This detail matters. 2018-01-28 14.05.08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
People who get house plants and gardens have little difficulty figuring out how much heat and light are needed.

Yes, it can reduce humidity unless the roof of the enclosure is largely blocked. Check water twice daily.

The lights themselves are red shifted, making them invisible to tarantulas.

One possible improvement would be to enclose the area where they are constructing a cabinet.

First remove the cages. Enclose with transparent acrylic plates. Revamp heat input and replace cages -- future project. View attachment 264600
This is probably the most absurd instalation I have ever seen. And it also looks like much bigger fire hazzard than any space heater.
And what about energy consumption ? Just throw there heat cable or two if You insist on that they need extra heat.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Oh my god. So a highly rated space heater is more of a fire hazard than all of those unkempt wires, and super-hot lightbulbs right next to a cardboard box full of plastic bags, and to add onto that there is a bunch of paper at the bottom???

I'm not well versed in fire investigation, but that whole set up looks like it would go up quickly. Yeesh. :confused:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
... heating around the cage with the heat lamps at least 8" away
... seriously, man? :meh:

2018-01-28 13.49.09-1.jpg

Beyond what looks like you actively trying to roast a sling, your setup looks absolutely absurd. You're preaching about a fire hazard with space heaters, and then you post this. I guarantee you that those lamp manufacturers would say that you're setting them up improperly.

I'm done here, your arguments have reached a level of absurdity that I can't handle. Suggesting that we buy a heater that is several hundred dollars shows that you're of the personality type that believes your opinion in infallible. I don't doubt that heat lamps can be used with tarantulas properly - but you are not using them properly.

With a setup like that, I'm not sure how you think people with hundreds of spiders manage.

Also, holy hell. I just looked at the picture closer. You've got a heat pad on the side of the tank and a heat lamp running. Not to mention some kind of gauge on the tanks along with a tape thermometer on the outside. You're the caricature of what pet stores suggest.

The more I look at your picture, the funnier this gets. I just can't believe you've been preaching about fire hazards and then post that. It looks like a damn PSA commercial on what not to do with exotic pets :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Ah yes, 8" away, just ignore the lamp that's touching the small enclosure on the right :banghead: you do realise that heat isn't just focused down with these things? It radiates out sideways even with the cover

cold blood

Staff member
Also, holy hell. I just looked at the picture closer. You've got a heat pad on the side of the tank and a heat lamp running. Not to mention some kind of gauge on the tanks along with a tape thermometer on the outside. You're the caricature of what pet stores suggest.

The more I look at your picture, the funnier this gets. I just can't believe you've been preaching about fire hazards and then post that. It looks like a damn PSA commercial on what not to do with exotic pets :rofl:
Yeah there's more crap hooked up to that than a person on life support...I count 5 heat lamps, placed directly above enclosures a foot away...exactly how he was telling us not to use them...not to mention the pads...and the hygrometers just illustrate the total absurdity of that set up. To think that set up is remotely safer than a space heater is just crazy talk......I am blown away that someone would set things up like that, and then have the audacity to bash space heaters for being unsafe....what, in favor of that set up??...omg.

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would look at that set up and think its ok, much less not a fire hazard. I'd bet if the fire inspector in your town saw that they would blow a gasket.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That just won't do, it needs to be directly ON the cardboard. All those lamps better be plugged into the same powerboard as well :troll:
Don't worry! Look at the heaps of haphazardly piled...stuff at the bottom shelf! He's got a zoo med reptitemp rheostat. That means he can store gasoline on the same shelf too, no problem! :troll:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Yeah there's more crap hooked up to that than a person on life support...I count 5 heat lamps, placed directly above enclosures a foot away...exactly how he was telling us not to use them...not to mention the pads...and they hygrometers just illustrate the total absurdity of that set up. To think that set up is remotely safer than a space heater is just crazy talk......I am blown away that someone would set things up like that, and then have the audacity to bash space heaters for being unsafe....what in favor of that set up...omg.

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would look at that set up and think its ok, much less not a fire hazard. I'd bet if the fire inspector in your town saw that they would blow a gasket.
Maybe OP works at petco, he's got the same hides as well...

cold blood

Staff member
Its funny when one single posted pic can eliminate all shreds of credibility for a poster.:rolleyes:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Maybe OP works at petco, he's got the same hides as well...
No he always brags about being a security guard and also having some sort of electronics background.

Looking at this...not a successful electronics background.

This is ALSO the guy who keeps insisting we are telling him false information because we either want to kill his tarantulas, or take them from him. On another forum, where he is boasting about how AB people don't want to hear the truth, he is quoted as saying:

Whitelightning777 said:
That didn't take long!! The thing is that they don't want you to tell the truth.

Here I can say I did this and it led to that, no problem.

On the other one it is like we don't want to know etc.

Anyway, the point is that no one will take my tarantulas or my guns!! I think that succeeding proceed most irritating.
At this point? I really wanna see what his gun storage looks like...or how many baby cribs are next to it.

cold blood

Staff member
No he always brags about being a security guard and also having some sort of electronics background.

Looking at this...not a successful electronics background.

This is ALSO the guy who keeps insisting we are telling him false information because we either want to kill his tarantulas, or take them from him. On another forum, where he is boasting about how AB people don't want to hear the truth, he is quoted as saying:

At this point? I really wanna see what his gun storage looks like...or how many baby cribs are next to it.
Oh god that post you quoted is simply hilarious.:rofl:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I was looking through his old posts and oh my god. I just made a connection. That TERRIBLE pet store I posted about, that kept scorpions and tarantulas on paper towels? I posted about it here: Ugh pet stores...

Since the scorpion is 6" long, she (confirmed female -- 22 scorplings raised and donated to Rick's fish and pet supply)
THAT is the same pet store! This guy KNOWINGLY donated 22 scorplings to that place!! Rick's fish and pet supply in Frederick, MD.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't want to offend no one (please don't read this comment that way) but sometimes I wonder (I'm serious) exactly which kind of temperatures some of you people has in your 'T's room' or for that matter where you keep your arachnids.

Watching those pics with all of those devices, cables, whatever attached etc to me seems more a kinda 'Dr. Franken-Hi-Tech Lab' and nothing else.

It's really so hard to have something like a Day 23/24° C and a Night (drop) of 19/20° C (using F should be Day 73.4/75 - Night 68, altough I'm not sure with F since I use C°) without using whatever additional devices? o_O

On the above temperature range I always kept (and still keep today) my inverts (99% arachnids) since 1992/93. Never had an issue, never had a 'freezing/cooked' one, 'covering' (aside Oceania but only due to availability and 'missed chances' :banghead:) basically every kind of Theraphosidae, from 'tropicals' to desert ones to whatever.

Mah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.