1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Centipede Substrate

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by styrafoamcow, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Daniel Edwards

Daniel Edwards Arachnosquire Active Member

Thanks for the feedback! They don't over produce and over run terrariums do they? Would they stress out juvenile specimens?
  2. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnodemon Active Member

They do breed very rapidly and in most enclosures I have there are always tiny movements across the soil and moss as springtails move around. When droppings are produced or legs/shell of a prey item are left around, the springtails all flock to it and make a huge white pile. But for the most part, springtails are under the substrate and only surface just after food appears. If you don't include too many food sources and 'pede leavings is all they have to eat, springtails remain at a low enough level. As far as I've seen not even plings are stressed by springtails. Best of all they will never eat a molting 'pede unlike isopods.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bryverine

bryverine Arachnoangel Active Member

What type of sand?
  4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoknight Active Member

I think as long as it doesn’t have calcium in it, it doesn’t matter. Many use play sand though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Edwards

Daniel Edwards Arachnosquire Active Member

I use plain rock sand, not calcium based sands.
  6. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I have only a female S.subspinipes (so Asian, therefore things can change a little, when it comes to substrate, unlike for the 'desert' 'pedes) that btw gave birth to a good 30 pedelings, and I always kept/keep here and those on Irish moss peat. Zero issues.