Best "Big" Tarantula

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
- Title: Best "Big" Tarantula

thumbnail_DSC_0557.jpg

There's nothing much to say, aside bow down to such grace and wild beauty... the rest are chit chat, nonsense, and 'thin air' like a Steven Seagal movie :bored: :cigar:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Does the lp ACTUALLY get to a huge size, or is it just the “genic/chaco” genre of spider?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
L Klugi ultimate pic 2.jpg Justina angle 2 1-8.jpg G grossa is also extremely impressive if you can find it. You don't see that one that often!! It's unforgettable once you see footage or high quality pics!!

Any Lasiodora species will also be a great choice. Quite a few exist and husbandry is very similar. Price and availability are the main differences.

In my opinion, size isn't as important as coloration, behavior and visibility (not hiding in a web it a burrow or a hide most of the time) Lasiodora species start out burrowing but when mine got 3" and got adult colors, she started being in plain sight sometimes for days at a time even to this day. Here's an example.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Does the lp ACTUALLY get to a huge size, or is it just the “genic/chaco” genre of spider?
Yes, huge...but not what you commonly hear....more like a 7-8" range spider...and bulky...but yes, basically the size of a geniculata.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yes, huge...but not what you commonly hear....more like a 7-8" range spider...and bulky...but yes, basically the size of a geniculata.
I kinda divide tarantula sizes into groups named after well-known tarantulas in that size. Like for five or six inchers I say "albo/hamorii range" or something like that.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Hands down Lasiodora klugi. As others have said about Lasiodora sp., they are almost always out. Somehow, I’ve ended up with three of these guys, and they have some of the more... interesting personalities of all my spiders. My juvenile male believes his water dish is sacred and any molestation of it, including filling it with water, is a grave dishonor, and will put up all manner of threat poses. He will even guard the water dish with his body to keep me from filling it. My MM is a lanky derp. My AF is my favorite of all the spiders in my collection. Big and bold.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pamphos are the best.
Genics and Phormics are great.
Xenesthis are amazing, but ludicrously expensive.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What some don't realise is just how big a 8" tarantula is and looks. They're obviously not just a straight line measurement. A ruler or tape. They're a huge spider.

Even a stocky 6" tarantula looks impressive in the flesh.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My juvenile male believes his water dish is sacred and any molestation of it, including filling it with water, is a grave dishonor, and will put up all manner of threat poses. He will even guard the water dish with his body to keep me from filling it.
Regina once tried to block me from filling her dish, and I didn’t even try to move her, I just squirted the water anyway, directly on her. She backed off REAL quick.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
What some don't realise is just how big a 8" tarantula is and looks. They're obviously not just a straight line measurement. A ruler or tape. They're a huge spider.

Yeah I think I certainly need to keep that in mind. My one and only T at the minute is a juvinile B. Hamorii so even a good sized genic will look huge in comparison. I don't think I've ever actually seen a Big T in person, largest I have seen is an adult G. Rosea at a zoo.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

Then you add the fact that it's either male or female, the female is so bulky in comparison to the male, they sometimes look like different spp. My largest spider is my A. geniculata - male, so it's very leggy next to a female.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Regina once tried to block me from filling her dish, and I didn’t even try to move her, I just squirted the water anyway, directly on her. She backed off REAL quick.
When I sprinkle water to make it rain in my Pamphos enclosure, often she just sits there and doesn't notice/care if she's being rained on. Like I said, Pamphos are the best.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Not Wanda Jr. He will not back down from water. That is HIS water dish, not the waters’