Best Big box pet store small aquariums to convert for inverts

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am looking for a small invert display enclosure I can keep at my office.
Big box pet stores offer a profusion of small aquaria, intended for use with bettas. I wouldn’t personally use any of the really small ones for bettas, but some might make great enclosures for inverts of various types, especially if modified. I am thinking about using and/or converting some for various inverts, most likely isopods, small millipedes, and possibly others. Three of the most important considerations are that the end product, once modified, must:
1. Be escape-proof for the intended inhabitants
2. Keep fungus gnats out
3. Look reasonably appealing (otherwise, I would just use plastic tubs I use at home for practical reasons.)

Has anyone experimented with this idea? If so, I’d love,to hear about what you did and how it worked for you.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Exo Terras have some good small sizes, 12x12x12's and the like; I've used exo's with a large variety of different species and they usually work well. Easy to modify too if you're needing something more airtight for humidity reasons.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Th
Exo Terras have some good small sizes, 12x12x12's and the like; I've used exo's with a large variety of different species and they usually work well. Easy to modify too if you're needing something more airtight for humidity reasons.
That is a good point, I have an 8”x8”x12” Exo-Terra set up as a planted Bioactive vivarium I keep hatchling mourning geckos in. Something like that could work for a wide variety of inverts. Modifying it to prevent fungus gnats...I will have to think about that....the top screen would need to be covered with some fine-weave fabric, and the vents in the front...

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Pending ventilation needs, a glass top to replace the screen is easily made for them; or you could do partial glass and partial screen top using a DIY screening kit from the likes of Home Depot or Lowes and use some No-Seeum mesh instead of the standard window screen. Same for covering the vent on the inside, no seeum mesh is good stuff.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pending ventilation needs, a glass top to replace the screen is easily made for them; or you could do partial glass and partial screen top using a DIY screening kit from the likes of Home Depot or Lowes and use some No-Seeum mesh instead of the standard window screen. Same for covering the vent on the inside, no seeum mesh is good stuff.
If Imgo the Zoo Med Bugarium route, no side vents to worry about, I could cut out a square of no-see-um mesh and cover the screen with it...

StampFan

Arachnodemon
If Imgo the Zoo Med Bugarium route, no side vents to worry about, I could cut out a square of no-see-um mesh and cover the screen with it...
The other problem with the Bugarium is figuring out a way to secure the top. It just sits there, a T could easily pop it open and climb out.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The other problem with the Bugarium is figuring out a way to secure the top. It just sits there, a T could easily pop it open and climb out.
For a T, that could definitely be an issue. For the creatures I plan to keep (such as isopods), it isn’t much of a problem.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Actually I was thinking of you just modifying a normal exo. Forget that bugarium junk. Normal, front door opening exo, screen top. Take the screen off, get glass cut to fit and then silicone it down. Same with the screen vent you would make for it, just silicon it down and it's fine. No T is pushing out of that. Don't rely on books, that's a baddddd plan.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
The other day, I saw Deep Blue brand cages. The gallon cage they sell looked amazing. It had great depth, nice glass sides, and a very heavy glass lid on the top. While they are all betta cages, they have many cages that are either deep or wide for isopods. Plus, if you hate the lid being glass with no ventilation, you could just get a single piece of plastic cut that matches the top. They are "meant" to be divided, but I wouldn't. I plan on using some with future inverts, I think their size would be perfect for an office setting :D

StampFan

Arachnodemon
The other day, I saw Deep Blue brand cages. The gallon cage they sell looked amazing. It had great depth, nice glass sides, and a very heavy glass lid on the top. While they are all betta cages, they have many cages that are either deep or wide for isopods. Plus, if you hate the lid being glass with no ventilation, you could just get a single piece of plastic cut that matches the top. They are "meant" to be divided, but I wouldn't. I plan on using some with future inverts, I think their size would be perfect for an office setting :D
This would appear to be the one you're talking about:
https://www.amazon.ca/Professional-...srs=7876951011&ie=UTF8&qid=1527812749&sr=1-15

SPW49

Arachnopeon
For what Its worth I used the 5G one they make to House 6 striped bark scorpions( C. hentzi) & I’m liking it.