Best Beginner Tarantula

Flurff

Arachnopeon
Hi, I've been looking into getting a T recently, and there are a lot of differing opinions on the best beginner breed. I don't know that much about T mood swings or anything, but I'm not planning on handling it at all, since that can stress them out.

I was thinking an Eupalastrus campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty) since I've heard that they're really docile and generally won't jumpscare me when I'm feeding them, but I'm open to suggestions since each tarantula has a different personality. I've noticed that the E. campestratus is really rare to come by though, so that might not be the best choice. I'd like a relatively affordable, pretty docile, hardy, New World, not-quite-mature but not-a-sling(preferably male) tarantula, since I know that males die soon after they mature.

I figured a male would be best, for the reason that they do die after they mature so I can kind of get a feel for the hobby before I commit to a female (though I'd love to get a female first).
Is this a bad idea? Do I need to mate him after he matures? Will he get "sad" if I don't mate him? Is the drumming that males do when they're ready to mate annoying? What kind of food is best(i.e. mealworms, crickets, etc.)? Will a tarantula get malnourished if I feed it just, say, mealworms/superworms? (I've had a gecko before, and I know that mealworms were more of a treat for her, but I have no idea with tarantulas.)
Also, does anyone know of a good T breeder/provider for someone living in Utah?
Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
but I'm open to suggestions since each tarantula has a different personality
Your two best choices IMO are G. pulchripes or B. albopilosum. A. chalcodes would be good, too, but they aren't as good of eaters as the other two and grow much slower.

I figured a male would be best, for the reason that they do die after they mature so I can kind of get a feel for the hobby before I commit to a female (though I'd love to get a female first).
Smart....I agree that males make excellent firsts, but only if the male is small. Being able to see an entire life cycle in just a year or four is exceptionally helpful and it doesn't come with the excessive commitment a female living 20-30 years will.
Do I need to mate him after he matures?
Of course not.
Will he get "sad" if I don't mate him?
Ts don't have brains, they have a nerve cluster, known as a ganglion...as a result, ts do not have emotions.:vulcan::vulcan:
What kind of food is best
There is no one best food. Feed it whatever you have easy access to or have the best luck feeding.
Will a tarantula get malnourished if I feed it just, say, mealworms/superworms?
No.

Also, does anyone know of a good T breeder/provider for someone living in Utah?
Good breeders/sellers ship, so you can shop anyone....the classifieds here is quite useful...full of great sellers and every seller is required to have a corresponding review page, so you can shop with confidence.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I was thinking an Eupalastrus campestratus
This made me laugh because I literally could have written your exact post 6 months ago. Pink Zebra Beauty. That was it. THAT was going to be our first T. We researched everything. OK we are ready. We just know it will be the perfect T. Called the pet store.... Curly hair or pinktoe. Fine, call another pet store... curly hair or pinktoe. Every store around here, same story. Whatever, we will shop online. None to be found anywhere!! I recently just found one online, but it was a 1/2" sling.

So, we will keep our eyes out and get one one day, but in the meantime we landed on a 3.5" B. albopilosum (Honduran Curly Hair) for our first. We didnt know that he was going to molt and hook out the next month, but we love him anyway. We have no intention of breeding him so he will just live out his days. The only disappointing thing about him is that he doesn't eat anymore. I mean, he does but not much and doesn't attack his food like he used to. (BTW, still kinda gives me jump scare when my Ts attack lol).

Last edited:

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I started last month with an adult A. chalcodes. I know even the docile T's can be unpredictable and go against their reputation, but mine really does seem sweet. Have handled her several times. She has not eaten much and has currently enclosed herself in her hide. I love her and I feel it was a very good first choice for me to get familiar with them and the hobby

My B. albo has eaten more so far which is nice because its something I havent seen much of, from my chalcodes. I've been doing crickets

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I adore my Eupalaestrus campestratus female, but the species does not make it onto my top five best beginner species for the following reasons...
1. They are difficult to come by and can cost a lot of money.
2. They are very slow growing.
3. Not as visible as other species at the larger sizes and still spends a lot of time in their hide/burrow.
4. They have a reputation as being highly tolerant, but I don't think that is as deserved for this species as much as others. While my girl has never shown any defensive behaviour, she is very skittish... even at 4"+. She might calm down when she is full grown, but I wouldn't consider her one of the more tolerant species so far.
There are far better choices when it comes to having a high tolerance level - Brachypelma albopilosum (both Honduran and Nicaraguan), Grammostola pulchripes, Grammostola pulchra, Brachypelma hamorii, Homoeomma chilensis and a few more show a much higher tolerance level.