Best beginner Centipede?

Coolherper

Arachnopeon
I have no experience keeping centipedes but I would like to start. Ideally I would get one which is both hardy and has relatively mild venom. Although, it is usually impossible to find a species when looking for an animal with certain criteria, and I'm aware centipedes are generally very venomous around the board. I have heard the Latin American Giant centipedes tend to have less potent venom. Please send advice!!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Scolopendra polymorpha is a great beginner species. They are inexpensive, easy to care for, easy to find for sale and have mild venom. I would also elect scolopendra viridis for similar reasons. South American centipedes are very expensive but do have mild venom. Most Asian centipedes will have very powerful venom.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
What he said ^

Scolopendra heros is also decent, but is significantly larger, more expensive, and has a more potent venom. Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (especially the blue-ringed variant) is also great.

Coolherper

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks!! I will consider these options. I may need some time before I get one though to be really comfortable. A few years back I stepped on a rotten log with a yellow jacket nest... I got sting like 50 times, so now I'm deathly afraid of anyrhing that flies

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
After 25 years of arachnids keeping (T's mostly, with a few scorpion) I purchased, years ago, a S.subspinipes, therefore an Asian 'pede, hence 'potent venom', as my first.

No issues - aside the side story happened due to her pure WC pregnancy, but this is a story that deserve another explanation/context.

Anyway, people suggest always mild venom 'pedes for beginners, but sometimes they forgot a key detail: every 'pede is somewhat defensive, extremely intelligent, and an escape artist. Every 'pede, period. Unlike when it comes for T's.

Venom potency, therefore, is only a statistic - basically read those statements like someone saying: '... well, if said 'pede bites you, isn't big deal nor painful like Asian ones' but reality, venom potency aside, is that there's no particular differences about those 'pedes care/temperament etc in fact, a native from Italy S.cingulata can be defensive... just like a S.dehaani or S.subspinipes.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
But there's still some difference. Brachypelma can also be defensive, as can Stromatopelma, but that doesn't mean that choice doesn't matter. A dehaani is much more likely to be too much for a newbie to manage than a polymorpha.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But there's still some difference. Brachypelma can also be defensive, as can Stromatopelma, but that doesn't mean that choice doesn't matter. A dehaani is much more likely to be too much for a newbie to manage than a polymorpha.
Then why I never had an issue, since my first 'pede was a pure WC S.subspinipes shipped from Vietnam?

Btw, c'mon... a 'brachy' can be defensive, yes. But, no matter, still slow like a Lamborghini tractor, while a S.calceatum is like... wind, and I know what I'm saying, since I've chased a juvenile, when I was 20, on the walls, ah ah :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
1) Decide what centipede you actually WANT. Pointless getting a pet you don't actually want for a "stepping stone". Hate that term.

2) Get a plastic rub (very important as pedes will climb the silicone in the corners of glass enclosures, including exo terra) that's at least 1.5x the full length of your centipede with all the substrate & decorations if they're around the sides.

3) Get yourself a set of 12" (30cm) tongs.

4) Enjoy your beautiful new pet.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Scolopendra polymorpha is a good beginner species, mild venom, usually large size, multiple color variations, it stays on the surface, and it is very hardy. I also like Rhysida longipes just for its nice green coloration and spectacular terminal legs, to go with a mild attitude. Scolopendra alternans is a cool species that gets large that I have had good experiences with, just keep in mind it is crazy fast and unpredictable.
The Giant Vietnamese species are very venomous, very strong and very quick, so I would not recommend them to the beginner. I do not know about the Giant Latin American species.

I hope you have success!

Arthroverts

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Then why I never had an issue, since my first 'pede was a pure WC S.subspinipes shipped from Vietnam?

Btw, c'mon... a 'brachy' can be defensive, yes. But, no matter, still slow like a Lamborghini tractor, while a S.calceatum is like... wind, and I know what I'm saying, since I've chased a juvenile, when I was 20, on the walls, ah ah :)
Well, there are still people who start with OWs that succeed without issue. That doesn't mean that they're as good of a beginner species as the "classics". I've heard of a few cases of people starting with a dehaani, and realising it's out of their league. There are so many better beginner pedes to choose from that are neither as fast, high strung, nor as venomous.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
When people ask me what centipede they should start with I don't always jump to the expensive ones. The reason I don't suggest a really expensive centipede to start is because of the learning curve. Centipedes are more humidity sensitive than tarantulas and it is difficult to get used to that (especially in a very dry place like my home state). There are going to be mishaps and mistakes like keeping the enclosure too moist or letting it dry out too much. A centipede can kill itself by dropping a prey item in the water and then drinking after it goes rancid (If you aren't checking on them every day). There is also the issue of mycosis in a higher humidity setup. All in all they are a higher maintenance pet than any T and something interesting, cheap and available is a good starter. In the case of someone that likes giant centipedes here in the states that means S. dehaani. The venom is a factor but a beginner probably isn't going to want to hold a giant centipede anyway. If there wasn't such huge difference in cost between S. dehaani and every other giant species on the market (in the states) then I would suggest just getting your dream centipede first. I know it took me quite a few successes before I was ready to drop a big chunk of change on my S. cf gigantea "Robusta" and feel comfortable that I wasn't going to mess it up.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
S polymorpha or any of the Alipes are good starters.

Coolherper

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Probably will start with viridis; I think it is a beautiful species.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
S viridis is a fun species. I keep them and they are very easy to care for. Only downside to them for some people is that they do stay buried a lot and lifespan is 2 years tops.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
lifespan is 2 years tops.
Got any evidence? Not trying to be rude or anything, but that’s a ridiculously short lifespan... The shortest I’ve heard for Scolopendra. One of the gravid females you sent me like half a year ago is still trucking along and I’d guess it took longer than a year for it to grow to this size from a pling.

Viridis is a good choice IMO, with 2 main morphs to choose from :)

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
I read this and shivered because my first pede was a WC adult S. Dehaani. It was nerve racking but it was a beautiful beast. If I do another pede I'd get something while its small, your basically in for a handful regardless of species. Let your skills grow with the critter and let the boards be a guide.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Got any evidence? Not trying to be rude or anything, but that’s a ridiculously short lifespan... The shortest I’ve heard for Scolopendra. One of the gravid females you sent me like half a year ago is still trucking along and I’d guess it took longer than a year for it to grow to this size from a pling.

Viridis is a good choice IMO, with 2 main morphs to choose from :)
I’m going by McMonigle”s observations in his Centipedes in Captivity book stating adult S viridis adults living no more than a year and a half in captivity. I have some going on 3 years so yes that factoid can be updated. Glad the ones you got from me are faring well.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’m going by McMonigle”s observations in his Centipedes in Captivity book stating adult S viridis adults living no more than a year and a half in captivity. I have some going on 3 years so yes that factoid can be updated. Glad the ones you got from me are faring well.
I have an adult female whose produced one clutch of eggs. Age is unknown though.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Wouldn't your all clear acrylic enclosures work for them?

You can actually see the pede and they aren't secured with silicone.

I'm thinking something like Jamie's adult terrestrial tarantula enclosure kit.

Or would they just chew through it and escape?