• Ackie

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Plated lizard

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They all sell for arround the same price on captive bred young , but i only have room for one more Big fellow these 3 all have alot going for them but i suspect one maybe a better choice than the others perhaps you can tell me wich one it is and why?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Tegu's are not medium sized lizards, they get to the same size, I think, as many of the monitors.

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Without a doubt,I'd say Beardies.They can't be considered small,neither are they too large.They do have a massive personality,though :D

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the Ackies. If I had to get a varanid, it'd be an Ackie. Bearded Dragons are too common for my tastes.

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
I like the Ackies. If I had to get a varanid, it'd be an Ackie. Bearded Dragons are too common for my tastes.
What about a uromastyx? They are right there in the ball park, and are another nice lizard to keep. Tegu's and Monitors get pretty big, and can have a nasty attitude, though I have met some pretty gentle ones too.

C

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
moricollins said:
Tegu's are not medium sized lizards, they get to the same size, I think, as many of the monitors.
they all rarely exceed 1 meter, to me thats medium size for a lizard, a nile water or komodo is what i call large...

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fini said:
What about a uromastyx?
can you offer a description im not sure what reptile you mean. but it sounds worth investigating....

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is a picture that I found. This guy is pretty brilliant. I left a link below for more information. I've never kept one myself, but a friend has been keeping them for years and loves them. It's a great alternative to beardies anyway.

http://www.uromastyx.net/

http://urotopia.com/greenguy3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Myself, I have a pair of Mali Uromastyx that are awesome. To my knowledge, they get a little under 2' and they are great lizards in my opinion.

The above is a picture of my pair. The speckled one is the female and the darker yellow is the male. They are easy to care for, omnivorous, and have an insanely inquisitive attitude. I got mine from LLLreptile.com

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Melmoth said:
Without a doubt,I'd say Beardies.They can't be considered small,neither are they too large.They do have a massive personality,though :D

Agreed, at least in the midsize category. Further up the line I prefer the Argentine B&W Tegu :)

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They just got some of those Mali Uromastyx in at my local pet shop. every time I see them I cant help but laugh. I dont know why but they are just so funny looking.

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, well I can't say anything about the others but you know I have an Argentine B&W Tegu. She's become as tame as my blue tongue or my beardies now (both of these are great, how's your bluey and your savy doing?)! About 2' in length now so there's still some way to go for her. The length of the Tegu depends on which species it is. It is not uncommon for b&w tegus or red tegus to reach 4'+. Columbian tegus and blue tegus normally reach 3'+. If you decide to go with the tegus it's advised to stay away from the Columbian ones, they're supposed to be comparable to nile monitors in their temperament. Here's mine;

Last edited:

ta2edpop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Melmoth said:
I've got to second that. Beardies are pretty "common", but they are good all round critters. Two thumbs up, much better then CATS.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know beardies are not an option, they may be a little too common, but I vote for them anyway simply because they are great for beginners and have great personalities. I don't consider tegus to be the best all-around lizard. Sure, Argentine B&W's are great, but "tegu" covers all the different species, and not all make good pets. Out of the 3 above, I'd pick Ackies.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are more potential "best medium sized lizards" NOT on this poll list than there are on it, which makes it a useless poll. All things considered, beardies and uros are about as good as it gets in a mid-sized "pet" lizard.

Steve

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is no question that beareded dragons are one of the best pet lizards. They were my favorite until I got ackies. Here are some of the things that are better about ackies.
1. They are more active and more alert.
2. They hunt like komodo dragons.
3. They "take and shake" prey.

Like bearded dragons they stay small, and are easily handled.

I have leopard geckos, bearded dragons, sheltopusiks, curly tailed lizards, giant leaf tailed geckos, and ackies. I love them all, but ackies are amazing.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't really consider a Tegu a "medium" sized lizard, but I do consider it one of the coolest pets there is.

Insanely tame, far more tame than any other lizard (including a bearded dragon) I have ever owned. They're very active and curious. If mine is out of his cage, he'll often walk over to me to see what's going on (Which, I'm sure, is his way of saying "I WANT FOOD!").

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even though none of these are on the list I would have to say either a beared dragon, Uromastyx or crested gecko.