Behavior question- second Emp added to tank

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Alright, for those who aren't familiar with my ancient posts here, I've had emps before and in groups but this is the first time I started with one and added another. I added a second emp to my current solitary emp and noticed their behavior and found it interesting. It left me with a few questions for anyone who might have experience or an invertebrate-related profession.

The first emp, Dr.Claw, is a mature male, and likely older. He isn't terribly active and eats very seldom.

The new one is possibly sub-adult, hopefully female, very active, and a good eater.

I separated them and rearranged the tank to make it "new" to both of them and I made sure there were plenty of places to hide. Then I introduced one, then the other. Dr.Claw, normally a pet rock, chased the new emp around, pinched at it and even at one point tried to sting (I blocked his attempt). The otherwise feisty new scorpion backed into a corner and basically submitted. I moved one to another side of the tank where there was a hide and waited a few minutes. They each took up residence in different places, the new guy grabbed a roach and made himself at home. And to my surprise, not long after, they're both peacefully sharing one hide and the new one was still eating. Not a problem since.

So, this got me to wondering, do communal scorpions have the same kind of alpha/beta social structure seen in animals that live in packs, like wolves? Or was Dr.Claw merely challenging the new one to see if it was a threat, and backed off when the other submitted? I find these questions fascinating, since their "brains" are so primitive.

Insights appreciated!

Pandinus97

Arachnopeon
I would assume this could have possibly been a terretorial dispute over dominance, i have no evidence to support this though. Your emps should be fine as long as you feed them both a roach so they do not get the hunger pains and go after another emp's prey item.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I always leave a few dubia in all my tanks, since they don't pose a threat to Ts/Scorps like those vile crickets do, so finding prey shouldn't be an issue. The one that ate last night actually ripped an adult male dubia from the crack between the lid and backdrop of the Exo Terra. The other one doesn't eat much at all. I'd swear he hasn't eat since I got him months ago if it were for finding an occasional roach wing in the substrate.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Sounds like a normal case of getting to know each other. Also, Pandinus imperator is a very slow growing species that is known to fast for months, so don't worry.