beginner true spider?

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
Ok, so I've been looking at beginner tarantulastarantula and that got me thinking "I wonder if there is a beginner true spider" so what the title says.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would go with a sp. of wolf spider. Perhaps a grass spider? I don't know a lot of true spider latin names.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I started with regular house spiders such as cobweb weavers and domestic house spiders.

If you want spiders from outside grass spiders, jumping spiders, and wolf spiders.

I'd recommend jumping spiders, they have tons of personality and are great pets. Jumping spiders are easy to care for and eat very well.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beginner Spiders!

What kind are you looking for? A heavy webbing spider? A ground hunter? I've found over time that the best option would be a type of wolf spider. They are common in most areas as either the hogna genus, arctosa, alopecosa, and many others. They chase down their prey so you wouldn't have to deal with webs. Another great option is the house spider. Not as common in my area, but still not a huge web builder.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
At the moment not sure. I was thinking a trapdoor spider. But what substrate do you use? And do you have to keep the substrate wet?

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
SophieLens_2013_05_10_15_11_08.jpg Wolfie3.jpg WP_20130513_003.jpg I just recently found a Dolomedes species. VERY INTERESTING! They are a species of fishing spider apparently. Very cool!

Attachments

Brachypelmo

Arachnopeon
I personaly wouldn't recommend a trapdoor as a beginer spider. I would recommend starting with something less agressive and dangerous also something that would be a little more active. With all my trapdoors and I'm sure a lot of people would probably agree its like having pet dirt, unless you have them build their burrow along the walls of enclosure where you can see them a bit. True spiders tend to be quicker and some more dangerous than tarantulas. So read up on species you are considering and check on venom classification. I also keep venomous snakes and have for over 15 years now but it didn't happen over night. I always tell people that want to get into "Hot" stuff is to start off with slow non venomous snakes then move on to fast non venoumous snakes then eventually a slow mild venomous snake. I mean you wouldn't want to just run out and buy a mamba. I guess you can kind of treat spiders the same way start off with slow spiders with low or mild venom then something faster with still low to mild venom then years later after lots and lots of reading and learning you think you want "hot" spiders then do so carefully. I cannot stress enough how important I believe it is to educate yourself about any animal you want to house. Look through books and sites and see what catches your eye educate yourself get an enclosure set up and when ready then go out and buy or catch it. Never go to pet stores or shows without an idea of what you want, and just buy something because it's cheap.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
I personaly wouldn't recommend a trapdoor as a beginer spider. I would recommend starting with something less agressive and dangerous also something that would be a little more active. With all my trapdoors and I'm sure a lot of people would probably agree its like having pet dirt, unless you have them build their burrow along the walls of enclosure where you can see them a bit. True spiders tend to be quicker and some more dangerous than tarantulas. So read up on species you are considering and check on venom classification. I also keep venomous snakes and have for over 15 years now but it didn't happen over night. I always tell people that want to get into "Hot" stuff is to start off with slow non venomous snakes then move on to fast non venoumous snakes then eventually a slow mild venomous snake. I mean you wouldn't want to just run out and buy a mamba. I guess you can kind of treat spiders the same way start off with slow spiders with low or mild venom then something faster with still low to mild venom then years later after lots and lots of reading and learning you think you want "hot" spiders then do so carefully. I cannot stress enough how important I believe it is to educate yourself about any animal you want to house. Look through books and sites and see what catches your eye educate yourself get an enclosure set up and when ready then go out and buy or catch it. Never go to pet stores or shows without an idea of what you want, and just buy something because it's cheap.
I get what your saying and I just read up on some trapdoor spiders. I have many questions about them before I got one it's on the things to get list though.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
Most available trapdoors, while defensive, are not hot nor dangerous.
I didn't think they were hot. But it still will be a while before I get one I'm not worried about their speed or aggressiveness. It's just that I am still researching them and still have a few questions about them before I'd get one.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I didn't think they were hot. But it still will be a while before I get one I'm not worried about their speed or aggressiveness. It's just that I am still researching them and still have a few questions about them before I'd get one.
No worries - it is good to do research ahead of time. Just didn't want you to think a relatively harmless spider was dangerous.

akarikuragi

Arachnosquire
I started out with a brown widow (Latrodectus geometricus) and other than being a pain to feed anything other than flies (since my girl set up shop in the top corner of her enclosure and my roaches can't climb plastic... XD) I think they are really easy spiders to care for. Being a widow spider their venom can present a significant health risk, but they are not a very aggressive/defensive species. They also aren't particularly fast, and when you bother them most often they will run to their "home base" and try to shrink as much as possible, and if that fails they play dead.

Jumping spiders are also awesome and have the biggest personalities. I've never owned one before but will be getting a bold jumping spider (Phidippus audax) soon, and I have cared for a few of them for a week or two at a time when I was collecting spiders for my biology teacher. They are really neat and I would suggest them as well. : )

Msh

Arachnosquire
I'd throw my vote for jumping spiders followed by wolf spiders. Both have great feeding responses, interesting to watch hunting techniques, easy to care for, and you shouldn't have a problem finding them around you.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Let's clear the air on a few things here about trapdoors

-They are not aggressive, and really, not very defensive unless you pester them outside their burrow where they feel very defenseless and stressed. I've handled mine many times, and only seen them rear back when I pester them.
-No species of trapdoor spider are documented as having medically significant venom. Quite the contrary, most are known for having a very weak venom.
-They are definitely a class of "Pet dirt". But, when they get comfortable in their home (takes awhile) you will start to see their legs at the brim of the trapdoor while they wait for food. Carefully and without making much noise or shaking the enclosure, drop a cricket in. This is a major reason I use no lid on my trapdoors (not recommended unless you have experience). I can walk up, see it waiting, drop a cricket, and watch it mow down.

Of all the spiders I've kept (from sheet webs, dwarfs, jumpers, fishers, wolves, funnel-webs, funnel-weavers, tarantulas, purse-webs, sac spiders, ground spiders, you name it!) I think trapdoors are still on the top 3 of my favorite ones to keep. Nothing beats watching a spider that resembles a demon claw rip a cricket down into his liar. Video doesn't do it justice, you gotta see it in person.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
i consider trapdoors good beginner spiders. Just dont hold 'em. lol

i always thought they looked awesome with those thick powerful legs, i like the shiny smooth look to them, as well.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Personally i would start with your (house spider) types, cause they are free and (easy to feed), that does go for wolf spiders, orb weavers etc, for one they are the true spiders of existence, living out side without human influence (unless caught lol). your choice as you can find many spiders outside your house.

tony119

Arachnopeon
how about brown recluse spider? is it good as pet?
i know its very dangerous.
... and scary.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
While reluctant to bite, loxosceles are very fast and, if you do get bit, you could potentially be in a lot of trouble. I would say work with other spiders before moving to loxosceles.