beginner tarantula

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
KJE said:
Anyway, I was leaning toward an Avic, but am concerned about the humidity and temp. they require. During the winter months my home drops to about 65 at night and is about 72 during the day. I am fearful to use a heating element because it will dry out the cage. I would love to start with a young T so I can watch it grow up, but I would also like to have a female since they live longer. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Sorry about hijacking this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.
I used to be worried about these two things as well (heat and humidity), but have learned that they are not nearly as much of an issue as I thought they were. Those temps should be ok. 65 if probably borderline, but as long as it isn't much lower won't be a problem. I asked a similar question not too long ago about humidity as well, and the experts seemed to agree that occasional misting would be all that an Avic would need. I say if you want an Avic, get one!!! Personally, I like the terrestrials because they get a little bigger and fatter. The jet black G. pulchra is my personal favorite and is an excellent T that can be handled (as much as any T can be handled that is). My next T will probably be an A. versicolor.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vys said:
Speaking from an inkling of own experience, I'd say 'cobalt redrumps' would make very good first pets. Mine was beautiful, beautiful, and as sweet as can be. Not as rocky as a rosie, not as fasting as my aphonopelma.
Yes, the Cyclosternum sp? (Cobalt Redrump) is a great T. That was my first tarantula. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. When he matured, I sent him out for breeding but unfortunately, his mate made a dinner date out of the affair. Worse yet, the mating was unsuccessful. But, he was a great tarantula.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Schlyne said:
Another way you might be able to provide some sort of backup heat is an under the tank heater, flexwatt, or heat tape. I have no experience with the latter two, and I don't know how an an under the tank heater would work for T's.

But those are some heating ideas that don't dry out the air as much. I would not recommend using any of without some research. Also, you might want to be sure that if you're going to use any of that on plastic, be sure you're not going to create a fire hazard, or melt the plastic.

I'm sure other people with more experience can give you more advice, but those are three things I know of.
Actually, from most of what I have read, tank heaters are not really recommended for tarantulas. First, they tend to dry the tank out too quickly. Secondly, they can cause an overheating situation. Tarantulas are actually pretty hearty critters and do quite well at room temperature. As long as the room is in the 70's, you should not need any type of extra heat for the tarantulas. In the event that the room is cooler, you are safer bringing the temperature of the whole room up by using a space heater or something similar, rather than heating the individual tank.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Buspirone said:
I can agree with boring but since I own a red phase rosie I can't agree with ugly. ;P
red-phase rosie is of course, the exception to the rule. They are very pretty.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Hey, that was my male in that tank! I sent my mature male to Phil several years ago. Unfortunately, he didn't survive the mating. It was nice to see a picture of him after all these years.
Haha :)
Shall I take this as another sign that they're rather rare? :/ Have you ever seen any spiderlings of this species?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vys said:
Haha :)
Shall I take this as another sign that they're rather rare? :/ Have you ever seen any spiderlings of this species?
No, I haven't. The last I heard from Phil back then was that nothing, other than my poor male sacrifising himself for the cause, came of the mating attempt.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Actually, from most of what I have read, tank heaters are not really recommended for tarantulas. First, they tend to dry the tank out too quickly. Secondly, they can cause an overheating situation. Tarantulas are actually pretty hearty critters and do quite well at room temperature. As long as the room is in the 70's, you should not need any type of extra heat for the tarantulas. In the event that the room is cooler, you are safer bringing the temperature of the whole room up by using a space heater or something similar, rather than heating the individual tank.

I was just throwing out some other options that I knew of. My house temperature dips into 67-69 if it's really cold outside, but my t's have a red heat lamp aimed at them for supplemental heat. (I check the temps frequently, and the heat is diffused enough so they're not getting too hot. I mist if they need it, and i run a room humidifier. The T's live in the same room as the majority of my herps who need a 50 to 60% (or higher) humidity requirement.).