Beginner Spider?

AutumnalWhisper

Arachnopeon
So, I've been intensively researching about Tarantulas the last few weeks and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for good starter tarantulas? I have zero experience with dealing with them but I stumbled on a picture of a P. Metallica and my end goal is to one day have one.

Also hi, I'm Autumn or Whisper!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Euathlus sp. "red" is a great starter spider but hard to come by. Grammostola pulchra is also great, but also hard to come by. Brachypelma albopilosum looks kinda dull as far as coloration goes but they're readily available and a great starter T.

H3nry

Arachnopeon
brachypelma hamorii Is a good beginner species it’s a beautiful spider and very hardy species with easy care requirements fairly common and cheap in the hobby

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, make sure that P. metallica is further down the road. With that out of the way, there are several choices. I'll list a few of the more popular recommendastions and others can complete the list.

B. albopilosum is a popular suggestion. Pretty mellow, neat in appearance due to the long curly setae (hair) ans undemanding in regard to care.
B. smithi (Edit: Doh! B. hamorii) is another popular choice. A classic, and very attractive. A fairly slow grower, however, something to consider when choosing whether get a s'ling (spideling) or a juvenile/adult. Some report that they can be rather prone to kick hairs, which can be itchy upon contact
G. pulchchripes gets many thumbs up. Usually very laid back, and quite attractive with their golden yellow leg bands. these get pretty big, too. A plus for many folks

Now, the next two are open to debate. Because A) They are aggressive feeders. Not overly defensive, but prone to think anything moving is food. Not spiders that you want to put your fingers close to. And B) they are notorious for being quick to kick very irritating hairs. That said, the contenders are.

A. geniculata. A gorgeous black and white tarantula. Grows very fast and eats like a horse and gets quite large. A personal favourite.
L. parahybana. Also one of the big boys and very fast growers as well. Some consider them boring to look at, but I disagree with that. And they are very cheap as s'lings and commonly offered as "freebies" with an order.

The care for all I've listed is easy, with few special requirements.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
The T's miss moxie mentioned are great beginner species. Most of the species from the Brachypelma and Grammastola are good beginner species. If I were to recommend a specific one to you it would be Brachypelma albopilosum, The curly hair tarantula. P. metallica are super pretty but all so super fast and venomous. You'll need to be an experienced keeper to keep one of those beauties.

AutumnalWhisper

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I figured because of how quick, the venom and from what I read, P. metallica can be 'aggressive' so I thought that would wind up being one of my end goals. Thank you so much guys! I'm enjoying looking up to see what you guys are suggesting. (I'm also wicked excited to become a T momma)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah I definitely wouldn't get a Pokie until you've successfully kept an adult Psalmopoeus species. Slings don't count because while they're still fast, they're usually more subdued and will choose flight instead of fight. When they get older, however...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

I found this video on my phone while deleting pictures the other day. This was my female Poecilotheria metallica back when I still had her. I was blowing against the vents to get her to show off her speed.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
brachypelma hamorii Is a good beginner species it’s a beautiful spider and very hardy species with easy care requirements fairly common and cheap in the hobby
Definitely not cheap.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Some usually recommend cheap spiders as their first. I like to recommend something more upscale or not very common, like a Grammostola pulchra. So should you decide the hobby is not for you, it's easy to sell them as well. Another would be Caribena versicolor, they look like walking rainbows. The only time it'll practically bite is when you grab the spider and stab yourself with its fangs. Again, specimens showing adult colors will sell pretty fast as well. Another is Grammostola sp. concepcion. This is attractive and are rarely available for sale. A seller is selling 2 females for $80.00 each - http://arachnoboards.com/threads/few-ts-for-sale-some-mms-mfs-pair.299773/#post-2699505

That said, I don't like to recommend "default-beginner" spiders, which are probably species that even your local pet shop has.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Some usually recommend cheap spiders as their first. I like to recommend something more upscale, like a Grammostola pulchra. So should you decide the hobby is not for you, it's easy to sell them as well. Another would be Caribena versicolor, they look like walking rainbows. The only time it'll practically bite is when you grab the spider and stab yourself with its fangs. Again, specimens showing adult colors will sell pretty fast as well. Another is Grammostola sp. concepcion. This is attractive and are rarely available for sale. A seller is selling 2 females for $80.00 each - http://arachnoboards.com/threads/few-ts-for-sale-some-mms-mfs-pair.299773/#post-2699505

That said, I don't like to recommend "default-beginner" spiders, which are probably species that even your local pet shop has.
That's not true, if you look in the bite reports C. versicolor has quite a few instances of biting. Caribena/Avicularia/Ybyrapora are also rather delicate tarantulas, and not the best suggestion for a beginner.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
That's not true, if you look in the bite reports C. versicolor has quite a few instances of biting. Caribena/Avicularia/Ybyrapora are also rather delicate tarantulas, and not the best suggestion for a beginner.

Reports that were viewed rather comically due to the unlikelihood of it happening. IMO the fragility belief was caused by the time when people thought they need high humidity, which caused random deaths, and even after debunking that faulty husbandry method, the view that they are fragile lingered. But I could be wrong.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
But yep, Miss moxie is right. Unsure if C. versi is actually a beginner species as they are reputed to just die randomly. I myself got it as one of my first two Ts, and 1/2 inches at that, but has proven to be quite hardy and growing healthily. Probably got lucky! :D

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Reports that were viewed rather comically due to the unlikelihood of it happening. IMO the fragility belief was caused by the time when people thought they need high humidity, which caused random deaths, and even after debunking that faulty husbandry method, the view that they are fragile lingered. But I could be wrong.
No, it was exaggerated by that but one of mine died for no reason, @Venom1080 lost an A. purpurea for no reason, and @Magenta's C. versicolor female wasn't doing very well despite being kept with spot on husbandry. This is all within the last couple of months.

Despite however you personally viewed it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means you're putting your own opinion on it. So telling a new person that they'd have to push the spider's fangs into their own skin isn't just misleading, it's just plain old misinformation.

OP, Any tarantula can and will bite you. I do have to say I've never seen or heard of a bite report on Euathlus sp. "red" though.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Some usually recommend cheap spiders as their first. I like to recommend something more upscale or not very common, like a Grammostola pulchra.
I like to make realistic recommendations. For a first tarantula most people get them from a lps, which is why most start with a pink toe or rosehair.

I suggest getting a rosehair or curly hair and see if the op even likes tarantulas in a couple of months.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Some sun light may have hit the purpurea cage. It was still sitting out in its webbing though. Not hunkered down in the back like I'd expect if it's cage was too hot. And it was next to 4 other cages..

All the slings in a sac aren't meant to all survive.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
C. versicolor can be very defensive. It does vary from spider to spider.

Yes. That part is correct. However, I still believe them to be fairly fragile.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I recommend you go to a site like Fear Not Tarantulas, which gives you a lot of important basic info like max size, old world/new world (this is important), terrestrial/arboreal. Pick out a couple species you like and come back with specific questions about those.

P. metallica is an old world (OW) arboreal so you'll likely want to start with a NW arboreal. Similar speed and care requirements but a less severe bite if you make a mistake. Avicularia species are going to be 'friendlier', Psalmopoeus species are going to be a little more cranky and have a little more potent venom but still not nearly as bad as the P. metallica. There's probably other new world arboreal options but those are the big two.