Beginner Scorpion

Jeffrey Swei

Arachnopeon
So I am starting to get into the scorpion hobby and wanted your opinions on a good beginner scorpion species. I was interested in this hobby before so I know heterometrus species are good. I was thinking about starting with a heterometrus swammerdami however I remember before when I was planning the costs it was pretty expensive. So I am thinking about a desert species as the terrarium won't be as big as one needed for a swammerdami. I will do way more research later on but just wanted to get an idea of which species to start with.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Sigh...
You know they made google purely to answer questions right? :angelic:
And to answer your question, any specie is a good beginner specie if you do the research, any specie is a bad specie if you don't know how to care for them.
If you want a specie that doesn't require that much care/equipment, I would go with the giant dessert hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis). These guys do well in most climates under room temperature and they are pretty cheap, they also don't require much moisture and they can grow quite big.
Obviously there is many 'beginner' species, just pick one that you like the most and do research on them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I am starting to get into the scorpion hobby and wanted your opinions on a good beginner scorpion species. I was interested in this hobby before so I know heterometrus species are good. I was thinking about starting with a heterometrus swammerdami however I remember before when I was planning the costs it was pretty expensive. So I am thinking about a desert species as the terrarium won't be as big as one needed for a swammerdami. I will do way more research later on but just wanted to get an idea of which species to start with.
Heterometrus spp. are not usually terribly expensive, unless you are in a country where they are not commonly sold or bred.

If you are looking for a good desert species as a beginner, look into an adult Hadrurus arizonensis.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I might also suggest Pandinius sp. if you are willing to spend the money for one. Also, I would suggest Vaejovis sp., and Paravaejovis sp. as they are easy to care for, are usually cheap, stay relatively small, some species can be kept communally, and there is a wide variety colors and and temperaments to choose from.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Crom

Arachnosquire
I personally think Hadogenes troglodytes are the best all around beginner scorpion. Longest on the planet, large and impressive in general, likely the most reluctant to sting of all species ive worked with