Beginner Questions (Aphonopelma chalcodes)

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
Hello! I very recently picked up an Arizona Desert blonde (Aphonopelma chalcodes) from a reptile convention from a breeder. I just rehomed her today into a 7in x 11in x 8h tub with vent holes with 3 in of eco earth, and a shallow water dish. She has eaten 3 crickets once this past week for the first time in my care.

I want to ask if she needs more substrate, bigger cage, and how many crics a week to feed her? She's about 3 inches long including the legs, and the breeder said she doesn't to burrow much if at all. Also she climbs on the sides of the cafe often, is this normal?

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If you rehoused her today give her time to settle in. This can take everything from a few days to a month (or even longer).

Climbing the walls could also mean the substrate is too wet for her liking.

Post pictures of your T and the whole enclosure. It's always easier to help when we see what's going on. ;)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Mine burrows. I know that behaviour can be different between different tarantulas but I would give at least six inches of substrate to present a burrowing opportunity.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't stress about moisture level too much, these are highly tolerant species. Dry substrate with water bowl or slightly moist with adequate ventilation and it will be fine. 1 cricket a month should suffice, unless you want an obese spider or one that fasts for many many months...unless it was recently molted or on the skinny side, then you could begin with some extra feeding. Don't be surprised if when October or November comes that it decides to stop eating, maybe burrow, and stay that way until April.

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
the breeder said they gave her 3-4 crickets twice per week and from what I've researched that is way too much. should I be worried ? she's very docile and still took food last week

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
Tarantula's won't over eat. So if you want her to grow fast keep feeding her as much as she wants to take, but at her size, if you don't feel like feeding her super often, I would feed her once every 1-2 weeks. Hope that helps!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
the breeder said they gave her 3-4 crickets twice per week and from what I've researched that is way too much. should I be worried ? she's very docile and still took food last week
The size of the enclosure seems fine, but I recommend adding some more substrate up to at least 1/3-1/2 of the enclosure depth/height. Also, many people don't recommend handling because it stresses the tarantula out much more quicker and can cause a lot of bad scenarios if things go wrong. 3-4 crickets twice per week is a bit excessive though, at that size it would be 2-3 crickets every 2 weeks. Please provide a hide in the enclosure, leaving it exposed like that is going to cause it to stress out even more in the long run. I also see no water dish, which is a not a good sign.

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
The size of the enclosure seems fine, but I recommend adding some more substrate up to at least 1/3-1/2 of the enclosure depth/height. Also, many people don't recommend handling because it stresses the tarantula out much more quicker and can cause a lot of bad scenarios if things go wrong. 3-4 crickets twice per week is a bit excessive though, at that size it would be 2-3 crickets every 2 weeks. Please provide a hide in the enclosure, leaving it exposed like that is going to cause it to stress out even more in the long run. I also see no water dish, which is a not a good sign.
there is a water dish! I'm sorry it wasn't in the picture. I just refilled it today and it has a small sponge inside to prevent drowning

Attachments

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
I will add more substrate and feed about 3 crickets per 2 weeks and I'm also buying a hide tomorrow for her, I just didn't have it at the moment

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
I won't handle her except maybe once a month if that because I know they like to be left alone <3 thank you all for the advice I will take it to heart !

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
If you are worried about stress, there is no reason to take her out ever.
I think they meant one a week maybe.
I won't take her out often at all if ever, I want her to be comfortable and healthy. I just held her at the reptile show as my first tarantula to grow my love of T's. I already have fish and snakes I respect and obviously don't touch so I'm perfectly okay with letting her stay in her safe space ^_^

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Fill the enclosure about halfway with substrate and provide a hide (a piece of bark just bigger than the tarantula is ideal).

At that size I'd only feed it one cricket once a fortnight unless you want it to fast for months at a time

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
Fill the enclosure about halfway with substrate and provide a hide (a piece of bark just bigger than the tarantula is ideal).

At that size I'd only feed it one cricket once a fortnight unless you want it to fast for months at a time
I'm sorry but could you define once a fornite? is she an adult size already?

paqerstars

Arachnopeon
I just doubled her substrate so it's about half earth/air and I will get her a hide in the morning