beginner old worlds?

Jeffery Slavko

Arachnopeon
im going to a expo this weekend i got some cash saved up and i would like to venture into keeping old worlds. my question is what would be some good old Worlds to start with. my wife bought me a h mac as a gift a few months ago with out knowing its speed an potent venom so i have sum experience with them. so any good intro species would be a great help thanks.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
If you have an H.mac and you're doing fine then you're good for just about anything. Have you rehoused it or in any way had to interact with the H.mac yet?

aikouikirisu

Arachnopeon
how bout in ur opinion
Personally i have not had an old world, but i have watched a number of videos on them. On YouTube, Tom's Big Spiders, has suggested M. balfouri is a good beginner baboon species and I quote "if there was such a thing". He literally says this in the video on it. I honestly have thought of getting one when i graduate to old worlds (if i ever get one). Very beautiful T and probably one of the best communal species. I know im gonna get a naysayer to the word communal. I get why, but i have seen a number of successful M. balfouri communals. They thrive in communals and from what i hear you can mox and match the ages. Meaning you can have slings with adults. However, i want to do more research before I mess with old worlds or communals (with species that do well with it).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you have an H.mac and you're doing fine then you're good for just about anything. Have you rehoused it or in any way had to interact with the H.mac yet?
Well, not if that H. maculata is a sling.

C. darlingi (or any Ceratogyrus spp. really) and M. balfouri make good starter OW's. I define "good" by being less defensive mostly. These will all generally run and hide rather than put up a fight. If you got bit from one of these, then you were frankly not behaving properly. Surprisingly, Phlogius spp. fit the bill quite well in my experience as well, but they're a lot faster and have worse venom. They just don't fight and would rather run and hide.

Jeffery Slavko

Arachnopeon
my h mac is pretty calm for the most part an just stays in its burrow an yes i re housed it as a sling from the pet shops container to a half gallon grab jar she ended up running up the catch cup an up my arm scary scary but i did catch her safely lesson learned but i havent had to really interact with her since then cuz like i said she stays in her home wen ever i do maintenance to her enclosure thats why im asking yes ive been keeping a old world but it doesnt feel like it haha

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'm another one that doesn't own any OWs (I currently have no choice but to house my tarantulas in the same room as my rabbits and therefore refuse to get any in the event that any OWs were ever to escape), so perhaps I shouldn't be making suggestions, but I do see Ceratogyrus sp. and Augacephalus ezendami mentioned a lot

Malo

Arachnopeon
my h mac is pretty calm for the most part an just stays in its burrow an yes i re housed it as a sling from the pet shops container to a half gallon grab jar she ended up running up the catch cup an up my arm scary scary but i did catch her safely lesson learned but i havent had to really interact with her since then cuz like i said she stays in her home wen ever i do maintenance to her enclosure thats why im asking yes ive been keeping a old world but it doesnt feel like it haha
Well that's why they're asking. If I had an OBT sling for 6 months, that doesn't necessarily mean I've had good experience with old world's.

What other Tarantulas have you kept?

Minty

@londontarantulas
Considering you’ve already got a species that’s considered an advanced old world, I’d go for one of the tarantulas. They’re absolutely stunning, are also arboreal, so you’ll have some OW arboreal experience. Poecilotheria regalis would be a good starting point, in my opinion.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have 2 Ceratogyrus species, a marshalli and a paviei. They have gone from run and hide as slings to run and hide, then pop right back out and up the webbing as juveniles. Both are very bold now so feeding is an adventure and requires extra care, lol. Just keep in mind OW behavior ( or any T for that matter) changes as they grow. That said, I quite like the marshalli, it's always out and about.

EDIT: My brain isn't working..I just realized the paviei is a Chilobrachys which requires a bit more care as far as moisture goes, but an awesome little spider regardless. Sigh, it's been a long day.

Jeffery Slavko

Arachnopeon
N chromatus b hamorii g pulchripes g rosea b vagans p irminia p cambridgei b albo avic avic b emilia a seemanni Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large couple scorps an a centipede and i might be forgetting one or 2

m
Well that's why they're asking. If I had an OBT sling for 6 months, that doesn't necessarily mean I've had good experience with old world's.

What other Tarantulas have you kept?
my h mac isnt my only t i gave a list an i didnt claim to have good exprience with old just sum with said h mac hence the reason im asking for an intro old world

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffery Slavko

Arachnopeon
I have 2 Ceratogyrus species, a marshalli and a paviei. They have gone from run and hide as slings to run and hide, then pop right back out and up the webbing as juveniles. Both are very bold now so feeding is an adventure and requires extra care, lol. Just keep in mind OW behavior ( or any T for that matter) changes as they grow. That said, I quite like the marshalli, it's always out and about.

EDIT: My brain isn't working..I just realized the paviei is a Chilobrachys which requires a bit more care as far as moisture goes, but an awesome little spider regardless. Sigh, it's been a long day.
ive been drooling over the marshallis so that might be it right there thank u so much

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have A ezendami, it is my first OW and is a sling. Seems like it will be an easy enough species to keep. The venom isn't so potent and it isn't as fast as many OWs, or even some NWs (I have a Hapalopus sp Colombia, for example and that thing is fast). This T, I do have to tell you, does seem to have an eating disorder. It never eats! Or at least, it has not eaten once since I got the little bugger from @cold blood and it even molted once. Apparently this is typical. I hope this little T learns to feel better about his body and starts eating some of the food I am throwing his way. :rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Considering you don’t have a lot of OW experience it’s quite possible the H mac will outgrow your skill set, but maybe not.

The best beginner genus is Ceratogyrus, M. balfouri is a good species. And I mira are excellent but you will rarely see them- it’s the only terrestrial trapdoor tarantula know to science.