Beginner Millipede Keeper

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Hello! I decided to take the plunge and order my first invert pets today. I chose millipedes because they're easy to care for and generally tolerate handling well. I went with a scarlet millipede, a bumblebee millipede, an Oregon Tylobolus millipede, a Smoky Oak millipede, and a Texas Gold Orthoporus ornatus from Peter Clausen at bugsincyberspace.com (who by the way is a very friendly and knowledgeable guy). I already have their habitat set up in a Sterilite container. Their substrate is a mix of peat moss, coconut fiber, and sterilized decaying oak leaves. Any tips for a newbie?

Attachments

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Hello! I decided to take the plunge and order my first invert pets today. I chose millipedes because they're easy to care for and generally tolerate handling well. I went with a scarlet millipede, a bumblebee millipede, an Oregon Tylobolus millipede, a Smoky Oak millipede, and a Texas Gold Orthoporus ornatus from Peter Clausen at bugsincyberspace.com (who by the way is a very friendly and knowledgeable guy). I already have their habitat set up in a Sterilite container. Their substrate is a mix of peat moss, coconut fiber, and sterilized decaying oak leaves. Any tips for a newbie?
I would get the special millipede substrate from Peter as well -- full of nutrition for them! I know of nothing wrong with adding some peat moss and coconut fiber, but neither shall provide them with any nutritional value. I also like to put an area of sphagnum moss in one part of the enclosure and keep this wet, so as the water spreads out, a moisture gradient is created and the millipedes can choose where they are most comfortable.

Finally, I would recommend getting springtails (Peter also sells these under the feeder/cleaning crew section) as I have read that these help control mold and make it more difficult for unwanted pests to take up residence.

Good luck and enjoy your new charges! :)

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, did Peter mention anything about keeping the Texas Gold with the others you mentioned? It is not among the species I keep, but I understand that it appreciated higher ventilation than most other hobby millipede species.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Also, did Peter mention anything about keeping the Texas Gold with the others you mentioned? It is not among the species I keep, but I understand that it appreciated higher ventilation than most other hobby millipede species.
I didn't mention to him what species I was getting, but I think I will be fine. There are six good sized holes in the lid of the container I plan on keeping them in, and I think will have the lid off pretty often.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
I would get the special millipede substrate from Peter as well -- full of nutrition for them! I know of nothing wrong with adding some peat moss and coconut fiber, but neither shall provide them with any nutritional value. I also like to put an area of sphagnum moss in one part of the enclosure and keep this wet, so as the water spreads out, a moisture gradient is created and the millipedes can choose where they are most comfortable.

Finally, I would recommend getting springtails (Peter also sells these under the feeder/cleaning crew section) as I have read that these help control mold and make it more difficult for unwanted pests to take up residence.

Good luck and enjoy your new charges! :)
Okay. I will add his substrate and moss to my next order. I will also consider adding springtails to my habitat. Thank you!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah the substrate should mostly consist of rotten wood and dead leaves, that's a huge part of the millipede's diet. The other stuff is OK to add in, but more than %50 of the substrate should consist of rotten wood and leaves.

Other than that, your setup looks pretty good! :)

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Yeah the substrate should mostly consist of rotten wood and dead leaves, that's a huge part of the millipede's diet. The other stuff is OK to add in, but more than %50 of the substrate should consist of rotten wood and leaves.

Other than that, your setup looks pretty good! :)
I have a ton of oak leaves. I wasn't sure how many to add. Thanks for the help!

Chris52

Arachnoknight
There. I added more than double the amount of leaves I had in my setup.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Cool, got any wood in there?

You can never really have too much oak leaves lol! Wish there was more oak here!
I live in southern Ohio where oak trees are plentiful. I have some bark and wood pieces mixed into my substrate.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
My millipede order should arrive on Friday. Anyone else have information to share with me?

7tisix

Arachnopeon
Two books have helped me a good bit. Giant Millipedes - The Enthusiast's Handbook and Millipeds in Captivity, both by Orin McMonigle.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
Based on USPS tracking, my millipedes may actually get here tomorrow. I will upload pics. Thank you everyone for your support!

Chris52

Arachnoknight
All millipedes are in the habitat, but the Orthoporus ornatus is not doing well. It was very active when it arrived, but hours after I put it in the habitat its back half became limp and it moved very very slowly. Now it is completely limp and can only move its antennae and occasionally one of its front legs. Does anyone know what's causing it to die? How can I tell when it's dead? I don't think it's a matter of if, but when. How do I dispose of its body?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
All millipedes are in the habitat, but the Orthoporus ornatus is not doing well. It was very active when it arrived, but hours after I put it in the habitat its back half became limp and it moved very very slowly. Now it is completely limp and can only move its antennae and occasionally one of its front legs. Does anyone know what's causing it to die? How can I tell when it's dead? I don't think it's a matter of if, but when. How do I dispose of its body?
I'm very sorry to hear that! :( They do require more ventilation and perhaps there was too much humidity/moisture for them, although I am astonished by the speed of its demise. Did this happen on the surface of the substrate or did it burrow into the substrate and then you found it this way? Especially if it is the latter, it is probably getting ready to molt and I would urge you to not disturb it further! I found one of my Narceus gordanus in the substrate, unmoving and discolored -- I thought that it was dying but I left it on top of the substrate, hoping it could recover. Several hours later, it had molted and it lay beside its shed exoskeleton! They are still unable to move at this point and will be for quite some time -- I gently misted mine and after several days, I very carefully put a small amount of soft substrate and damp sphagnum moss over it. Millipedes are VERY vulnerable while molting and I am very fortunate that my Narceus gordanus suffered no ill effects. You might see what happened to my poor Chicobolus spinigerus when it was injured while molting. :( Millipedes should never be disturbed while curled up and should never be dug out of the substrate.

I would recommend letting your Orthoporus ornatus be. If indeed it molts today, then I would recommend doing as I did with my Narceus gordanus, protecting it from drying out but be VERY CAREFUL and do NOT touch it as their new exoskeleton has not hardened and they are VERY vulnerable to injury! I hope that yours is only molting and not dying -- keep us updated!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Alas, it does not sound good for your Orthoporus ornatus. :( Mastigoproctus posted this in his advice to me on keeping this species:
They are super prone to dying from limp back (some sort of fungal infection causes this I think) if kept too moist so they need high ventilation in my experience. Use 70% sand and 30% coco fiber then mix in the the 2lb composite millipede substrate from bugs in cyberspace (I make my own but they offer a great mix!).
If your millipede survives and/or you get more Orthoporus ornatus, I believe that you will need to keep them separately from your other millipedes. Your others should be fine in the container you described -- that is what I keep my others in: a sterilite container with some small ventilation holes, BugsInCyberspace millipede substrate, a few pieces of hardwood and lots of leaf litter, and a moist corner where I have sphagnum moss and their water dish. (Btw, I have seen my Narceus gordanus out and about more since rearranging my terraria so that they are even further from the window and another sterilite container (with isopods) is on top of them. They do not like to come out into light.)

I am sorry that I could not give you better advice for your Orthoporus ornatus in advance! :( I have not yet had this gorgeous species and am just learning about them myself. I hope that your other millipedes are still doing well!

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Forgive me as I did not read this sooner, I am very busy with work and online work. Limp back is fatal unfortunately, in every case I've ever seen. It's a sad situation but I suggest drying the specimen or preserving it, well that's what I do. Take it out of the enclousers with the others, not sure it's good to keep it with them for fear of infections(it may not be infectious but I'm always cautious with this sort of thing) and put it and a deli cup with sand completely dry. If you'd like to know the best drying methods that won't discolor it send me a PM, you need to strat the process quickly after death if you want to do this.