Beginner Grammostola pulchra enclosure question

Sandro

Arachnopeon
Hi have a quick question on enclosure
I am a beginner so please 😆 dont chew my head off i was wondering can I get away with a exo terra 18x18x12 enclosure for a 2.5" Grammostola pulchra i do no the rule of thumb but just wondering

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Exo terra enclosures can work great for some arboreal species, with a few modifications. But for a terrestrial tarantula, they're generally not recommended. There's not room for enough substrate in the bottom and these enclosures are usually too tall, which can cause a risk of injury to a tarantula like G. pulchra. It's also generally better to keep slings and juvenile tarantulas in smaller enclosures. That way it's easier for them to find food and they're easier to keep track of. I use a lot of critter keepers and they work pretty well. They're cheap and easy to modify without looking junky. If you get some clear plastic food containers from Walmart or something you can also drill or melt ventilation holes into the sides and top.

Sambro

Arachnosquire
(Is this a troll? I can't tell..)

The issue as others have stated is too much height because of the double doors, you will not be able to add a good amount of substrate to stop the T from falling.

Head over to your local pet shop and grab a Kritter Keeper, very affordable too. If you put your T in this current exo it will most likely have a fall and your just end up with a dead expensive tarantula.

If you having to ask if this is a suitable enclosure, you definitely have NOT done enough research. With a quick google search of enclosures for a terrestrial T, they will all explain that putting this T in a tall enclosure will most likely have a fall. Plus, I'll be betting which one would kill/injure your T first with the wire mesh top.

I would do way more research @Sandro before getting this T, or you'll be back asking tons of questions or harming your T.

I have to place some information below

Another AB staff member was kind enough to put together a post for beginners to get into the hobby.
Please do your research.

cold blood

Staff member
If you having to ask if this is a suitable enclosure, you definitely have NOT done enough research
You do realize that people come here for their research, right? Isn't that exactly what the op is doing by posting his/her questions.

I dont get being critical of someone for not doing research, while they are here, posting and dead in the middle of doing just that.....isnt it easier to either help or just pass by the thread?

Nothing personal sambro, its not just you and I dont mean to bring it on you as that's also not quite fair either, so dont take this personally.....but it would be nice if, in general, people could be a little more understanding that this forum IS a valid place for doing their research...IMO one of the best. Think about it, had they went elsewhere and researched for weeks, how much of that research would even be valid? We correct bad info from those researching in the wrong places all the time. IMO the op is in a good place to get valid info.

Head over to your local pet shop and grab a Kritter Keeper, very affordable too. If you put your T in this current exo it will most likely have a fall and your just end up with a dead expensive tarantula
Agreed...helpful advice