1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner GBB Owner Question

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Alix, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Alix

Alix Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    This weekend I decided to get my first T, from an experienced friend's advice I got myself a GBB sling.

The T came in a smallish pill bottle like container and is currently close to but less than 1". When reading about GBB care it has often said that they need dry environments, but also to have a small water dish for some humidity. In the current container I have the T in there is not room for a water dish. Should I immediately rehouse the T into a bit bigger container, or could I put some water droplets in a corner of the tube to ensure proper moisture for when it is going to molt?

It has been acting fine so far, it ate the day that I bought it and has also been webbing up the inside of the tube.

2. Minty

Minty Previously mmcg Arachnosupporter

London
    Add a small amount of water, let it dry out over a week, then add some more.

You can add a water dish once it's in a bigger enclosure, once it grows.

Tarantulas get most of their moisture from the prey they eat, so don't freak out about it too much.

3. Alix

Alix Arachnopeon

Thanks, that's what I thought. This is my first time keeping a carnivorous invert so I am still learning about how they get all the nutrients that they need as well as what kind of care I have to provide in their environment. :)

4. Minty

Minty Previously mmcg Arachnosupporter

London
    It's easy, you can gut load the feeders with healthy vegetables and fruit, then feed them to your tarantula. :)

Chromatopelma cyanepubescens was also my first tarantula. Absolutely brilliant species. I have two at the moment and both are male, so I need to find myself a female!

5. Otteresting

Otteresting Arachnoknight

France
    Yup same here, my first T, literally an obsession to have a colored tarantula like these. I think that when it will molt, it will be bigger enough to get a bigger enclosure already. Adding a waterdish is not an obligation and it seems to be a conflictual subject from what I've seen, but you can add one, or just mist the webs once a week for example. I used to water mine this way and she always drank. She used waterdishes aswell. Both works, just choose the one you prefer

6. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    They don't need a water dish for humidity they need water to drink from time to time. No tarantula needs humidity in the air.

Moisture has nothing to do with molting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Technically, my GBB has a water dish - but it's full of substrate and heavily webbed over, so she might as well not have one. I don't worry about it. She gets most of her water from her food, but I do wet a corner of the webbing a couple of times a week, just to give her the option of drinking. (I've never seen her drink yet.)

8. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Did this get into the hobby via reptile keeper so or something? Air humidity probably wouldn’t even go threw exoskeleton.
    But substrate water? Helps T. Stirmi somehow?
    Any explanation so confusing haha!:joyful:

9. Dragondrool

Dragondrool Arachnosquire

What I do is drip a few drops of water in my sling's web

10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Not necessary. There's no scientific data supporting this. They are not reptiles.

However, if you want a SMALL dish, you can get one. Need to be creative though.

Some people use monopoly hotels/houses, OR you can get on Amazon tattoo ink well containers- those are small, and would work fine.

A water bowl is a good idea for any T, esp for new keepers.