Beginner Fossorial?

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
I am new to the hobby and i was wondering what is a good fossorial tarantula(burrowing) for a beginner. I want a fossorial because burrows fascinate me.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
do you have any T's currently? If not, I would recommend a Brachypelma vagans or Brachypelma albopilosum. Both of mine burrow quite a bit. Once you have experience, you can dive into some of the Old World species like Haplopelmas or Phlogius.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think if you do the proper research you could start with anyone you want really!Most of the Asian burrowing species can be quite defensive but when properly housed with deep substrate and room to burrow they will almost always retreat into there hole when disturbed.Starting with a spiderling will also give you time to get used to how they behave and there speed so that might be a good idea!
Some of my favorite fossorial species are:
Lyrognathus crotalus
Haplopelma sp."Bach ma"
Selenocosmia arndsti

Theres plenty to choose from!
-Chris

Solucki

Arachnoknight
P. cancerides would be a good choice, underrated T IMO. Lots of attitude but still a new world so venom is relatively mild. As long as you house him properly, you'll have no problems.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Why does everyone recommend OW as beginner fossorial? Get started with something from genus Ephebopus, like E. murinus or E. cyanognathus

iPippin

Arachnosquire
Brachypelma vagans! It created a great wall of china in its enclosure then it made it into a deep tunnel. It grows very fast and it eats like a pig.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Brachys don't obligately burrow. Actually, none of my 3 brachys currently does. B. albo is a sling, B. smithi is a juvie and B. epicureanum is an adult.

iPippin

Arachnosquire
Brachys don't obligately burrow. Actually, none of my 3 brachys currently does. B. albo is a sling, B. smithi is a juvie and B. epicureanum is an adult.
Try making a hole on the soil in contact with the side of the container. They won't be able to resist that :3

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Try making a hole on the soil in contact with the side of the container. They won't be able to resist that :3
I'm okay if they are outside in the open :) My B. smithi burrowed in past, but stopped a molt or two ago. His burrow didn't look nearly as those that my obligate burrowers make (E. cyanognathus and H. lividum)

Boatman

Arachnosquire
I have (2) B vagans ~3 in.

One has an awesome tunnel around the perimeter of the enclosure!

The other one just sits on top of the substrate. :-/

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
you are right - they do not burrow as readily as an Ephebopus or Haplo. But setup the right way, they will. I suggested them because I know they will burrow if allowed and because I didn't know the OP's experience. With Brachys being generally docile and most fossorials generally being defensive, I went with Brachy.

edit: but I am with you. I prefer most of my Brachys out in the open. :)

Cydaea

Arachnosquire
My B.vagans is a burrower too, she's always underground unless she's hungry. Currently she has sealed off her burrow for no reason (I don't think she's in premolt) and she hasn't come out in weeks. I can still see her through the glass so I know she's okay.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
My B.vagans is a burrower too, she's always underground unless she's hungry. Currently she has sealed off her burrow for no reason (I don't think she's in premolt) and she hasn't come out in weeks. I can still see her through the glass so I know she's okay.
Megaphobema robustum

new world more of a hair kicker and can prepare you for ow burrowers

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am not familiar with Lyrognathus sp, and info online seems to be scarce. Have any info to share? =)

I think if you do the proper research you could start with anyone you want really!Most of the Asian burrowing species can be quite defensive but when properly housed with deep substrate and room to burrow they will almost always retreat into there hole when disturbed.Starting with a spiderling will also give you time to get used to how they behave and there speed so that might be a good idea!
Some of my favorite fossorial species are:
Lyrognathus crotalus
Haplopelma sp."Bach ma"
Selenocosmia arndsti

Theres plenty to choose from!
-Chris

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

If you want a obligate burrower, most are OW species =| I would highly recommend a Hysterocrates gigas. Digs intricate burrows, and it's love for water is very fascinating. Also in my experience has a ravenous appetite and is a faster grower than most other fossorials.

I don't know about Ephebopus, for some reason a hole that shoots out urticating hairs frightens me... XD

Last edited:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
if you want and OW burrower I recommend Ceratogyrus darlingi hardy species, you can't beat the horn and from what I hear their venom is not that bad if you get bit.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I don't know about Ephebopus, for some reason a hole that shoots out urticating hairs frightens me... XD
They have U hairs on their pedipalps, but they use them very very rarely. They are fast and they usually just disappear deep into their burrows or go straight into threat posture.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am new to the hobby and i was wondering what is a good fossorial tarantula(burrowing) for a beginner. I want a fossorial because burrows fascinate me.
DID YOU HEAR THAT? THAT WAS THE NEWBIE ALARM!

There's nothing wrong with being a newbie as long as you do something about it. After 45 years of keeping tarantulas, I still consider myself a newbie. We can trace a tarantula's ancestry back over HALF A BILLION YEARS. They've had that long to develop and fine tune their lives and lifestyles. They're incredibly complex and detailed creatures. We're gonna be playing catch-up (that's the newbie part) for a long, LONG, LONG time!

The first thing you need to understand is the KISS principle, not to infer that you're stupid. Inexperienced, maybe. Stupid, I don't think so. As proof, you can speak, read, and write English (arguably one of the more difficult languages on Planet Earth), and use a computer just fine. But, I digress. As long as you supply the basic necessities of life for your captive tarantula, the less you incorporate into its cage and care regimen, the less there is to go tragically haywire. KISS, indeed!

The second thing you need to understand is that tarantulas are like no other creature you've ever kept or even heard about before. All your ingrained assumptions and prejudices don't apply, and may even be dangerous to them. They're neither tropical fish, reptiles, birds, nor hamsters, and you don't take care of them like any of those animals. One of the biggest problems with newbies is trying to get them to abandon all their prejudices and begin to look at the world from the vastly alien perspective of a huge, fuzzy spider.

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELT.
MAKE SURE YOUR SEAT BACK AND TRAY TABLE ARE SECURED IN THEIR UPRIGHT POSITIONS.
THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE H*** OF A RIDE!

Because tarantulas are so bizarre and unique, you have a lot of homework to do. To begin, you need to read the following webpages.

1) Stan's Rant. ESPECIALLY, READ THE PART ABOUT NOT TRUSTING ANYTHING A PET SHOP TELLS YOU! AND ESPECIALLY, [Strike]READ[/Strike] STUDY THE FOUR RECOMMENDED BOOKS.

2) Myths.... Read the entire webpage tree.

3) Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula. If you don't have a Chilean rose you can safely ignore this one for now. Just remember that it's here for whenever you do get a rose. Or, you can read it out of curiosity. It contains a lot of hints applicable to other arid species.

4) Substrate. Because you need to know about this very basic, underlying part of a tarantula's existence.

5) Growing Your Tarantula. This is a global, game plan for caring for your newfound little buddy. You need to figure out where it is in the vast scheme of growth and development, then start taking care of it properly from that point onward.

6) If you can possibly spare the time, at least skim through the entire Spiders, Calgary website.

RE: YOUR QUESTION:

In the sciences and a few other hobbies, "fossorial" is used to distinguish those animals (usually mammals) that preferentially live most of their lives underground (e.g.., mole rats), as opposed to those that do so only occasionally, or never (e.g., warthogs, elk). In the hobby, "fossorial" is generally used synonymously with "terrestrial" because just about any tarantula that lives at or on the ground in nature also digs a burrow or lives under a rock or log. When the term became fashionable in the sciences several years ago, the arachnoculture hobby immediately grabbed it is as a new, fashionable buzzword, and we've not been able to rid ourselves of it since.

While most tarantulas are terrestrial/fossorial in nature, most don't dig burrows once they're older than the baby stage in captivity. Although lots of people have hazarded guesses as to why, none of them are really convincing, and we have no idea how to "correct" the situation.

There are at least two kinds of tarantulas that are considered "obligate burrowers:" King baboons (Pelenobius muticus) and cobalt blues (Haplopelma lividum). You can find a lot of information about either of these by performing the appropriate searches. (See the <Search> and <Advanced Search> buttons towards the upper right.) And, virtually every tarantula book discusses either one or both species. The four books mentioned in Stan's Rant are at least as good as any others on the market.

There is, however, fine print at the bottom of the contract:

1) Both species are Old World, meaning that they won't make good hand pets.

2) Both species have a potent venom.

a) A bite by Haplopelma lividum won't kill you, but you may wish you were dead for a day or so. JUST KIDDING! It's not all that bad, but you definitely won't be going to school or work for a few days!

b) A bite by Pelenobius muticus is likely to land you in the hospital for a day or two. While you won't die, you may think you're about to, or wish you would. AND, I'M NOT KIDDING ABOUT THIS ONE!

3) I would STRONGLY URGE you NOT to get Pelenobius muticus if you're under 18 years of age and have not had other tarantulas for several years first. There are those who might give the same advice about Haplopelma lividum. You don't need the grief. The hobby doesn't need the bad P.R. I don't need your parents on my back!

Hope this helps a little. Best of luck. Make sure your health insurance is paid up!

Enjoy your little 8-legged, troglodytes!

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
The only thing that don't understand after basic research is keeping the right humidity and i feel like that is a important aspect for a obligated burrower.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
The only thing that don't understand after basic research is keeping the right humidity and i feel like that is a important aspect for a obligated burrower.
humidity is one of those things that will vary with who you are talking to. some have kept humid species drier and just provide water and they have no problems. don't get to work up on humidity. just see it as general parameters. for instance I keep alot of haplopelmas. but I am not wetting the sub every day in fact I usually wet the sub every few months or when I think it has gotten to dry. I have a digital reader, but I hardly use it, beside not all species that burrow are humid species like c darlingi I keep mine dry and they all burrow and two just molted a week ago and I fed them last night and all is well.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well it depends on what species you are keeping but for example you will want to keep all tropical/rain forest species of tarantulas on moist substrate.Some can and will endure dry periods in the wild but they are not necessary..I use containers like this:

As you can see there are holes melted along the top for ventilation and the bottom for drainage.About once a year I will flood out all my burrowing tanks and the water easily will drain right from these holes.You can even completely submerge the spider in water while flooding and it will not harm your tarantula.
You can buy the ones above from the container store or even find nice containers to use at your local grocery store or Walmart.
Oh also worth checking here is an excellent article (in German sorry!) that shows great photos on setting up one of these Haplopelma style tanks!
Click me!
Hope this helps!
-Chris