Beginner centipedes?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
hi there, ive been keeping Ts for about 5 years and have always been interested in pedes and have decided to get one in the coming months. i was wondering if anyone had any good beginner centipedes you would recommend to a beginner.

watsy

Arachnopeon
I started off with cormocephalus brachycerus. Very simple to care for.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I'd recommend something like Scolopendra polymorpha or viridis. Scolopocryptops works too, as well as Hemiscolopendra, and Rhysida longipes. Ethmostigmus doesn't have very potent venom but should be kept more humid than the other taxa previously mentioned and they can get pretty large. Keep in mind, I'm using venom potency and hardiness as the determining factors here, not one or the other.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
A polymorpha is a great choice. For basic requirements and visibility I like Heros or arizoensis. Both impressive size and very easy to care for.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
A polymorpha is a great choice. For basic requirements and visibility I like Heros or arizoensis. Both impressive size and very easy to care for.
It's true, however, heros can pack a punch with it's venom (and mine is super hyperactive). Check out this picture below a day after getting tagged by a 6.5" one on the hand lol

Attachments

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Whoah, thats some serious swelling. For me even my large subspinipes left small welts, with some serious bone ache/burning. Same for my mature female galapagoensis with a nasty wet bite(and what I thought before had been full bites). My reaction to a 7.5" arizoensis on the skin was almost non existent.....but I sure did feel the venom! Got me a few times before I could safely remove her without hurting her.

Most certainly a wet bite judging by how long the pain endured and its intensity, though I would put it squarely with a hammer miss/fracture finger at a solid 5.8!

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
thank you all, i decided to get a polymorpha as a first.
Nice! once they get a good size they really earn a place on the shelf when you get to see them doing their thing. Just a great invert to watch when you get the chance.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Whoah, thats some serious swelling. For me even my large subspinipes left small welts, with some serious bone ache/burning. Same for my mature female galapagoensis with a nasty wet bite(and what I thought before had been full bites). My reaction to a 7.5" arizoensis on the skin was almost non existent.....but I sure did feel the venom! Got me a few times before I could safely remove her without hurting her.
Most certainly a wet bite judging by how long the pain endured and its intensity, though I would put it squarely with a hammer miss/fracture finger at a solid 5.8!
I thought it was kind of weird that the heros venom showed the most lasting damage. The original bite report I posted in Reviews/ Reports was the second time it happened, but this third time (I induced myself), was the most severe. The swelling got all the way up to my elbow joint before it stopped its spread. The swelling itself took a week to finally subside. You'd think having exposure to scolopotoxins would only increase resistance, but it seemed to have the opposite effect with me lol

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
My first pedes were 3 rhysida longipes which I still have, raised them from just little babies and now I believe they're adult size. Now I have S. Alternans that are also very small and I very rarely see any of them. I have 5 pet holes I guess. :happy:

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
hi there, ive been keeping Ts for about 5 years and have always been interested in pedes and have decided to get one in the coming months. i was wondering if anyone had any good beginner centipedes you would recommend to a beginner.
Another vote for Scolopendra polymorhpha. Easy to care for, incredibly hardy, gets large and looks good, mild venom, etc.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first few pedes were Rhysida longipes. Soon after I got a polymorpha and a few Hemiscolopendra marginata. Honestly the longipes are my favorite but S. polymorpha is a great beginner species too, as others are saying.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
due to me never seeing S polymorpha on my dealers list, i decided to get a S alternans. its 1.5". if this a bad choice, plz let me know. i plan on buying it in a few weeks.

not too sure with the care for these guys, so i would love some advice on how to keep them. i know nearly nothing.

daniel333

Arachnopeon
due to me never seeing S polymorpha on my dealers list, i decided to get a S alternans. its 1.5". if this a bad choice, plz let me know. i plan on buying it in a few weeks.

not too sure with the care for these guys, so i would love some advice on how to keep them. i know nearly nothing.
alternans are know for its powerful venom, the bite reports I've seen stated that their bite are worse than that of the subspinipes. They're fine for a beginner as long as you don't handle them, though they are quite boring to keep since they stay hidden most of the time. The care is identical to other tropical scolopendrid, deep layers of damp substrate( damp, not wet ) and a cork bark for hide. For a pedeling of that size i would use a secure deli container or a small jar for enclosure, and switch to larger jar such as these crackers tub as they grew:
https://www.amazon.com/Stauffers-Or...id=1471323463&sr=8-1&keywords=animal+cracker&

Last edited: