Beetle identification help

Valentine

Arachnopeon
Can anyone help me identify this beetle? I live in Florida-USA, this critter was on my porch and I’d like to keep it if I can figure out what to feed it.
Is roughly 2 inches long and a little over a centimeter wide, solid black, fairly large mandibles. Wings appear to cover entire abdomen, look like they may be fused down center. Abdomen does not have ridges, it’s smooth but not shiny.

Attachments

Valentine

Arachnopeon
Prionid, probably Archodontes melanopus though Mallodon dasystomus is also a possibility.
Thank you, that’s definitely it!
Not really finding any consistent care instructions for adults, so just going to let it back outside. Was interesting to find something I’ve not seen before.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Adults don't really have much care, they feed on sap and sweet things and try to find dying trees to lay eggs in. Not super long lived as adults unfortunately, though the larvae can live for years as they slowly grow. Based on thoracic shape I think it's Mallodon dasystomus, but Prioninae can be kind of a pain to ID because larval food source plays a huge part in shape/spines/mandibles and they'll look kind of different based on that.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is cool!
Sorry, should probably explain that better, quality of larval food source is what influences the shape/spines/mandibles. Still super cool though :) It's the same process with dung beetles, high quality dung results in larger beetles and more major males.