Beef heart for food.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I decided to get experimental with some alternative foods and thought I'd try feeding a cube of beef heart to my S. heros. I picked up a pack of frozen beef heart at the pet store which is usually used to feed fish. They come in individually packed cubes each about the size of a playing dice. Anyhow, I thawed a piece to room temp and left it for my heros in a shallow dish. I left for a couple hours and when I got home the dish was cleaned! It looked as if the pede even licked the bowl! lol! He's now chilling just under his corkbark looking nice and fat. Best of all there's no little slimy skeleton to remove or cricket remains. I still intend to feed occasional small vertibrates but man, it really can't get any easier than this. Not to mention I can store the beef heart for as long as I need in the freezer too. :)

Atrax

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Atrax,

That sounds like a good idea, i'll have to try it with my pedes. Are you planning on using beef heart all the time instead of crickets/vertibrates? I was just wondering if that might result in an unbalanced diet. Beef heart on it's own will be high in protien and iron, but is probably lacking the complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals. The advantage of feeding whole animals is that all the organs are rich in different substances, which gives the pede a balanced diet. I'm just trying to picture feeding my pede eating a whole cow, :rolleyes: i don't think it's quite big enough yet :D

Cheers,

Dan.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm going to supplement with roaches and the occasional vertibrate. It's nice to have something new and convenient to add to the food rotation though.
I'm holding off on trying a whole cow for when I finally acquire a Peruvian Giant. ;)

Atrax