Bed-A-Beast Question

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
Please don't tell me to search the boards, I've already gone through 70+ pages of threads!

My question is this; I am expecting 3 slings in the mail on Tuesday, I'm intersted in using bed-a-beast as a substrate but I'm wondering. I know one brick makes a huge amount, so how would I use it for slings? Is there a way to cut it and do you do this before or after preparing it?

Derfjuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what i would do ... is cut the brick with a hack saw (dont expect to just snap it in half ... this stuff is tough) than take the 1/4 piece or 1/2 piece or whatever and add water in a bucket or basin and after it expands add the desired amount to the vial or container you are using. dont cut chunks for each container and then fill em .... way too hard to judge that way.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have found that you can pry layers off by inserting a knife in the side of the brick.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used an awl to break chunks off of the brick. If you attack it from the long thin side you should be able to peel back sufficient chunks for your use.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Be warned, it makes a mess when u try to cut it. Makes a lot of "dust".

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mix mine up in a huge ziploc freezer bag, break it apart, then dry it in a slow oven (about 200 F). No sawing, minimal dust. Pour any unused portion back into the ziploc bag and store it in the fridge unless it's dry enough that it won't mold at room temperature..

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be carefull while you cut the brick. I have a small scar on my knuckle from being carless while "sawing" one in half with a kitchen knife. If you cut it about half way you can take it outside and step on one end and pull on the other end. It takes way to long to cut the entire thing without a saw.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
galeogirl said:
I mix mine up in a huge ziploc freezer bag, break it apart, then dry it in a slow oven (about 200 F). No sawing, minimal dust. Pour any unused portion back into the ziploc bag and store it in the fridge unless it's dry enough that it won't mold at room temperature..

this stuff supposedly inhibits mold and a few other nasties. why would it mold at room tempature? In comparison i have a 40lb bag of topsoil in my T room, which stays about 60-70% humidity and it has not molded. I have also been keeping extra bed a beast in a styrofoam cooler so i can replace substrate as needed and it has not molded. The only way i could think of this stuff molding is in a container with too much moisture and no ventilation.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It shouldn't mold at room temperature.

Since I use a large portion of cocanut coir for one of my snakes, I put the brick in a bucket, and add water so that the entire brick "inflates". I leave the top of the bucket uncovered, and just continue using it. I found that solution to be a lot easier than trying to hack off layers, which makes a huge mess.

I have, however, taken some of out of the bucket and dried it out in the oven before using it with anybody, just in case there's any sort of little nasties crawling around in it....

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
David Burns said:
I have found that you can pry layers off by inserting a knife in the side of the brick.
yeah, I just bought some yesterday and used it. That is exactly what I did to get a little piece off to use for a spiderling cage...it worked great!
just get a knife or screwdriver (what I used) and just pry it into a layer in the side and pry it off. but do it over the sink, it does make a mess...

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
y wouldnt u just use it all and just keep it outside how ever this only works if ur in a cold city like calgary but i just use the whole thing and keep it in a bucket in my basement. i used it a long time ago and i dont think its molded. my uncle does the same thing but keeps his outside so i dont think it does mold unless its wet so y not just make the whole thing