Beautiful A. geniculata in her up-sized new home.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
I just spent the evening rehousing 9 juvenile tarantulas from deli cups into the 6x7x4in accessory box from The Container Store. Great next size before final vivarium stage. Just thought you guys might like to see the pics.

Attachments

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
wow makes it look like a ton of space.. now i dont feel so bad for puting my 4-4.5" genic in a 5.5g. thats a ton of room. but those are some huge water bowls.. why not move it out for a bottle cap. i use small tea caps [sold in work vending machines] seems about right. or even mealworm dishes :)

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
wow makes it look like a ton of space.. now i dont feel so bad for puting my 4-4.5" genic in a 5.5g. thats a ton of room. but those are some huge water bowls.. why not move it out for a bottle cap. i use small tea caps [sold in work vending machines] seems about right. or even mealworm dishes :)
The water bowls were on sale at my LPS, so I bought a dozen of them. I use a small mini heater to keep the temperature up in my spider room, so the larger bowl helps me keep the humidity level up. Besides, there's still plenty of room, they can stretch out and relax in these containers for at least a year probably.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Each their own i just dont like those as the water should be changed out every day and seems stressfull on the animals.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Each their own i just dont like those as the water should be changed out every day and seems stressfull on the animals.
Still learning, so indulge me please. I understand how you feel about the water being changed every day, and it does get changed every day, maybe every 2 days. Because of the way the enclosures are set up, maintenance is incredibly easy. But my question is, what were you referring to when you said the tarantulas find it stressful? Are you saying it's stressful that the water bowl is large and they have to climb around it?

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 01:08 PM ----------

Very nice enclosures.
Thank you very much, I've only been in the hobby for a year, but I find all of the additional aspects of tarantula husbandry to be almost as exciting as caring for the tarantulas themselves. I like coming up with new and creative ways to set up enclosures and create environments for my trantulas. I realize nothing I've done is new to anyone on arachnoboards, but considering my trantulas have been in deli cups for the last year, these setups are new and exciting for me.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like they are happy!

Really makes me want a genic again though =/

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I use throw away water bottle tops for my Ts. lol They hold a enough water for any spider, multiples are used sometimes.
Reptile water bowls never worked for me, they got too dirty and leaked often at times.:bruised:

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
but those are some huge water bowls.. why not move it out for a bottle cap.
No, they aren't huge. They're only 2.75" x 3.5", they sell them at Petsmart in the hermit crab section for 99 cents.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Nice enclosures. I keep my immature female A. genic in a 10 gallon display tank. She seems to like it.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Still learning, so indulge me please. I understand how you feel about the water being changed every day, and it does get changed every day, maybe every 2 days. Because of the way the enclosures are set up, maintenance is incredibly easy. But my question is, what were you referring to when you said the tarantulas find it stressful? Are you saying it's stressful that the water bowl is large and they have to climb around it?

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 01:08 PM ----------

Thank you very much, I've only been in the hobby for a year, but I find all of the additional aspects of tarantula husbandry to be almost as exciting as caring for the tarantulas themselves. I like coming up with new and creative ways to set up enclosures and create environments for my trantulas. I realize nothing I've done is new to anyone on arachnoboards, but considering my trantulas have been in deli cups for the last year, these setups are new and exciting for me.
I feel when u use the giant stone ones its not as easy and can be a but stressfull if your holding this bug rock and in this case it takes up a good portion of the legroom outside the hide. when i used the bigger dishes in the enclosures it felt like they was more reclusive as aposed to bow when i just use tongs to grab out the 1" disk and reolace it. They dont seem to even notice. As its not sunk in or anything and is so small

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 06:40 PM ----------

I use throw away water bottle tops for my Ts. lol They hold a enough water for any spider, multiples are used sometimes.
Reptile water bowls never worked for me, they got too dirty and leaked often at times.:bruised:
Only one has it(mealworm dish) cuz shes a waterlogger (rosea) who loves "baths" but yea i cant use them eather some ppl like them tho

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

No, they aren't huge. They're only 2.75" x 3.5", they sell them at Petsmart in the hermit crab section for 99 cents.
Ah my bad i suppose. my lps sells some looks just like that and are stone and are like 4*4*3

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Yes, thank you, and I think they look so much better than a plastic bottle cap. Not that I'm knocking anyone else's preference, that's just mine.

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 06:25 PM ----------

Nice enclosures. I keep my immature female A. genic in a 10 gallon display tank. She seems to like it.
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. I got the plastic containers at The Container Store, which happens to have a location 5 minutes from where I live, so that's really nice. It's the accessory box size, and it was only a $1.79 with a locking lid, but they're also available online. This set up is for the stage between deli cup, and permanent vivarium. By then, I plan on having learned to make my own plexiglass vivariums.