Beatles that live 5+ years?

Cheyenne Exotics

Arachnopeon
I love beatles but i dont want to keep ones with short life spans. Are there any that live longer lives?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe some of the Eleodes sp. darkling beetles are fairly long lived. I have some that I caught as adults 2-3 years ago that are still going strong.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
could you write simple care sheet and their size for me
I just have them in one of the large plastic breeder boxes with a shallow sand/coconut fiber/dirt substrate and some pieces of cork bark and cholla for hides. I drop in bits of assorted veggies (romaine, carrot, sweet potato, zucchini, etc.) and the occasional bit of dog kibble or fish food every few days. I mist the cage 2-3 times a week. I have a mix of Pinacate beetles (Eleodes sp.), Woolly Darkling Beetles (Eleodes osculans), Death-feigning beetles, and Diabolical Ironclad Beetles in there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinacate_beetle The Pinacate beetles seem to be the longest-lived. They get to be about an inch to inch-and-a-half long.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
If you include the larval stages in their lifespan there are many that live for that long (but the majority of their lifespan is usually the larval stage)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Like @chanda said, Tenebrionid beetles can live a long time, and certain Eleodes and Asbolus species have been reported to live over 5 years in captivity.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think I heard somewhere that there's a record of 17 years for eleodes in captivity, but at this point that might be something along the lines of urban legend...

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I think I heard somewhere that there's a record of 17 years for eleodes in captivity, but at this point that might be something along the lines of urban legend...
I think that particular record is false for sure, 17 years seems a little over the top to me!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I love beatles but i dont want to keep ones with short life spans. Are there any that live longer lives?
Paul McCartney?
Jokes aside, Asbolus verrucosus has been known to live quite a while in captivity. I've seen reports of up to... was it 17 years? Somewhere around there. Of course, all specimens of A. verrucosus that are available as pets are WC, as nobody has figured out breeding yet, so there's not a good way to know their actual lifespan.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Jokes aside, Asbolus verrucosus has been known to live quite a while in captivity. I've seen reports of up to... was it 17 years
Apparently, it's the mysterious, unidentified 17 year beetle species (see my above post). Maybe it's related to 17 year periodical cicadas :p