Basic care questions about BDFBs/Darkling Beetles

KamenRider

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody! First post here, I'm somewhat new to the insect hobby and I'm hoping to keep Blue Death Feigning Beetles/Darkling Beetles in a large display tank sometime soon. I have a couple questions relating to their care and optimal conditions. I apologize if this ends up being a long post- I just want to make sure I'm doing the best for the beetles! :D

1) What's the best substrate for them, and would it have to be 'prepared'? I've read that a 50/50 sand/eco-earth substrate is best for them, as it's better for burrowing. I've also heard that it'd be best if the sand was treated by baking it to reduce the risk of fungi/mites, but I've mostly heard that advice relating to hermit crabs. Would it make a difference if it was baked or fresh?

2) Do they require a full day/night cycle? The room i'll be keeping the tank in has lights on near-24/7. Would it be suitable to place a blanket over most of the container at night for near-full darkness?

3) Is it possible to co-habitate them with millipedes? I've considered adding some Narceus gordanus or Chicobolus spinigerus to my order, but I'm not sure they'd thrive in the same conditions. I'm sure I'd need to add an area of the tank with millipede-specific substrate and keep it slightly more damp than the rest, right?

4) What would the optimal hide setup be? I'll be putting in at least one piece of cork hide, but do they require multiple hiding locations for if they just don't like each other?

Thank you for your time. I'll be sure to post updates when I complete the setup!

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I just read a few articles on keeping them, they seem interesting. Apparently the lower the humidity the more vivid their colour is.
I also found it surprising that they are hard to breed because the larvae die , strange being that they are in the same family as mealworms. A Google search revealed quite a few arachnoboard threads too, I didn't read them though, I doubt I could get these beetles in Australia anyway , so a few articles satisfied my curiosity for now .
It sounds interesting though, keep us updated. :)

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have a desert tank with death feigners and other darklings. I use the desert substrate from Bugs in Cyberspace which is natural sand, small pebbles and bits of leaves. The substrate is kept dry except for a small corner with cocofiber which is kept moist and covered with a curved piece of corkbark for the larvae. I also provide a small waterdish with gravel in it to prevent drowning I have seen most of the beetles drink from it. None of my beetles burrow. I get so many larvae that I have to cull them every few months so I must be doing something right, lol.

I don't use a light for my tank, just room lighting and room temperature but they are in a dim corner, the beetles are nocturnal and don't care for light.

I wouldn't recommend keeping millipedes with your beetles, even desert millipedes require higher humidity which will eventually kill your beetles. Millipedes also have chemical defense when irritated and beetles tend to crawl over everything so I would think it would be possible that the millis could kill the beetles.

Here's a picture of my tank, just include lots of hiding places, even though you really can't see many beetles in the picture there are actually over 20 in there. Sorry for the picture quality, but I have a terrible camera.
desert tank.jpg

KamenRider

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for the info! I'll definitely keep all of this in mind- I didn't know they'd actually drink from a water bowl!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Thank you so much for the info! I'll definitely keep all of this in mind- I didn't know they'd actually drink from a water bowl!
You're welcome. I haven't seen the death feigners drink from the dish, but all the other beetles do. The death feigners will hang out in the moist corner in the winter when the air is dry though and I always make sure they have fresh apple, carrots and sometimes romaine in addition to the dry food. They are very entertaining, you won't regret getting them :)