Baseball display ventilation opinion. Picture inside.

patenaud

Arachnopeon
Hi.

I'm getting some 1/2 inch b. hamorii slings in a couple of days. I have deli cups for them but I bought some baseball displays at Michael's (20% off today) for later. They are 4x4x4 inches. I have 7 x 1/16 inch ventilation holes on all 4 sides. Is that enough ventilation assuming it will be opened a couple of times a week for feeding or observation? I've attached a picture. It is upside down as the holes were easier to see with the back base on the bottom. It's easy to make more or bigger holes so I erred on the low side.

Any tips or advice is very welcome. 20200420_202103.jpg

This will be my first spider experience. Can't wait!

Thank you for your time

Denis

MantisGirl13

Arachnosquire
I'm not an expert on tarantulas, but I would say that is not very good ventilation. I'd add more ventilation holes.
- MantisGirl13

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A couple thoughts:

1) This enclosure is going to be absolutely gigantic for a 1/2" sling... are you saying you'll just be using this down the line when the Ts are a bit larger? I think that's a good idea.
2) Could maybe use more ventilation holes since the ones you have are so tiny. If you keep it as is I'd just be careful about it getting overly moist or stuffy.
3) How securely does that lid stay closed? Does it latch on in some way? Spiders are a lot better at escaping than old baseballs.

patenaud

Arachnopeon
It is for later. I just took advantage of the sale price and like to be prepared.

I'll put more holes in it. They are small, I wanted to use a smaller bit to get used to drilling in the acrylic. I'll drill them later on when the spiders are ready to move to it so I have a better idea of the hole size I can get away with.

I'm wondering about how to secure the covers as well. I could cut a piece of plywood that covers all of them and put a weight on it. There's the Velcro option but that might be too disruptive trying to tear if off....

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm wondering about how to secure the covers as well. I could cut a piece of plywood that covers all of them and put a weight on it. There's the Velcro option but that might be too disruptive trying to tear if off....
Yeah, definitely need secure lids... if the top part is literally just resting on the acrylic then a tarantula is going to easily escape. Pressing them all down with boards and weights sounds cumbersome, plus then you have to "unsecure" all the lids at once. But not sure I have a much better idea, other than trying to superglue on a latch, maybe? Deli cups are so much easier! I get the appeal of trying to make unique enclosures, though. Good luck!

patenaud

Arachnopeon
The acrylic case edge has two opposing sides that are longer. They fit into groves in the base so there's side to side movement protection which gives hope that I can come up with something eventually. :) ...hopefully.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Having an understanding of what is needed and why will help point you in the right direction.
The right type of ventilation is the key to the long term well-being of what ever you want to keep.
Ideally, you want to draw air in at the lowest point (just above substrate level) and expel the air at the highest point.
Doesn't matter if your keeping T's or scorps or reptiles or amphibians etc having areas of dead air within the enclosure will promote moulds etc and generally leads to other problems later on.
Good luck!!

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I use the all clear version of these and I've found that around 18 holes on at least two sides + a bunch on the lid works well, and my holes are a little larger. As others said , definitely add some more .

You could also get some acrylic hasps in bulk and put them on . Here is an Amazon listing with a bunch :

Attachments

patenaud

Arachnopeon
I use the all clear version of these and I've found that around 18 holes on at least two sides + a bunch on the lid works well, and my holes are a little larger. As others said , definitely add some more .

You could also get some acrylic hasps in bulk and put them on . Here is an Amazon listing with a bunch :

Thanks for the visuals. I'll mirror your setup and increase the hole size and amount. At what size do you move your spiders to the 4x4x4 enclosure?

I also like the hasp idea.
Thanks
Denis

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the visuals. I'll mirror your setup and increase the hole size and amount. At what size do you move your spiders to the 4x4x4 enclosure?

I also like the hasp idea.
Thanks
Denis
I put a couple of mine when they are a little over an inch, and I have a few P.cancerides I put in there at around 1 in just because I know they are fast growers.

If you have a hobby lobby near you, or maybe even Michaels, they have some really nice tiny matchbox car cases that I used after deli cup. I want to say hobby lobby has six of them for just a few dollars? If you wanted nice acrylic for a couple molts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like sub will leak out, I hate that.

They will work when T is larger. Almost anything can work for a T. They have low O2 requirements. You'd be surprised how small holes can be.

patenaud

Arachnopeon
Looks like sub will leak out, I hate that.

They will work when T is larger. Almost anything can work for a T. They have low O2 requirements. You'd be surprised how small holes can be.
I've received them and they are in sauce cups for now. Cute little things. Not skittish at all. It almost feels like a couple of them have a "I'm not moving" attitude. No kicking or aggression just very mellow, although I've kept and bred reptiles for over 37 years (only 1 Boa Constrictor Amarali now) and sometimes that type of lethargy can indicate sickness but I don't know when it comes to Tarantulas. They appear fine and have dug themselves a burrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've received them and they are in sauce cups for now. Cute little things. Not skittish at all. It almost feels like a couple of them have a "I'm not moving" attitude. No kicking or aggression just very mellow, although I've kept and bred reptiles for over 37 years (only 1 Boa Constrictor Amarali now) and sometimes that type of lethargy can indicate sickness but I don't know when it comes to Tarantulas. They appear fine and have dug themselves a burrow.
It doesn't- however change does occur with molts. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes more defensive. Complacency is an enemy, as I'm sure you know with herps. I'm a herper too FIRST, Ts came later. still have herps.

patenaud

Arachnopeon
It doesn't- however change does occur with molts. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes more defensive. Complacency is an enemy, as I'm sure you know with herps. I'm a herper too FIRST, Ts came later. still have herps.
Yep. Always have to be vigilant. I'm trying to keep my collection down now as I want to start travelling more. I can get someone to come in and take care of a snake and a few spiders but not hundreds of snakes. ;-)
I wanted a docile spider but I know that temperament can vary and that it can change from sling to juvi to adult so that's why I decided to go for the 5 x 1/2 inch hamorii for $100.00 special. I like to grow things and this gives me the opportunity (if they all survive) to raise 5 with the intention of only keeping one. I'll keep the most docile spider and sell the remaining 4. That's the plan anyway. I can see how addictive it can be because compared to reptiles, this is a pretty cheap hobby even when looking at the most expensive species. It's all relative of course but still much much cheaper.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep. Always have to be vigilant. I'm trying to keep my collection down now as I want to start travelling more. I can get someone to come in and take care of a snake and a few spiders but not hundreds of snakes. ;-)
I wanted a docile spider but I know that temperament can vary and that it can change from sling to juvi to adult so that's why I decided to go for the 5 x 1/2 inch hamorii for $100.00 special. I like to grow things and this gives me the opportunity (if they all survive) to raise 5 with the intention of only keeping one. I'll keep the most docile spider and sell the remaining 4. That's the plan anyway. I can see how addictive it can be because compared to reptiles, this is a pretty cheap hobby even when looking at the most expensive species. It's all relative of course but still much much cheaper.
Yeah compared to herps this is nothing