Ball Python with Mouth Rot, not sure what to do.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Im currently trying to cure mouth rot in a young ball python. The animal is around 3-4 months of age. He has two scabs, both on the lower mandible in front of his two front teeth. His right lower jaw....area..... looks like cauliflower. For the past three weeks I have been keeping him by himself, temps are slightly elevated and the enclosure is bone dry. There is a small waterdish on the cool side and I add colloidal silver. I read that breeders regularly use colloidal silver in the drinking water as a just-in-case cure all, so thats why Im taking this route. About 7 days ago I applied polysporin to the infected area and now the animal is doing more tongue flickering. No idea if the poly or silver is helping, but I assume it is, based upon the added tongue flicking.

My biggest concern is that I gentle rub the scabs with a moist q-tip and it looks as if a flap of skin is about to tear off with the scab.

The next step is to do daily cleansings with a saline solution, and to use betadyne, a general-use antibacterial. Im just wondering if anyone here knows of any other home remedies I can use or do some research on.

Due to issues beyond my control, I am unable to take the animal to a vet for proper treatment.

thanks

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sounds like you got the bases covered. From description it sounds like either cancer or bacterial infection. Since it is responding to antibiotic treatments it appears to be the latter. Do not remove scabs that would open up new wounds. Treat as you would any ongoing infection. Betadyne is excellent. It is even more effective when scrubbed vigorously into the infected area.
The only additional adjunct to the regimen I can think of is oral or injected broad spectrum antibiotic. I haven't a clue about that however and you would need to research it. There may also be the reptilian equivalent of gamma globulin immune system booster. Again something you would need to research.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the kind words. Im concerned its something more, though. At work, I have a small backroom I can keep some animals in. I had a rescue beardie, who resembled a pencil more than a pancake, and a healthy mature Brazilian Rainbow Boa in the same room. Both died days apart from each other, one week after moving the sick ball into the room.

I understand I made a mistake by putting a sick snake in a small room with other reptiles. I feel bad about it. Either way, the ball python seems to be stabilizing with just the colloidal silver. Starting betadyne tomorrow because I cant deal with another dead reptile. You see a lot working at a pet store:( and I have a chance here.

You really seem like you have experience with this...
And if you mean me, I enjoy research.