Ball Python vs. Corn Snake - First Time Keeper

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, help me out a bit. I have lots of experience with tarantula's and pedes, but zippo with reptiles. A while back I was at a reptile show looking for spiders and saw the most goregous yellow/green snake I had ever seen. I wanted it. Not being the type to buy an animal without doing some research I held off at the show and asked my friendly neighborhood exotic pet dealer (Bridgebane) what it was and if it would be a good pet. He told me that it was likely a green tree python and probably would not really make a good pet if I was interested in holding it at all. Well, bummer!!! :(

Anyway, can't quit thinking about snakes. I want one. I know that corns are quite docile and prety, but so are ball pythons, and kings. I want to be able to hold this animal somewhat frequently throughout it's entire life (not just while it is small). I love the shape of a ball python's head, but also love the bright red coloration of some of the corns. I can probably afford whatever (within reason, say >$500), but would like something small enough to keep in a non-humongous tank (say 40 gal or smaller). What should I get? Am I missing anything great that I don't know about yet?

Bekky

ArachnoViper
Either or! All of the snakes you mentioned (corns, balls, kings) will fit forever in a 40 breeder type enclosure. Ball Pythons can be a bit picky about their temperature requirements, but both kingsnakes and cornsnakes are a lot more forgiving as far as temperature goes. Ball pythons are shy, corns and kings more inquisitive. If I could do "it" all over again, I would start with a corn or king. I learned the hard way (okay, it wasn't really that hard) starting with a ball. PLease let me know if you have any questions or concerns! Good Luck! Bekk

Don't gret me wrong, Balls are easy if their temperature requirements are met, and you are willing to be patient. As far as an impressive pet snake goes, there are many wonderful color morphs of all the snakes you listed!

Last edited:

Daisey_Boo222

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been with corns since I was seven so obviously they are easy to care for. But I've also been pushing for a ball python as well.

What really matters is what your comfortable with handling. Ball pythons (I've heard) can get nervous and will periodically stop eating. Trust me, I've had no problem feeding my corn;) . BPs also get pretty bigger than most corns, So if your comfortable holding a bigger snake as a first time handler than go for it!{D Corns also go for quite a bit cheeper:rolleyes:

I hope your happy with whatever you choose!!

wishing you good luck,
em

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer balls. I feel if your only getting one snake thats the one to get. They get large so its impressive but nothing unmanagable like a Burm or even a Boa for some people. On average they will be about 4', captive bred ones are usually docile, and also better eaters than wild caught. Aquarium type enclosures can be tough to keep the humidity up in, but not too bad, you can easily with a good under tank heater, a light for basking, and covering up a good percentage of the screen top. This will get you good temps and humidity if you work it out right.

I recommend getting a Ball from a breeder rather than a pet store. Normals go as low as $75, but if your willing to spend a bit more like $250-300 or so you can get a nice looking morph. Some of the morphs easily go for $1000+ but you can still get some nice ones for the low hundreds.

Ball python is my next snake, (i have 2 boas though, and a king and a corn). Im just saving up to get a really nice one, so it might be a year or two.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're looking for something that stays small (relatively) and can have some decent coloration, hognose snakes are pretty interesting. They can have color variations looking like coral snakes, the red and albinistic morphs of course, and I've seen an all black morph as well. Neat snakes, they feign death when agitated, and are capable of fanning its head and neck. Rear fanged, not medically significant.
I might get one at the reptile expo tomorrow if I can get the wife on board. I convinced my 6year old daughter she wants one!

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I wouldn't suggest hognose as a first time snake for someone who wants to handle their snake. They can be nippy and their threat displays can be off putting to beginners. A second snake perhaps.

Besides corns there is kenyan sand boa, small and very docile.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I would recommend a corn snake. My wife would recommend a ball python. Both are easy to start with and have a high probability of success. It all comes down to what you like. Regardless of what you chose, be sure to continue doing research. Ball pythons can be problematic in the feeding department, but they are usually pretty easy to sort out if you know what you're doing.

Cheers,
Dave

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aside from garters and redbellies and the occaisional nasty watersnake, my first "real" pet snake was a corn snake. And six months later, I got a ball python. They're both wonderful snakes, yet they've both had their issues. The corn snake was from a bad pet store and had mites and some scale rot, which took a lot of time to cure. But since then, he's never refused a meal, and even takes the mice right out of my hand! Just a fantastic snake all around. I agree that ball pythons are a bit tricker, but you could luck out with a good one. Mine started out on live mice, and would get finicky on and off, but once I got her onto f/t she's been wonderful. A few episodes of being finicky in the beginning, but I havent had any problems with any of my snakes in a long time. I would also recommend a milk or king snake... I have two wildcaught eastern milk snakes and they are eating machines! They won't be as pretty as the kinds of milks you can get from a breeder, I hope to get my hands on some other varieties sometime.

Why must you decide between two? Get both! If its a matter of which one to get first, I'd say the cornsnake. But if you're only going to get one (which I doubt, its so hard to stop at just one!)... I'd say the ball python. Though I disagree that a 40 gallon tank will be large enough for a full grown adult, however that will take some time, and is up to what you think is suitable, I guess.

Whichever you choose, good luck! And do your homework. ;)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
both a 40 gallon long and a 40 gallon breeder are big enough for most adult balls General rule of thumb is the tank's length x width should be at least as long (if not longer) than the size of the snake.

So 40 gallon long = 4'x1' which is 4' (about as long as a ball python)
40 gallon breeder = 36"x18" which is 4.5' (bit bigger)

So either one of those can work. So long as its setup properly (which isnt too hard for a ball, needs a water dish to soak, a hide, and if you want, a branch to climb on)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
(which isnt too hard for a ball, needs a water dish to soak, a hide, and if you want, a branch to climb on)
Actually, ball pythons aren't arboreal, and not terribly good climbers either. Don't bother with a branch, they'd MUCH rather burrow and burrow and then burrow some more. {D

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dunno, mine likes to climb! She has a chunk of mangled driftwood that she loves to climb up and wrap aruond to bask, or just when she's roaming the tank.

So... they need a bit of both I'd say. Enough substrate to burrow in and get cozy, and a varied terrian to climb around. Nothing tall is needed, but she seems to appreciate things to wrap around.

And balls can get over four feet, up to six really, so... it depends how big it gets in the end. Mine is in a 40gallon right now and it seems fine (she's 2 1/2 feet long) but, well, my boyfriend and I are getting a bit obsessed about wanting to provide really natural habitats and are going to build her something nice and big. But that's just us being overprotective parents to our lil girl ;)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i find that with balls (all the ones ive been around) they like to dig into the aspen bedding (if you use that) but will also enjoy the branches since they are low to the ground, not up in a tree. It isn't necessary but they seem to enjoy it when they are young, same with boas, they seem to enjoy it when they are younger, once they are large it's tough to provide them with enough room/strong branch, plus they tend to avoid them more then.

Also yea they can get up to 6 feet, but thats VERY rare. Thats like saying regular boas can get 12-14 feet. It happens but mostly they stay 7-10 feet.

Yea natural enclosures are nice, but when you have 2 snakes that are going to get 6 feet and 8 feet most likely (if not bigger than 8 for my girl). Its hard to have that much room so you go for the standard enclosure. They seem to do fine in them also.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Go for the corn. They're super easy for a first time snake keeper. They tolerate a lot of the first time owners' mistakes, and everyone makes them a time or two, a lot better than Balls. And if anything unfortunate should happen, not saying its going to...but corns aren't going to break the bank if it should die.

Balls are known to be timid, easily stressed, and notoriously hard to feed and/or picky in general. Most in petstores are wild caught, so they're parasite infested not socialized and in general poor health all around.

I have one adult male BP and based on him alone, I would never own another. I find them boring, always hiding in the hide, and a struggle to establish a logical feeding pattern. Whereas my corns are out a lot, active, and eat when its feeding day (provided they aren't in shed or during mating season when a lot of male corns ignore food in favor of searching for ladies).

And corns come in a rainbow of colors, most of which are highly affordable. A 40 gallon tank might not be suitable for a baby cornsnake initially, but could comfortably hold one for the rest of its adult life.

As for kings, their care is exactly the same as the corns, but they are more food oriented and I've found mine are more apt to bite thinking everything that moves is food. Mine also musk when they're restrained or when trying to remove them from your hand. ;)

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i say go for the green tree.. after you start keeping snakes for a little bit your going to want something more interesting then a corn anyway... think of the chondro like you would a pokie and the corn snake like you would a rose hair.... because thats exactly how it is. I have two green trees and one is as tame as any other snake out there.. he has only bit me once and it was over a year ago... my other one is a total B!+ch but i love her anyway.

here is a pic of my male.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why would you recommend such a elaborate to care for AND expensive snake for a first time snake owner? Not to mention its a rare Chondro that tolerates handling, and if I'm not mistaken they wanted a handleable pet. :?

I've got a few friends who I consider advanced keepers of Chondro's and even they have had their share of deaths, mostly from poor-health imported stock.

One of these days I'd like a Chondro, but even after several years of caring for corns, BP's, and a boa I don't feel ready enough to go for that yet.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea i agree horrible suggestion. Think if a Chondro like a pokie that needs super specific care, and is AGGRESSIVE. Chondro's are look but dont touch pets.

My recommendations still are either Corn or Ball. Ball requires a little more care but its not too hard. If you like the look of bigger snakes like pythons and boas, but dont want the size, the ball is for you. If you want a very hardy easy going snake then go for the Corn. Both can be handled easily too.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I definitely agree with midnight. Though I think a lot depends on whether you're going to only get one, or end up getting other snakes in the future.

If it's just one, and you want something a bit more impressive, I would go with the ball python. Though a really nice corn morph can be just as impressive as an adult (Im dying for a bloodred someday).

However if you know you won't be able to stop at just one (not many people can!), I'd start with the corn, get some experience with a snake thats a bit easier, and then go for the ball, and who knows what else!

Thats how I did it, and it was a good progression. Corn to ball python to milk snakes to a solomon island boa to a kenyan sand boa (also a great easy snake, but likes to burrow so you don't see it often and gets about two feet long)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly, the best possible pet snake IMO is a boa, if you can take care of something 6' - 7' in size, they are tame usually, and hardy. Thats the only downside to them. Thats why i like Balls for first snakes, corns are gorgeous, but the look of balls encompases the beautiful pythons/boas while staying small and managable.

Dont get me wrong though, Corns are incredible snakes too, I have a corn, and i love it to death.

Ultimately if you go Corn or Ball you wont be dissapointed, but i find when more often when people get Corns, they really still love and want the "python-y" like snakes. Like was said, if your getting JUST one, go Ball, but if you just want a good beginner, and plan to eventually add to your collection, Corns are great.

Also Kings are good. My first snake was actually a California Banded King snake. I got it in 2nd grade, Im currently a senior in college, and i still have it and love it.

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excellent information everyone. The picture posted by Meaningless End is indeed the snake I was thinking of, and am definately not going to get (at least not for my first ;) ). I do want a snake that can be held and handled frequently. I'm leaning towards the ball python, just because I love the python look so much. The feeding issues don't worry me too much, and I'm sure that my exotic pet friends could help me through those if need be. I'm wondering though, just how tame can the balls get compared to the corns? Are they about the same, or are the corns a bit more "friendly"? If there is a big difference there, I might be swayed the other way. I only intend to have one for now, perhaps two at most some day. Thanks again for the good advice.