1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ball of stuck poop on tail

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by InvertAddiction, Oct 31, 2018.

1. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I came home from work tonight and did my routine of feedings and noticed one of my small C. gracilis scorplings had what appeared to be a round glob of hardened poop stuck to its tail, completely immobilizing it's stinger. Out of the few years I've been in the hobby, this is the first time I've experienced something like this. I took it out of its enclosure and put it in a bigger plastic container and took a Q tip soaked in some hot water and swabbed around its tail. Went through 2 Q tips before everything finally came off. After taking a couple pictures and fully examining it to make sure I didn't miss anything, put it back in it's enclosure. Hopefully I don't have to worry about this happening again lol.

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

It's a huge pain when that happens, glad to hear you were able to get it dislodged though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnoknight Active Member

I guess it's more common than I originally thought lol. Hopefully if anyone else has this issue they'll be able to find this thread helpful on what to do. Just checked on the little 'guy' and it ate, so I'm gonna say that's a definite good sign lol. What methods do you use to remove the excrement?

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Yeah for whatever reason scorps seem to get frass stuck to them. It's usually just a few streaks along the tail, but occasionally it globs up like that. I had that issue with a Hadogenes and I used a combination of wet qtip and long forceps to remove it. I ended up pulling off a big chunk of it with the forceps, but it would have been better to soften it up more. It was just a challenge because her business end is the claws end and she wasn't having my nonsense lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron

Had the same issue with a couple H. franzwerneri scorplings. Same method to get it off too.