Bad Week

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
This has been one crappy week for me. First, on Monday I noticed that my P. subfusca looked like something was wrong. Wasn't eating and very lethargic. Put it in ICU and left it alone.
Tuesday, I noticed it was starting to curl, but still alive.

Wednsday, I notice that my P. ornata was dead on the bottom of it's enclosure with a big "tumor" sticking out of the side of its abdomen. :( Second one I lost, first was due to a bad molt. I have no idea what the hell could have cause the "tumor". I took some pictures, I'll try to post a couple when I get home.... :( The P. subfusca was curled some more, but still alive. Upped the humidity a bit to no effect. Left it in ICU.

Thursday feeding comes, the subfusca is dead, no apparent cause. It had molted two weeks before and was feeding before this week. :( Go to feed my pedes and the tanzanian redhead is dead, also no apparent causes. :(

They were all given appropriate Brooklyn funerals. (I threw them in the trash.)

Once again, what a crappy week. :(

Scott

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Damn.

Sorry for your losses... it's easier when you at least know what went wrong. Not knowing what went wrong to boot REALLY sucks...

Did you notice parasites in the pede enclosure? humidity still OK?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Sorry

I am really sorry to hear about your losses. Ive lost some too, I know, it hurt me.:(

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Couldn't find a damn thing out of the ordinary in any of the enclosures, pede included. The funny thing is, I have a tanzanian blackhead pede that is in the same exact kind of set up that was bought at the same exact time and it seems to be doing fine. At least I hope it is, I thought the other one was fine too. :(

Scott

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Scott:

the Subfusca likes cool and moist conditions compared to some other Pokies, maybe that'll help. But I doubt that was what caused the accidents.

Sorry about the loss man, those are some great spiders,
Pauly

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Paul,

I should clarify that when I said ICU for the subfusca, I didn't mean that I upped the temperature any. Just that I put it in a sterile clean container and upped the humidity, I know that they like it cooler than other pokes. It was already pretty moist in its original container, so I don't think that was it. Just one of those unexplained deaths that many of us have had. :(

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh crap...that is awful :'(
the worst thing is that they are completely unknown causes too.
I'm so sorry...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crappy week indeed...

I hear ya loud and clear on the crappy week there Scott. Hell try a crappy month. In the past 30 days I have had 2 of my 6 employees leave, debated whether it was worth staying for the chicken scratch they pay me, lost 3 spiderlings and one adult thorelli due to causes unknown, and topped it off with Sam dying Monday. On top of it all I turn 33 on Sunday. Crappy birthday to me huh? Misery does love company man. Fear not it will get better. And thanks to all for the kind words about Sam.
Phil

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On the subfusca...

Almost forgot the subfusca. I doubt it was temp Scott as my female has been kept the same temp as everyone else for quite a while and has been just fine. I've lost em too as one of the slings to die on me was a damn subfusca. Oh well. It happens.
Phil

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dang! When it rains it pours, huh? Sorry about the losses. It's almost like the "celebrity death watch" where people say it happens in threes. Don't it always seem to happen with the bugs like that too?:(

Atrax

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They were all given appropriate Brooklyn funerals. (I threw them in the trash.)
Scott [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, Scott, as is evinced by this sentence, you have your sense of humor intact. :)
Try and look at it that way...

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your losses Scott and Phillip! That's the one un-fun(such a word?) thing about this hobby.........death.:(

U

Unregistered

Re: Crappy week indeed...

Originally posted by Phillip
I hear ya loud and clear on the crappy week there Scott. Hell try a crappy month. In the past 30 days I have had 2 of my 6 employees leave, debated whether it was worth staying for the chicken scratch they pay me, lost 3 spiderlings and one adult thorelli due to causes unknown, and topped it off with Sam dying Monday. On top of it all I turn 33 on Sunday. Crappy birthday to me huh? Misery does love company man. Fear not it will get better. And thanks to all for the kind words about Sam.
Phil
Phil and Scott, sorry about your losses.
Phil, I will trade with ya on the age thingie....I will be 46 the end of this month! :)
Ed

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Grabbed the pics off of the DC. Anyone ever see something like this before...

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have *never* seen anything like that....didn't you also have a pede explode on you?
How strange....and I have never heard of anyone else experiencing that as well...
Like I said...that completely sucks....
wish I could help more...
H

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Scott, I had a P. regalis that had the same thing happen to it. Very puzzling! Actually, the "tumor" practically appeared overnight. After about 48 hours or so, the spot ruptured (don't know if it burst from pressure, or was damaged by something in the enclosure) I dissected it just to see if maybe it was some kinda internal parasite or who knows what but I found only guts and waste. Of course I really don't have a real clear idea on what normal guts should really look like as opposed to anything abnormal. I was so perplexed though that I figured it might be worth a look.

Anyhow, sorry again about the losses. Damn shame! Had to be the Pokies, huh?:(

Atrax

Oh yeah, it was EXACTLY the same area, color etc too...

Last edited:

Cuttlefish

Arachnopeon
Scott,

Did you happen to notice if the bulge was hard-ish or soft-ish? I've never heard of anything like this before, but if it was hard, it really could have been a tumor, similar to a cancer in mammals. If it was softer, or fluid filled, it could have been the result of a fluid blockage or a weakening of a section of a vessel creating an aneurysm type of thing... Either way, there's nothing you can or could do to prevent it.

If more inverts die of invisible causes though, I would have to guess bacterial or viral disease. Probably the only thing you can do is to sterilize any equipment that goes from enclosure to enclosure after each use.

Best wishes,
Tamara.

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to here,,,,,,

Sooooo Sorry to here about your losses scott,, there is alot of things happening with Ts these days and alot can be due to where the Ts are commin from and where there food items are comming from.. there is alot of chemicals that we dont know about thats killing these Ts and alot is comming in on the food items that we feed our Ts and i know whats done did a few of mine in and it was comming from the prey items.. But really so sorry once again..... :8o :? :(