Bad night, had to vent: ripped spinnerette?!?!?!?

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed earlier that my MM B vagans was particularly crazy tonight all over his enclosure, struggling extra hard against the lid and even knocking himself over backwards a few times in his frenzy.

At one point I looked in at him and noticed that his butt (which is quite bald from hair kicking) looked all wet, but that it wasn't beading off of him the way water normally seems to, it looked too viscous to be water. I couldn't see any kind of injury though I did notice that his spinnerets looked strangely clamped against his body. I decided to keep an eye on him for a while and he was still acting really frenzied but as I checked over time the liquid seemed to start drying so I thought maybe it was water after all.

I left him truly alone for a bit and came back to see that only his left side was still wet, but now his spinnerets were away from his body and there's liquid sort of puddled in the arc between his body and his spinnerets. At THIS point I finally can see that half of his left spinneret is just missing (even though I have pics from when I first noticed the liquid and he clearly has both intact (I will post one below).

I honestly have no idea how on earth he could have done this as there is NOTHING sharp, high up, or pinchy in his tank, I set it up specifically the way it is because I know he's a climber. The only conceivable way is if he somehow caught it UNDER the edge of the tank lid, which really doesn't make a lot of sense at all. I tried to get some flour on it and he promptly fell backward butt first right into the substrate (still in a complete frenzy) and it became clear that I had to ICU him.

So for the next I don't even know how long (it seriously felt like an eternity) he fought against me tooth and nail, every time I thought I almost had him safely cupped he wilded out, dove out from under the cup and I had to start all over again. He was fighting me so hard I actually got nauseous at the stress he was going through (some ICU hunh?).

Now he's ICUd and calmed and I almost feel worse as I wonder if all the stress from the transfer just beat the fight out of him. He's been a MM since May and hasn't put down any web (much less sperm web) in months so I didn't expect to have much more with him anyway, but this is NOT the way I was expecting him to go.

It seems he's finally moved a little bit and is back to trying to escape, so maybe all is not lost, but seriously this just completely sucks.

Sorry for the time sink to anyone who actually made it all the way through that, but I had to vent somewhere where I could go further in depth then "one of my pets is hurt and I feel horrible".

Last edited:

olablane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How sad. I dont have any advice, just know I feel bad for both of you and wish him all the best.

Razzy26

Arachnopeon
Tarantula

Wow. That is horrible. I am no expert or anything, but perhaps mites? Allergies? I had a spider once who died before I found out that the calcium powder that i was dusting the crickets with over dosed her.

Otherwise, lets hope for a molt soon??!!

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
~ 20 hours later

Here he is after a night in ICU.

The wound seems to have closed and he doesn't look terribly dehydrated (or at least not much thinner then he was beforehand, it's nearly impossible to keep weight on him lately). He was in the "unhappy T" crouch but not at all curled so I'm thinking he may just make it through.

The damage to the spinneret is really obvious here. The white powder is flour.

It is not even remotely easy to pat flour on the rear of a spooked T. Especially one so clearly uninterested in interacting with anything (as evidenced by the giant bald patch).

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. That is horrible. I am no expert or anything, but perhaps mites? Allergies? I had a spider once who died before I found out that the calcium powder that i was dusting the crickets with over dosed her.

Otherwise, lets hope for a molt soon??!!
It was pretty obviously mechanical damage. He's mature so the wandering and escape attempts are just him trying desperately to find a girlfriend. I just wish I knew what he got it caught in. The only culprit I can think of is the tank lid.

Sadly given how long it's been since he matured (it'll be a year in May) and how thin he is I don't see him making it through another molt. I have a rosea with a missing spinneret (got her that way) and it doesn't seem to slow her down one bit so that part I'm not worried about.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:(
Sorry to hear this
I wish you and your T much luck.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update

I transferred him back to his enclosure yesterday after I got home from work as he seemed to be doing well.

I did a last check before I went to bed last night and found him with a wet butt again. Instead of going through the whole stressful rigamarole to get him back into ICU I dumped a bunch of flour on his butt and just let him be for the night.

I went to check on him this morning and he looked well (though rather floury)...

...and found my MM A avic in a deathcurl. :wall:

He has been lethargic for a few days and has had a somewhat odd posture (to the point that my boyfriend who pays nearly no attn to the Ts even asked me if he was OK). He responded to poking but I didn't want to stress him (and really, it's been about 15 months, if its time its time) so I flooded his substrate and put him in a warm dark place.

He seems better now but given the lack of injury and general lack of desire to eat I'm taking this as a forwarning of the end.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SS, how are your Ts doing?
Hey LadyPharaoh, I appreciate you asking.

Both are mostly back to their climby, wandery selves though the avic is clearly weakened.

The vagans has not had any further wet butt incidents that I've seen and I think I may try to feed him a cricket a bit later.

I'm contemplating pre-killing a superworm and trying the avic on it to see if I can fatten him up a bit. He doesn't seem interested in hunting so I doubt he'll take pre-killed, but it's at least worth a shot. He's really starting to look like one of those battered, starved, shrunken-butt males you see in pics of Ts in their natural habitats. :(

LadyPharaoh

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wish I had some words of advice but sadly, all I can offer is encouragement. Hang in there. {{{{SS}}}}

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good luck but remember its a mature. if it gets really bad put him in the freezer and give his mate (if he has one) the body.

MorbidPh8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good luck but remember its a mature. if it gets really bad put him in the freezer
Do a lot of ppl do this? I have a MM Utah Blond he's was WC MM so I don't know how much longer he has. I have been wondering how I could help him die... Sounds crappy but I don't want him to suffer. Also sterling sorry about your Ts. Having MMs kinda sucks because you know there not meant to be much longer.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do a lot of ppl do this? I have a MM Utah Blond he's was WC MM so I don't know how much longer he has. I have been wondering how I could help him die... Sounds crappy but I don't want him to suffer. Also sterling sorry about your Ts. Having MMs kinda sucks because you know there not meant to be much longer.
I don't think everyone does it, It seems to be more of an "if you have to" sort of thing.

I get the impression most MMs burn out pretty fast and maybe you have a few days warning, but one day you just come home to a deathcurl and that's it. Some of them do hold on a really long time and get really weak and feeble and in those cases you'll see them get decrepit enough that the freezer seems more humane then letting them go on.

I wouldn't just jump to do it unless you are getting clear signs that they are suffering though, my avic is 15 months post ultimate and is only now starting to get to the point where I'm watching to make sure he wouldn't be better off in the freezer. The vagans is 14 months post ultimate and other then the injury is pretty darn feisty and I have a genic at 9 months post ultimate who is also doing just fine.

At first I was really bummed about having so many MMs, but now I figure I still got more time out of any of them then I would the typical pet rat, so maybe it's not so bad after all.

Last edited: