Bad Molt Signs??

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
So today I went to a local pet store I stumbled across and picked up this little Pink Toe. Upon getting it home and I boxing I am met with this sight on the little thing's abdomen. It looks like a combination of singed hairs, and further up looks as if the spider has been kicking hairs. But pink toes don't kick hairs?? Can anyone clue me in?

IMG_0437.JPG

Vash71

Arachnopeon
Looks like a fungus or something along thought lines. Maybe some of the substrate, depending on what they used. But I'm pretty new.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Pinktoes release urticsting hair too.

I would say that is kicked hair but doesnt look same colour.

What was the substrate when you picked it up?

Do you have pics of previous and current enclosures?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That Avic is in rough shape :(
Can you get a picture of the pedipalps? It looks a little leggy and ragged, like a mature male.

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
Pinktoes release urticsting hair too.

I would say that is kicked hair but doesnt look same colour.

What was the substrate when you picked it up?

Do you have pics of previous and current enclosures?
I believe that the substrate was just a small bit of coconut husk. It was literally kept in the equivalent of a small critter keeper. Maybe no more than 4x6 if that. I am POSITIVE it was/is dehydrated because within an hour of rehoming, it went straight for the water dish I put in and stayed there for a solid 3-4 minutes and did it again a short time later.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Im not sure about the pedipalps. Mature males have emboli on them, but i can't ser them well enough to confirm.
The palps are the first pair of 'legs', the pair which is shorter than the others. At the end there are either just tarsi or there are emboli. Can you get a more clear pic of those?

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
Im not sure about the pedipalps. Mature males have emboli on them, but i can't ser them well enough to confirm.
The palps are the first pair of 'legs', the pair which is shorter than the others. At the end there are either just tarsi or there are emboli. Can you get a more clear pic of those?
I'll try to get a better shot.

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0448.JPG Hopefully this is a better indicator?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks!
Im afraid it is a mature male...
I hope you didn't buy it as a female?
Mature males of this genus don't live very long, six months to a year.
It won't feed a lot and will climb and wander around.
I would return it and ask either another spider or a refund, since there is no way to tell how long it is mature.

DeadLegs

Arachnopeon
Thanks!
Im afraid it is a mature male...
I hope you didn't buy it as a female?
Mature males of this genus don't live very long, six months to a year.
It won't feed a lot and will climb and wander around.
I would return it and ask either another spider or a refund, since there is no way to tell how long it is mature.
I don't think they have a clue as to whether female or male, honestly. Their spiders, the four or five they have, are kept in terrible condition. Little to no substrate, tiny critter keepers, I am not sure there was a water dish and if there was it didn't have any in it. This guy literally dunked his face into the water dish I gave it and drank for a solid few minutes.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't think they have a clue as to whether female or male, honestly. Their spiders, the four or five they have, are kept in terrible condition. Little to no substrate, tiny critter keepers, I am not sure there was a water dish and if there was it didn't have any in it. This guy literally dunked his face into the water dish I gave it and drank for a solid few minutes.
The misery that is called petshop...enter LPS or Petco in the search function of Arachnoboards and you'll get hundreds of posts about their malpractice and willful ignorance.
At least yours has a better place for what little time it has left.
For your next T, look to someone from the classifieds here, read reviews. Most breeders on here are reputable people with passion for their animals, and always ready to answer any questions.