bad appetite =(

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My T. serrulatus doesn't want to eat. Is has been happening for more than a month. I've tried crickets, woodlouses (is it right? Small bugs that lives under rocks. Turns into a ball when disturbed) a freshly killed grasshopper, a roach... What should I do? Is she preparing to molt or is she going to die? She is not pregnant, I'm sure...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Normally on any non-gravid female I'd say that she was dying, since it is rare to catch a female scorpion in the wild that is not gravid. Since T.serrulatus is parthenogenic, however, this presents an interesting problem. I don't know much about their reproductive tendancies. She may be subadult preparing for a moult ... how big is she? She may also just be too stressed or not hungry.

Cheers,
Dave

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, she is something about 1 inch and a half (4cm), she is active at night, walking around the tank (I don´t know what plump means but she is active). I think she is stressed about the enclosure setup, she is trying to climb the glass (I've seen it today...). I think she is not gravid becouse I THINK she is not an adult (is it right that just adults reproduce?). I'm posting 2 pictures of her, first she trying to climb the glass and the second with a 5 cents US coin for comparison on the size...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, "Scorpions of Brazil" has the size listed as 55-60mm, so you are right that at that size it would not likely be mature. And yes, only the adults reproduce. Thus, an upcoming moult is a reasonable proposal.

Cheers,
Dave

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Right Dave, thanks!
and on the tank setup, could it be the reason for that too?

hugs
Thiago

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It could be. How do you have the tank set up?

Cheers,
Dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by ThiagoMassa
(I don´t know what plump means but she is active).
You don't know what plump means!? You little bratty little kids need to read the dictionary more. ;P Here is the definition according to good old Mr. Webster.

Plump: Well-rounded, robust and full in form; chubby.

Basically I'm asking you if she's pretty fat.

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
You don't know what plump means!? You little bratty little kids need to read the dictionary more. ;P Here is the definition according to good old Mr. Webster.

Plump: Well-rounded, robust and full in form; chubby.

Basically I'm asking you if she's pretty fat.
Right, man, sometimes the internet doesn´t help us a lot, the translator I have does not have this word and the dictionary I have was not here, and I tried man, I swear I tried to see the meaning but there were no conditions, as you can see I live in Brazil and english is not my first language...
In my translator, plump means only a thud, a fall, a collision a collapse... preetty crazy...

Você se preocuparia em aprender a língua portuguesa? Aqui, somos obrigados a aprender a sua língua, que por sinal é medíocre, pobre e ridículamente fácil de aprender, mesmo assim, há palavras que não conseguimos ler em inglês, mas eu acho que em português vc teria mais dificuldade que eu, em inglês.

Do you see, our languages are preety different! hahahahhahaha
If you could translate this the way I meant I´d say you asked some portuguese teacher. Just to see the dificulties in different languages. If you search in a dictionary, you would be disapointed...

Back to the scorp, yes she is fat!

Hugs!
Massa

Last edited:

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh, when I was cleaning her tank, i´ve seen some fungus, I think it could possibly be the reason...
Is there any medicine for fungus? I mean, in scorps??