Backyard finds

Psychrolutes

Arachnopeon
Hey there, new here. Searched the net for places to put up some pictures of spiders I've found and photographed in and around the backyard. Found some sites where you can only post arachninds found in the US, some European sites, where you can not post pictures at all, and some abandoned forums. But this place seems exactly what I've searched for.

All the spiders here were shot in nature, I dont have any sort of vivarium, I'm too lazy to build one. :) some pictures have purple fringing, or aberration - I use a cheap 40€ lens (with the ideal focal length though) in combination with some close-up lenses, so that's why. Hope they interest you anyway.

Some spideys come from the Paleartic zone, so you might not be familiar with them, most of them are cosmopolitan though. And besides you most likely know about arachinds much more than me, so I'll just write some observations.

Shot at 2010-04-30
A Trochosa terricola; wolf spider, these guys are really common, shy, not as fast as some of the other wolf spiders, due to the shorter legs, I guess.

Shot at 2010-04-30
Another wolf spider; likely Pardosa lugubris, a lot faster than the Trochosa, more impulsive too, might be running around like there's no tomorrow, other times it just loiters there half asleep, for minutes at a time.

Shot at 2010-04-30
Front view, male, feasting on an ant.

Shot at 2010-04-30
Female.

Shot at 2010-04-30
Moving on, a Tegenaria domestica, female. Not as common as one would assume. Having real problems with taking snaps of them because their color patterns are so unusual the pictures look weird.

Shot at 2010-04-30
One of the orb-weavers, maybe Larinioides cornutus.

Shot at 2010-04-30

Shot at 2010-04-30
And another one; Araniella cucurbitina. It blends in very nicely.

Shot at 2010-04-30
The shadowy one, Nuctenea umbratica (umbra meaning shadow in latin). A nocturnal hunter, so it's unusual for it to come out in daylight, I twice accidentaly destroyed his web, while mowing, so he rebuilt it twice during the night. :) They usually hide in tree barks during the day.

Shot at 2010-04-30
A male, obviously.

Some crab spiders:

Shot at 2010-04-30
Diaea dorsata, love these little guys, quite the acrobats.

Shot at 2010-04-30
Another one from the Thomisidae family.

Shot at 2010-04-30

Shot at 2010-04-30
Umm, that's just ...

Shot at 2010-04-30
The invincible Pholcus, plenty of them all around.

Shot at 2010-04-30
As well as Steatodas (Triangulosa), quite the infestation. A nuisance to take a photo off, because of their reflective surfaces though.

Shot at 2010-04-30
A special case, Scytodes thoracica, a spitting spider.

Anyway, the photos are uploaded to imageshack, so I hope they stay up. Hope you like 'em, be seeing you around.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice pictures (and spiders of course). Ill help ya with the ones, i'm assuming, you weren't sure about: #6 and #7 is Zilla diodia, #12-14 are all Xysticus sp. (i love that #14 pic {D).
Thanks for these pics!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Great shots, esp. on a discount cam!

The 4th pic from the bottom: is that a mating pair sharing a roach snack?

Psychrolutes

Arachnopeon
Thanks all, especially for the ID!

@zonbonzovi, I guess they're mating, but sharing, I dont think so. She looks like she wants all of it for herself. :)