1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby millipedes!

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by ghostlycorvid, May 3, 2018.

1. ghostlycorvid

ghostlycorvid Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I woke up this morning to find a couple little worms against the glass in one of my millipede tanks that upon closer inspection, turned out to be millipedes themselves! This is a huge surprise given that the only two species in that tank are Orthoporus and Floridobolus, I know I have a mix of male and female Orthoporus, and I thought both my Floridobolus were males, but I wasn't expecting any babies either way.

Exciting! I'll be keeping a close eye on them. I'm glad to see more life in the tank, since 4 out of the 6 millipedes in that tank have been burrowed since December. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Wesley Smith

Wesley Smith Arachnoknight Active Member

YOU BRED ORTHOPORUS!? I could be misstake, but from my research, this either takes a master keeper, dumb luck, or wild soil with unforseen eggs.

3. ghostlycorvid

I only just started keeping millipedes last summer, so my best guess is sheer dumb luck, haha! I'm not totally sure which species the babies are, but Orthoporus seems more likely given the 3:1 ratio of Orthoporus to Floridobolus in the tank.
    Pretty sure the soil was sterilized before I bought it, but I've had this same soil in this particular tank since August 2017, so I don't think it's any surprise eggs in the soil from wherever it was sourced.

4. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince

Floridibolus are also not easy to breed, so either way it is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations on the babies! :joyful:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Congrats! Here's hoping that they all thrive and you get some interesting colors :3

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince

Is the shape of the baby like a Floridobolus? That might be a help for you. But I am not sure when they take on that flatness. I would assume it starts right off the bat...

7. fluffykitten

fluffykitten Arachnopeon

Congrats, they're so cute! Hope they grow up to be really beautiful :)

8. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

Wow, congrats! :woot: I will be very interested to see the little ones as they develop and know what species you have! :)

Indeed, I know of no one who has had them reproduce in captivity, not even an experienced keeper who kept them outdoors in their natural range. They may need to burrow very deep or there is a paper from the 1950’s that suggests they may overwinter with a species of ant!

A few years ago, there was a rumor that someone claimed to have had them reproduce, but this did hold up.

I doesn’t seem as many people have tried to breed Floridobolos millipedes — at least I could find no information when last I looked — and it would be very exciting to know what conditions encourage their reproduction! :writer:

9. Lucanus95

Lucanus95 Arachnoknight

In case of penneri and orini, they start out skinny. I've collected several juveniles last year that are skinny like N. americanus. One of them eventually took the "fat" appearance after reaching adult size.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince

Thank you Lucanus! I only have experience with adults.

11. Exoskelos

Exoskelos Arachnosquire

I have a paper about identifying millipede species based on the type of burrow they make, if those baby ones are mostly in J-shaped burrows then they are probably Orthoporus, as F. penneri rarely, if ever creates J-shaped burrows. Course you could wait until they get a bit bigger for a definitive answer, but from the picture they probably are Orthoporus. If they are, I confess I may be a bit envious, but mine have been underground for a while, might have some pedelings myself in a week or two.

12. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

Fascinating! :) What is the title of the paper and who is the first author? I’m interested to have a look! :bookworm:

13. Exoskelos

Exoskelos Arachnosquire

Here you go. I can't remember all it said, but its mainly about using the current burrowing behavior to identify unknown fossil burrows of millipedes. Pretty rad stuff actually.
    https://palaeo-electronica.org/content/pdfs/395.pdf
    It's in PDF form, hope that's ok. If I gather up enough of these type of papers, I'll probably post a megathread of links, like the one for centipedes that's been stickied.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

Thank you so much! :D

15. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince

That's awesome, @Exoskelos . You have a knack for finding great papers. PS - Just a little over a week to the next CinCity show. Are you going?

16. ghostlycorvid

It's been exactly 7 months since I posted this and I ended up rehoming my millipedes into a new tank due to some fungus that I was worried about in the old one, which meant a very careful excavation of every baby I can find. I believe that first picture I posted the baby was only 5-10mm long, but now I have some that are nearing 2cm in length! I ended up extracting roughly 80 babies and I'm still carefully taking any that surface out of the old tank and relocating them into the new one. The photo turned out pretty dark as most of them are still super pale, but I thought you guys might appreciate seeing their development!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. SFA

SFA Arachnosquire Active Member

Ohio
    So cool - please keep us updated, I’d love to know of these end up actually being orthoporus!!!