Baboon tarantula that looks similar to GBB discovered in Namibia

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes of course. I would like to point out though that blue tarantulas being your example (M balfouri, P metallica, versicolor slings, etc. are all blue but look nothing alike) is quite a bit less specific than blue legs, orange abdomen and shimmery carapace. Thats rather specific. I’m sure they are probably not related in any way, its just interesting to me that they are so similar.
I do love talking about science. I chose blue tarantulas for 2 reasons, one it is found in the animal we are speaking about (Ts), and fortunately there is a scientific paper which has examined the evolutionary aspect and other aspects of blue iridescence found in these animals.

I believe your head may stop spinning if you read the scientific paper I'm referring to above :D My example of choosing blue is relevant here.

If we are going to discuss "specific", I think you should be specific, as you haven't been so far. :D

How specific do you want to be? Shimmering carapace-- not specific enough, because few tarantulas have that-- not true, many do ;) Based on this video, this animal doesn't have an abdomen like GBB. GBBs exoskeleton is almost black on the abdomen, and their setae are a bright burnt orange. Their bodies are covered in orange setae, their carapace is a darker rich blue, unlike the specimen in the video.

None of the traits mentioned in the GBB above are found in this species. This species has a steel blue similar to I. mira's toes.

I'm surprised that someone who felt my peer-reviewed scientific example was simplistic, and wrote of being more specific, is actually overly simplistic himself in his observations ;)

Mind you these traits are rather macro, there are a myriad of others involved in T cladistics to consider in order to even suggest 2 specimens are related.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My head is spinning with questions that I know have no answers. 2 arid species that look so similar native to completely different continents. Are they somehow related? Did they evolve completely seperate from each other to look so similar? Are there factors to an arid landscape that could play into how these species evolve to look the way they do?
You think that's weird, check out Aphonopelma mooreae. It's pretty much just GBB: Mexican Edition (also absolutely gorgeous and not available in the hobby afaik :'( ). Convergent evolution in tarantula coloration happens over and over, and I'd love to find out why.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I do love talking about science. I chose blue tarantulas for 2 reasons, one it is found in the animal we are speaking about (Ts), and fortunately there is a scientific paper which has examined the evolutionary aspect and other aspects of blue iridescence found in these animals.

I believe your head may stop spinning if you read the scientific paper I'm referring to above :D My example of choosing blue is relevant here.

If we are going to discuss "specific", I think you should be specific, as you haven't been so far. :D

How specific do you want to be? Shimmering carapace-- not specific enough, because few tarantulas have that-- not true, many do ;) Based on this video, this animal doesn't have an abdomen like GBB. GBBs exoskeleton is almost black on the abdomen, and their setae are a bright burnt orange. Their bodies are covered in orange setae, their carapace is a darker rich blue, unlike the specimen in the video.

None of the traits mentioned in the GBB above are found in this species. This species has a steel blue similar to I. mira's toes.

I'm surprised that someone who felt my peer-reviewed scientific example was simplistic, and wrote of being more specific, is actually overly simplistic himself in his observations ;)

Mind you these traits are rather macro, there are a myriad of others involved in T cladistics to consider in order to even suggest 2 specimens are related.
I’d love to read said paper if you’ve got a link (and its free).

As for my observations being off, I reluncantly admit to watching the video at a red light. A closer look probably was warranted.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’d love to read said paper if you’ve got a link (and its free).

As for my observations being off, I reluncantly admit to watching the video at a red light. A closer look probably was warranted.
You can use Google or Scholar to find it, people have also posted it here. I don't remember how I found at the moment.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I searched "tarantula evolution blue" in scholar.google.com. I had also searched AB looking for the first time @viper69 had linked it, and found a post where he described the institute/publication and author, so went off that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I searched "tarantula evolution blue" in scholar.google.com. I had also searched AB looking for the first time @viper69 had linked it, and found a post where he described the institute/publication and author, so went off that.

It's amazing to find someone who actually used the Search engine, not just one, but two! You sir are a scholar!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You think that's weird, check out Aphonopelma mooreae. It's pretty much just GBB: Mexican Edition (also absolutely gorgeous and not available in the hobby afaik :'( ). Convergent evolution in tarantula coloration happens over and over, and I'd love to find out why.
I couldn't agree more. I'd absolutely love to see a DNA comparison of these 2 species. Always saw reports of them supposedly in the hobby years ago by a few people, but never any proof. I always wondered why this species never entered the hobby either. Probably just as well as some stupid people would breed with a GBB

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Had to rescue this thread just to ask, is there any news about this Namibian specimen? Is this still undescribed?

Thanks. :)