B vagans burrow direction

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Would a vagans rather burrow straight down vertically, or would it rather make a horizontal retreat?

Is it down then over, over then down, or what?

Maybe they just want a piece of cork to hide under . . .

:?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine burrow down diagonally, then bend more horizontally. This is also how I've observed them in the wild.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Joe, I appreciate the help.
My search had turned up no info on this subject . . . ;)

So Im gonna be designing their cages and was wondering how to set them up.
I seen footage of them in Fl, and they were living in like the side of a levy, so I thought Id ask.

Im gonna do my best to set them up so they have as much horizontal room as vertical(as far as burrowing into the substrate).

I know that certain species occupy different niches, so I just wanna get it right! Thanks again bro!
:D

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is also how I've observed them in the wild.
So do you live near where they have colonized in Fl?
That would be awesome!
Id help the state out by collecting as many as I could . . .
I like to do my part . . . ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So do you live near where they have colonized in Fl?
That would be awesome!
Id help the state out by collecting as many as I could . . .
I like to do my part . . . ;)
I live about 4-5 hours away. I've been there several times though, and both of my females are from there.

Other enthusiasts have mixed opinions on whether they should all be collected or whether they should be allowed to live and thrive, so let me say now that I have no interest in discussing any of that on this thread, since that's not the topic. If someone does want to discuss it, they can PM me or we can start a new thread.

So there! :}

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, lets not turn this into THAT discussion . . .

Heres my Idea:
Setup cage as a "hillside", by piling the substrate mostly on 1 side of the enclosure to be able to simulate an entrance hole that is more horizontal than vertical, giving them the option to go over or down as they see fit.

Imma make up a tester cage, so Ill post pics in a few and tell me what ya think . . .

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, lets not turn this into THAT discussion . . .

Heres my Idea:
Setup cage as a "hillside", by piling the substrate mostly on 1 side of the enclosure to be able to simulate an entrance hole that is more horizontal than vertical, giving them the option to go over or down as they see fit.

Imma make up a tester cage, so Ill post pics in a few and tell me what ya think . . .
I actually set one up with an elbow joint of PVC pipe to act as the 'burrow' entrance, and she took right to it! I never see her any more. :(

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, that seems to be the concensus with burrowers.
I aint so much worried about seeing them as I am getting it right for what they like.

I seen your pic thread, could you post a pic of the actual tank you keep them in?

These are probably the only brachys Ill get, so Id like to get it right . . .

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that seems to be the concensus with burrowers.
I aint so much worried about seeing them as I am getting it right for what they like.

I seen your pic thread, could you post a pic of the actual tank you keep them in?

These are probably the only brachys Ill get, so Id like to get it right . . .
Oh I'm not saying I've got them set up right, because that's all open to interpretation. But I'll get some pics for you.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics, they helped me alot!

Of course, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, but you seem to have a pretty good handle on what is satisfactory.
I llike the pvc elbows, and I noticed they enter the sloped-up pile of substrate, kinda simulating a horizontal entrance in a vertical area.

I was thinking of using some glass jars for these vagans, but I might go run over to the store and see if I can find something else.

BTW, I just got 11 slings in the mail, thats why Im working on this.
I think Imma give a few away tho, my buddies want to get started and this is probably the best starter species I have(that Id be willing to part with anyways), so hopefully I can "thin out the herd"!

Another thought I had is to use the cubes I like so much, but lay them on their sides and set em up that way . . .

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My vagans burrowed in the corner of her enclosure. So her burrow starts vertical and then levels out. My vagans will sit at the entrance at night. So she is some what visible.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wedge, so the entrance is on the ground, not into the side of a "hill"?
How deep is your substrate, and does the bottom level area reach the bottom of the cage?

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would a vagans rather burrow straight down vertically, or would it rather make a horizontal retreat?

Is it down then over, over then down, or what?

Maybe they just want a piece of cork to hide under . . .

:?
Brachypelma vagans is VERY oppertunistic in the wild. ranging from hides under rocks, logs and such to self made burrows in rockhard soil.
i found a lot of burrows in front of maya temples in Central America. those burrows were diagonal.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also have substrate at a slope but it levels off at the top. So yes it is in the ground. Where she burrowed there is about 4" or more of substrate. She is in a huge zoo med enclosure I had intended for something else. I put her in there temporarily while I was prepping her new enclosure. When I got done with that enclosure I opened up the zoo med and she had already made a burrow. So I left her in there. The zoo med was meant for a huge G. pulchripes.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks everybody, I have lotsa ideas now.
I think Im gonna order some of those plastic shoe boxes from the container store, so maybe I wont get to this today.

But keep the advice rollin in, I need all I can get.

I kinda wanna get a large tank and make a mini-mayan temple setup for at least one of these vagans.
I am thinking fishtank deco to find a cool temple.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you have access to scientific journals (or send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the paper, if interested), you might check out this paper:

M’rabet, S.M., Henaut, Y., Sepulveda, A., Rojo, R., Calme, S. & Geissen, V. 2007. Soil preference and burrow structure of an endangered tarantula, Brachypelma vagans (Mygalomorphae: Theraphosidae). Journal of Natural History 41: 1025–1033.

Here's the abstract:
Brachypelma vagans is an endangered tarantula included in Appendix II of CITES because of its popularity as a pet. However, little is known about its ecology, in particular microhabitat choices. In this work we analyse the structure of the vegetation surrounding burrows of this tarantula, as well as soil preference for the burrow at different sites in relation to the density of the species. We also offer the first description of the burrow of this spider. Brachypelma vagans mostly uses open sites with low vegetation for establishing its burrow, rather than primary or secondary forest. The burrows are essentially built in sites with deep clay soils, whereas sandy soils or soils with a high density of roots and stones are avoided. The soil characteristics may be the key factor determining the presence of B. vagans. The burrow of B. vagans is deep and complex, exhibiting various chambers, even if only one seems to be used by the occupant. The structure of the burrow and soil characteristics are obviously related. These results could help determine the real distribution of B. vagans within its geographic range, and might be useful for a better management focused on protection and reintroduction.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans is VERY oppertunistic in the wild. ranging from hides under rocks, logs and such to self made burrows in rockhard soil.
i found a lot of burrows in front of maya temples in Central America. those burrows were diagonal.

My experience supports what Eddy says. I've found them in stone walls, under boards, in rock piles and of course in burrows which as far as I can tell were dug down at an angle but I've never dug one up to see if it levels out or turns. The B. vagans are almost always very near the surface and easy to tease out.

Ollie

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow Kirk, that was some great reading!
Some of it was little over my head, but all in all, it helped out alot.
Im definately gonna save those for future references.

Ya got anything about avics?

:D