B. vagans breeding - Angry female

charm271

Arachnosquire
I have been placing the B. vagans together about once a week for a month and a half. At this pairing she charged him several times before I removed the both of them. In her cage she also been aggressive to any food stuff (crickets and worms) attacking them immediately no matter if she was hungry. Her but is looking bigger but not huge. I am wondering if she could be pregnant and would this account for this aggressive behavior (she was not aggressive in the past). If she is pregnant then what is the next step in her care.

redrump.jpg

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
have you tried the breeding reports? i have noticed the same thing with the female rosie ive paired a few times about a month ago.. she is getting real aggressive. I plan on doing simply nothing.. let HER be, too much stress could kill the project before it takes off

Tonys spiders

Arachnosquire
I think you should either let her be and wait to see or leave them together and let her have one last nice meal when she thinks the male has done his job. Some females just arent as receptive as others. But you said she has become much more aggressive/denfensive in general so chances are shes gravid. Good luck.
Tony

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gauging a female's receptivity can be tricky. If you think she may be gravid, then cease pairing them and keep her well-fed. If she starts to slowly gain in size then that is a good sign. Personally, though, unless I witness insertion during pairing, I will keep trying.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks guys, as your answers for the OP reassure ME on my project as well... Hey charm, i think all there is left to do is to probably keep the sub clean as (easily) possible at all times,.. keep fresh water available.. and keep your girl fed. If she IS gravid thats the best advice i can give. The waiting game sucks, but its part of this hobby lol

RyanW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was able to candle my vagans. It was very apparent when she was full of eggs.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as a side note (not to hijack the thread)... what does it mean when i attempt to candle and im not seeing anything? my rosie is OBVIOUSLY gaining a significant amount of size, is getting rather moody, and is starting to act different. Its been over a month since pairing. Could the reason shes not glowing be because
A. its a ROSIE, and some take up to 11 months to drop
B. My LED sucks (dollar store kind)
C. The pairing just didnt take? (the MM was EXTREMELY fresh and made a GREAT number of insertions)
Any input would be great.

Sorry to ask ?s in somebody elses thread, but in all fairness the OP can use this info too

advan

oOOo
Staff member
OP: If you have been pairing off and on for awhile and the females attitude has changed towards the male, it's a good sign the job is done. If it's not done, well, she's just sick of him.

Gray: I have never been able to candle any gravid females I have had. Just leave them alone and let them do their thing. Girls that I have paired, I take a quick peek once every 1-2 weeks but other than that I leave them alone. A bunch of added stress is not going to make a female feel secure enough in her home/surroundings to drop a sac. No matter how invasive some youtubers are with their females laying sacs, don't do it(IMO of course ;)).

Tonys spiders

Arachnosquire
OP: If you have been pairing off and on for awhile and the females attitude has changed towards the male, it's a good sign the job is done. If it's not done, well, she's just sick of him.

Gray: I have never been able to candle any gravid females I have had. Just leave them alone and let them do their thing. Girls that I have paired, I take a quick peek once every 1-2 weeks but other than that I leave them alone. A bunch of added stress is not going to make a female feel secure enough in her home/surroundings to drop a sac. No matter how invasive some youtubers are with their females laying sacs, don't do it(IMO of course ;)).

I agree, best thing to do is not even disturb them
At all. The less stress the more chance you have of her dropping a sack and if disturbed you coul cause her to eat her sack once dropped. So id say just leave them be.

Tony