B. vagans and G. pulchripes care

Kaden Bryant

Arachnosquire
I am having quite a difficult time finding a reliable care guide for Brachypelma vagans slings and Grammostola pulchripes slings. The main thing I still don't understand is how moist the substrate should be, but I still have a few other questions. Can you guys highlight their care and or link a reliable care sheet. Thanks.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Care sheets are awful. General rule of thumb for moisture is slings need more than adults. With a sling it's sufficient to supply a water bowl and 'make it rain' with holes punched into a water bottle just enough so that it dries out every week or 2.

Both said species are terrestrial, so more width than height, and substrate deep enough for some burrowing as well as having the distance from the top of the enclosure to the substrate be no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's legspan.

Supply an open ended hide half buries in the substrate. Did I miss anything?

Also try checking other forums by searching for these species in the search bar.

cold blood

Staff member
Keep them the same way you would keep any terrestrial sling. Condiment cup with slightly damp sub...or you can just dampen half of the sub if you are prone to over-watering. Keep it simple.View media item 38785

Once they get to or over an inch move them into a 16oz deli cup (or something that size) and add a water dish and a small hide. At this point you can start to dry the sub out a bit

By 2" they can pretty much be kept as they would as adults, by 3" they are ready for an upgrade from the 16oz. deli.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Generally Care sheets are CRAP, care sheets KILL tarantulas, esp slings DO NOT USE them.

As for care, keep them identical, many species appear to be quite tolerant of a variety of temperatures and husbandry practices.

For sub, it's really trial and error. Don't grow mold, don't have it soaked either. All relative terms I realize. Can't really describe it myself.

ALWAYS give them a water dish. If you don't, your T may die.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
As they grow, lessen the moisture with the G. pulchripes but keep a little with the vagans

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just like others have said care is very similar. One thing I will point out is temperature. Make sure your temps do not stay above 85-90 for too long and make sure that your temps also does not get too cold. A high temp is definitely not needed but some people do not have AC. With those higher temps you will also need to feed slightly more often.

Also, most of these are not rocket science to take care of but you can actually study their natural habitat. If you really feel the need to get down to monitoring temps and humidity then research them in their country of origin. I use to do this with Poecilotheria and Avicularia before getting out of the hobby so I would mimic their natural habitat. Not really needed but it is something to keep in mind :)