B. Smithi

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesome T, cant wait till mine gets that big :)
and welcome to the boards

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi there and welcome. :)

Awesome pics you showed us, and you're pretty brave in MY book to handle your B. Smithi with those incredible threat displays. :eek:

---
Wendy
---

spid3r_guy

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone - sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier, I was just excited to finally post some pics on a tarantula community. :rolleyes: I'm Randy, i'm in PA, USA. Nice to be here :worship:

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
and you're pretty brave in MY book to handle your B. Smithi with those incredible threat displays.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those are threat displays. The pics are taken through the glass while the T climbing right?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What kind of substrate are you using?

Welcome to the boards and enjoy the ride!

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri said:
Was going to ask the same thing. If that's sand, I think that the general recommendation would be to replace it with plain old potting soil and / or peat moss.

Welcome aboard!!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the Boards!!!

My B. smithi just molted today but its only about an inch, cant wait to see adult coloration.

also, I like ur Tats dude, very cool.

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sheri said:

That looks like ESU's Desert Blend Lizard Litter. It's great stuff for any critter that requires little to no humidity. I don't use it for any of my T's, just because it molds like *crazy* when given the opportunity. Works really well for my Leopard Gecko, though.

Tim

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if those are threat displays he sure aint happy about having his picture taken.
Nice smithi...

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
Nice T and welcome to the boards I own a B smithi myself very awsome T love the colors.....

spid3r_guy

Arachnopeon
Threat displays and substrate

Correct - those pics were taken as he was crawling up the glass. My T is pretty docile when it comes to handling, however, it becomes very skittish after being out for a period of time. I dont recommend handling but I became a little interested in doing it, and I do it very rarely, usually after a molt when his colors are very bright.

You are correct in guessing I use Repti-Blend sand. It has not developed any growth what-so-ever in the time I have been using it. I have been keeping my eyes open for vermiculite which I hear works great. Potting soil and related substances are "seasonal" around these parts and is very hard to come by in the winter months, which it is right now. Humidity has been at a constant in my tank so I don't worry about that.

And thanks for the tat remarks - i'll be sure to show off more when the next molt comes around. :D

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's cute how you use the jungle print behind the glass on the back. :razz: