1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.Smithi

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by SethB, Jun 14, 2018.

1. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    Advertisement
    Hello,
    2 days ago i bought my first T. Its a female B.Smithi. I put her in her terrarium and she scouted the area. But now she has been sitting stil in a corner for over 24 hours. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

Yep. Perfectly normal. They are nocturnal and so if there’s too much bright light during the day they will hide in whichever place shields them the most. It may mean that she has no other place to, so I suggest changing the small cave you have there for a piece of cork bark or something that gives her a larger hole to go into.

Also, what are you using for your substrate? It seems like woodchips.

3. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    Thanks for the answer
    Ill add a picture from the substrate.
    On top are Some woodchips

Attached Files:

4. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

No probs. Substrate looks ok but woodchips are a no-no when it comes to tarantulas. The sharp edges can hurt their abdomens as they walk, which would explain why she went to the one corner that has none. I would remove all of the woodchips.

Couple more questions. What are you using for water supply? And also, I see a light cable going to the top of your terrarium. What type of lamp is it for?

5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

set up is not appropriate for a terrestrial....thats an enclosure best suited for arboreals....all that height is just plain hazardous.

Looks like B. hamorii btw.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    Ok ty ill remove the wood.
    The water are Some crystals That you have to put in water and then they “grow”.

Attached Files:

7. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

Gotcha. Remove those crystals, they cannot be used by the spider since they lack the enzymes to digest the gelatin. Just fill it with water instead, tarantulas won’t drown on a water dish and the evaporating water will manage your humidity for you.

8. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    Thanks alot man, not al heros wear capes. Also i got one last question about my heating lamp. When do i have to turn iT on and when can i keep i out?

• Like Like x 1
  9. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    Oh and the water from a bottle or water tap?

10. Theneil

Theneil Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    i would use bottled water to make sure there is no clorine ot other poison in it.

The heat lamp should Never be turned on. Room temp is perfectly acceptable for your tarantula.

Also as stated by cold blood, your enclosure dimensions appear to be better suited to an arboreal.

General rule for terrestrial species such as yours is that from the top of the enclosure to the top of the substrate should be no more than 1.5 times the legspan of the spider, because a long fall can easily kill them.

Edit: Spelling.

11. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

Easy! Never turn it on.

Heat lamps dessicate Ts. Unscrupulous pet shop owners will just sell them for extra profit. Unless your place is in the Arctic, you are good on temperature. Only if it gets below 65 or above 85 on a constant basis should you worry.

And I use tap water on mine but I have a filter on it. Usually anything you would drink constantly is perfectly A-ok, but if in doubt use bottled.

And echoing what cold blood said, you may want to think about switching her tank out. Usually with terrestrials you want something flat and low to the ground. Jamie’s Tarantulas sells some pretty good ones if you’re interested.

Also, welcome to the best hobby in the world! Enjoy your Hamorii. I’ve had one for 3 years and they are great.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    Thank you all for the answers

13. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

Also, changing your enclosure doesn’t mean throwing the other one away. It means you get to buy an arboreal T next :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    I got another noob question xD
    What is the time between molts, she molted a week. And is it good If i fill the enclosure so it reaches the bottom of the little door or is a new one just better?

15. cold blood

Or merely modifying the current enclosure.

You can lay it on its back, so the doors are at the top, dam the mesh top (preferably replace with drilled acrylic) and then you can fill it with enough substrate to be suitable for a terrestrial.

16. Campi95

Campi95 Arachnosquire

Months, at least. She seems beefy, so anywhere between 2 to 6 months? It varies quite a bit, but the short answer is you are good for a while.

If you want to keep this enclosure, then use @cold blood’s method. It’s the safest way to make sure your T doesn’t hurt herself. My hamorii is a horrible climber. I’m sure she’d be dead by now if she had a tall enclosure.

17. cold blood

That looks like an adult, or at least close to it...I would say about a year between molts...possibly longer though. So there's really no hurry to fatten it up quickly....many new keepers make this mistake, which leads to months of fasting at the back end of the cycle.

18. Theneil

Theneil Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    i don't know that this will do you any good but i have four of them (about 1 inch each) and their previous molt cycles were about 35-40 days each at about 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

19. cold blood

his isnt a sling, so those times wont be relevant to his t.

20. SethB

SethB Arachnopeon

Belgium
    I think im gonna get her a new enclosure, what is the recommended height?