B.Smithi or B.Klaasi

decirp

Arachnopeon
Hey guys looking at one of these two for my second T. Suggestions or any key differences? Thanks very much . I currently have a B.Albopilosum sling and digging it. Two will be my max until I become more knowledgeable.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Found this shorter thread on klaasi care. Don't think there are any key differences in husbandry, only in looks. Both species hail from Mexico so they need a dry terrestrial setup. Easy care.

Oh, and there's the issue of price. A klaasi might break your wallet on a bad day while a hamorii sling is usually much more affordable and readily available.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
B. hamorii and B. klaasi can be kept with ease, as they are from drier areas. It's not called B. smithi anymore, it had a revision and became B. hamorii as the B. annitha took its place as the B. smithi. But in regards as to what to get, I would go for the B. hamorii, those are more affordable. The B. klaasi are expensive as slings all through adults.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
But in regards as to what to get, I would go for the B. hamorii, those are more affordable. The B. klaasi are expensive as slings all through adults.
Here in Canada where @decirp is from, slings are the same price for B. hamorii and B. klaasi. TarCan has them both listed for $25 as 2i slings. You could get a slightly larger B. klaasi for $45, or a proper B. smithi (ex. annitha) for $65.

@decirp, I would simply choose the one you prefer the look of. As the others have mentioned, care will be the same. Maybe adult size will differ, if that's a consideration, and growth rates may be different.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Here in Canada where @decirp is from, slings are the same price for B. hamorii and B. klaasi. TarCan has them both listed for $25 as 2i slings. You could get a slightly larger B. klaasi for $45, or a proper B. smithi (ex. annitha) for $65.

@decirp, I would simply choose the one you prefer the look of. As the others have mentioned, care will be the same. Maybe adult size will differ, if that's a consideration, and growth rates may be different.
Im jealous of that pricing LOL:rolleyes:

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
I've heard many great things about having a B. hamorii as a first T, so I can imagine it would be great as a second. My first choice was the B. hamorii due to it's simple husbandry and I love the colors (I was born in October.) I didn't trust the store I was going to get it from so I went with an A . seemanii and I couldn't be happier. Great species for beginners as well.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron

Whoops, that's what I get for not checking locations! Bad to assume everyone is from the US, lol.

decirp

Arachnopeon
awesome thanks all, i didn't think there was much of a difference between them but just wanted to confirm. So husbandry would be the same as my B. Albo? Ill be heading to the TO reptile show and pick one up there. And yes Tarantula Canada has some good prices I had no idea they were much pricier in the good ol USA.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
awesome thanks all, i didn't think there was much of a difference between them but just wanted to confirm. So husbandry would be the same as my B. Albo? Ill be heading to the TO reptile show and pick one up there. And yes Tarantula Canada has some good prices I had no idea they were much pricier in the good ol USA.
What's cool about these is that Tarantula Canada brought them in on an import from Mexico, so they have been captive bred by breeders there, and you get a cool CITES certificate of authenticity with purchase to confirm that.

For a LONG time there were very, very few of these in Canada and the prices were double, so if you're gonna splurge, heck, just get BOTH. The timing to buy these is excellent; It'll take a LONG time for them to grow into larger enclosures anyways.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I love both my hamorii and klaasi, but I am partial to klaasi. Their husbandry is the same. I find that my hamorii kicks hairs more, but my klaasi is noticeably more skittish when disturbed - this is comparing two females, both of whom are 4". Both my girls have grown at the same rate. Both are always out and about where I can see them. The klaasi is reputed as being the largest of the genus - possibly reaching as large as 7", but likely to get around 6" for an adult female. Adult females of hamorii top out at 5-6".
You can't go wrong with either of them and it boils down to which you prefer the look of. Both are a must have in my books.
DSC03827-2.jpg
DSC06665-2.jpg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys looking at one of these two for my second T. Suggestions or any key differences? Thanks very much . I currently have a B.Albopilosum sling and digging it. Two will be my max until I become more knowledgeable.
Get Klaasi