B. smithi enclosure

sanni

Arachnopeon
Here is the new home for my B. smithi. The size is 15cm x 30cm. My smithis ls is 5cm and its soon ready to molt. Comments please. :)

IMG_20130504_124610.jpg

IMG_20130504_124936.jpg

sanni

Arachnopeon
Re-housed it into here yesterday and seems to be ok since he/she took food allready today. So not too stressed. :) First terrarium I have decorated.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
It looks nice but isn't it a little tall for a terrestrial? Wouldn't want her to climb the background bark and fall from the top.

sanni

Arachnopeon
It probably still is too tall for it thats true. But I hardly have a choice since its the 30x30x30cm exoterra that I have got for it. I tried and put a lot of substrate in it and putting it higher up toward the edges and the back. I hope that it will be ok for her. But yeah. its still probably a 15-20 cm fall if that was to happen. :(

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can always put a piece of plexi glass at the front of the tank to allow it to hold in more substrate, and to allow you to still use the front doors :)
Otherwise, looks good!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^ Excellent suggestion, that. Not only is she pretty, but she has great ideas as well. :biggrin:

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
P5050042.jpg

I keep my G.rosea in a 30cm cube aswell but I fill the substrate to the brim and angle it to the back so that the largest glass space is 7"(17cm) at the front and 4"(10cm) at the back I feel that this is fine for my 5inch g.rosea

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poor choice for a terrestrial. A large Kritter Keeper or a similarly sized piece of Tupperware would be ideal.

sanni

Arachnopeon
The plexi glass to help hold more substrate sound like an awesome idea. Ill look in to that. :) Ill try add some more cocohust for it to improve safety.

As for a critter keeper. I want it to be "on display" and a glass terrarium is so much nicer is that aspect. I do understand the hight is a lot for it even as an adult but they dont really have a option for it so making the best of with what I have.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poor choice for a terrestrial. A large Kritter Keeper or a similarly sized piece of Tupperware would be ideal.
Many people here use the ExoTerra terrariums because they look much nicer than a kritter keeper. If you have a terrestrial T who is more likely to bolt when you open up the doors, you can always open the tank from the top, just like a kritter keeper.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many people here use the ExoTerra terrariums because they look much nicer than a kritter keeper. If you have a terrestrial T who is more likely to bolt when you open up the doors, you can always open the tank from the top, just like a kritter keeper.
All of my tarantulas, with the exception of slings (and my adult B. smithi – she’s housed in a terrestrial setup from Tarantula Cages), are housed in Exo Terra tanks. Aesthetically, I’m not a fan of Kritter Keepers – however, my small terrestrial specimens are housed in them. They’re cheap, readily available, and, perhaps most importantly, where terrestrials are concerned, safe.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I like them too if set up properly. I'd much rather use that than a Tupperware container. I'm setting up a terrarium, not storing left-over dinner in the fridge.:biggrin:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why would you house a terrestrial species in an arboreal setup ? I understand it may be the only enclosure you have. If that's the case why do you have the B. smithi at all then ??

sanni

Arachnopeon
Not sure how that is considered a arboreal set up? The terrarium is only about 20cm tall with almost 10 cm substrate. Also the way it is set up is not arboreal either. 20cm is too much for my spider at the moment I do realize that but once it grown a bit it should be fine if I have understood correct.