1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. smithi behavior

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by baf236, Nov 23, 2007.

1. baf236

baf236 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    My 3 in B. Smithi has been in pre-molt now for about 3 wks. Last night I noticed she was rubbing her hind legs on her abdomen. This was not in defense but I imagine she was pulling hairs out. Does anyone know what this behavior is? Is this common during pre-molt?:?

2. That is common before a molt. They lay down a bunch of hair, normally in the area they are going to bed down for a molt. They serve as a defense/deterrent against predators while they molt.

3. it is defensive behavior. what she is doing is getting ready to molt. when she is molting and for a while after she is defenseless. these hairs are her defense. its to keep critters from eating her while she is unable to defend herself. basically like molting in a minefield lol

BTW slow down Ryan lol

4. Hey dude speed up! ;P

5. baf236

baf236 Arachnosquire

Thanks!

Thanks for your help! Does this mean she is very close to a molt or could it still be weeks off yet?

BTW Ryan the slings I got from you are all doing well still. I'd say they are about 1/2 to 3/4 in. I think all my slings are growing slower now that the weather has become cooler. They all have fat abdomes though.:)

6. Good to hear they are all doing well!

As for the Smithi in pre molt....... kicking of the hairs like that can mean a molt is near. But it also could have been her itching. Both actions are similar. Pre molt that long though for that size it sounds like a molt is around the corner.