B. Lateralis Ootheca Hatching

Lord Mort

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

I was looking for some feedback on this idea...

Since I'm having trouble getting nymphs from my colony, I though I would try putting some ootheca in a sealed sandwich bag with some moist sphagnum moss for humidity and place it on top of a reptile heating pad.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had this issue too, so I put the ooths in a bottle cap, placed them in a small Tupperware container lined with paper towels with a few airholes poked in the lid, and misted the paper towel. I can't remember if I added heat or not, but it definitely worked to get them to hatch.

aphono

Arachnobaron
FWIW- only attempted hatching this species in the last couple months. I had luck using deli cups with cocofiber and perlite(got a huge bag for hydrophonic setups when they were on sale for just 6 bucks, only reason for the perlite). Placed in the warmest spot in the house- no supplemental heat.

Every set up with the substrate moistened ended up with mold smothering the oothecae. The ones with barely any water added(dribbled down one side furthest from the oothecae) did well.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah you definitely don't want to soak the paper towel/substrate.

@aphono out of curiosity did you have the ooths touching the substrate or were they in something that kept them off of it?

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yeah you definitely don't want to soak the paper towel/substrate.

@aphono out of curiosity did you have the ooths touching the substrate or were they in something that kept them off of it?
Direct contact. I would try another set up without direct contact however the adults have mostly died off & no mature males for about two months by now. How long do the females maintain good fertility after their last mating?

Lord Mort

Arachnopeon
I'm very glad that we are having this discussion. After reconsidering, I think my paper towel was too moist. Plus the ootheca were touching it directly. The warmest place in my building is about 75° so I have altered my idea.

I'm taking a page out of aphono's book and putting the ootheca in a deli cup with moist coco fiber (with a little vermiculite for mold prevention). But I'm going a step further by using pannaking's idea and putting them in an empty botlle cap first so they aren't in direct contact with the moist substrate... Then, I'm putting the deli cup in a sandwich bag and then putting that on the heater pad. This should keep the ootheca in the upper 90°s if my estimations are correct.

Thoughts?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I'm no expert, but 95F + 100% Humidity + No air circulation = Bad

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I had this issue too, so I put the ooths in a bottle cap, placed them in a small Tupperware container lined with paper towels with a few airholes poked in the lid, and misted the paper towel. I can't remember if I added heat or not, but it definitely worked to get them to hatch.
This is what I do , just at room temperature and I have ooths hatching almost every day. I did try to do the same with moist cocofiber in the bottom and the ooths just got moldy.

Lord Mort

Arachnopeon
This is what I do , just at room temperature and I have ooths hatching almost every day. I did try to do the same with moist cocofiber in the bottom and the ooths just got moldy.
How long would a typical ootheca take to hatch with this method? I've read it can be from a few days to a few weeks. What was your experience?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Direct contact. I would try another set up without direct contact however the adults have mostly died off & no mature males for about two months by now. How long do the females maintain good fertility after their last mating?
I'm not sure how long they retain fertility, presumably for a couple ooths at least.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
How long would a typical ootheca take to hatch with this method? I've read it can be from a few days to a few weeks. What was your experience?
I really couldn't tell you, I just toss them in as I find them. Very few nymphs that hatched out in the small breeder colony I have were surviving, so I just pick out the ooths I see when I'm feeding or cleaning and put them all together. I've been putting the new nymphs in the small container I have my small feeders in and they have been doing fine.