B.Hamorii sling question

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My first slings arrived 2 weeks ago, I owned some adults 20 years ago and now I retaked the hobbie. One of the two is a is a 4/5" b.hamorii, after the rehousing I tried to feed her with a small cricket but she run away from it, I made a big mistake and let her alone with the cricket 20 minutes and when looked her again one leg was missing, I killed the bug that was completely eaten in the morning, after that the spider eated some crickets during this time (all dead), but since last tuesday she refuses the meal, running away from the crickets and ignoring their corpses... I'm a little worry about it, I don't know if is something that bothers the spider like much moist in the substrate or crickets bigger than the spider like, or if she is in premolt, I've never had sling before, so I don't know the external sympthoms that indicate this, she looks pretty equal, I don't see his abdomen darker, she moves (when she does) quickly... I attach a picture of the spider so you can see something I don't see
hamorii_casa_16-jun.jpg hamorii_detalle_16-jun.jpg
The other sling is a p.murinus, I'm completely impressed with the appetite of this specimen this eat everithing that moves in his enclosure, an authentic beast.

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Making the photos for this post, I notice that mold is growing into his house, so I decided to dry the substrate and make some new holes in the enclosure, here is the new distribution, what do you think? maybe I have to nebulize some water in the top of the substrate or the water dish is enough for the sling?
hamorii_sustrato_seco_16-jun.jpg

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I would not be surprised if it is in premolt. That booty is very dark and plump. Brachypelma species like bone dry substrate with a water dish, so definitely make sure the sub is dry.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Based on the picture, it looks like you have a very full sling. It probably won't be hungry for a while. Its abdomen is very plump.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Please don't use paper rolls or such as hides! They will mold, no matter what.

Use a piece of cork bark half buried in the sub instead. :)

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Please don't use paper rolls or such as hides! They will mold, no matter what.

Use a piece of cork bark half buried in the sub instead. :)
Thank you, that is the only thing I found to make the hide by the moment, I walked through all the pet stores in my city and no one have cork bark... so I was thinking to use a nutshell or something maybe make a hide with okume plate, pinewood, etc

Thekla

Arachnoprince
For that sling you could use a small plastic flowerpot for the time being. Cut it in half, so it can borrow underneath. I'm sure you'll find something appropiate in your nearest garden center. ;)
A clay flowerpot is also an option, but you have to be extra careful to remove all sharp edges after breaking it in half.

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Maybe is too soon to have her in a bone dry substrate, because after drying the substrate she go to the 'wet spot' I leaved in the substrate specially if she is in pre-molt, what do you think?
IMG_20180617_234206.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Just keep part of the sub damp, part dry.

Slings can only eat so much...when they get their fill, they do exactly what yours is doing....its just a waiting game now...just be patient, there is nothing for you to do.

I do not offer slings (NW terrestrials at least) hides of any sort....nor do I offer enough sub to burrow away....It makes them easier to monitor. I also use enclosures that are half that size, maybe less than half that size...this allows the sling to adopt the entire thing as its "burrow"....reducing its desire to hide and generally making them significantly better hunters over the long haul.

ic32k

Arachnopeon
That enclosure is 3.5 inch in diameter, is the smallest one I could find, I'll try to find smaller one. In the photo you posted the substrate looks as wet as mine in the first photo (if it is coco fiber) so what I should do, Have I to keep more moisture in the sub or with the water dish and some moisture in half of the enclosure is OK?
The p.murinus is perfect has only 4 months old and his behaviour is completely arboreal, but with this one I feel guilty for the missing leg and I want to have her as comfortable as humanly possible...

cold blood

Staff member
what I should do, Have I to keep more moisture in the sub or with the water dish and some moisture in half of the enclosure is OK?
Your substrate looks just fine, just leave half dry out...if the enclosure is large enough to accommodate, then use a water dish.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Brachypelma species like bone dry substrate with a water dish, so definitely make sure the sub is dry.
100% chance of killing your slings.
I keep all my Brachy slings on slightly moist substarte.

Also that isn't true for all Brachys, vagans and albopilosum appreciate moisture.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
100% chance of killing your slings.
I keep all my Brachy slings on slightly moist substarte.

Also that isn't true for all Brachys, vagans and albopilosum appreciate moisture.
I stand corrected. I falsely stretched my knowledge across B. species and their slings. Thanks for informing me

Last edited:

ic32k

Arachnopeon
That's the sling is trying to say to me standing in the spot where I dropped some water... She doesn't move from that site where the humidity are, so I added more moisture to the soil...

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
That enclosure is 3.5 inch in diameter, is the smallest one I could find, I'll try to find smaller one. In the photo you posted the substrate looks as wet as mine in the first photo (if it is coco fiber) so what I should do, Have I to keep more moisture in the sub or with the water dish and some moisture in half of the enclosure is OK?
The p.murinus is perfect has only 4 months old and his behaviour is completely arboreal, but with this one I feel guilty for the missing leg and I want to have her as comfortable as humanly possible...
Go to costco, order a hot dog and ask for the little cup of sourcrout (spelling?). Dump the sourcrout in the trash (because yuck) and keep the container. you now have a 2 oz (i think) condiment cup gor your sling AND lunch. ;)

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Sorry but in Spain are not costco...2 Oz is more or less the same amount of space of the pill jar that she arrived in, but with her 7/8" length is no place for her to move at all no? Maybe a kebap sauce cup is better than the 3,5" diameter cup she has now? (that cup doesn't look so big to my eyes)
What is the problem with having the slings in big enclosures? Is bad to them?
She ate one time more, I think she is angry with me for making her lose his leg. she is definitely on a hunger strike :p

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
What is the problem with having the slings in big enclosures? Is bad to them?
In nature the sling has to balance the need to eat and the need to hide, so when they feel exposed in a large enclosure with all that open space they hide more and eat less and grow a lot slower. I think, however, that the enclosure you provided is still ok, size wise, a bit on the large side but not too bad. And I would definitely keep half of the substrate moist at that size.

ic32k

Arachnopeon
In nature the sling has to balance the need to eat and the need to hide, so when they feel exposed in a large enclosure with all that open space they hide more and eat less and grow a lot slower
So what do you think I have to put a hide for her again? I know that the B.hamorii is slow grower so I don't want to make her growing ratio more slow than she naturally have

boina

Lady of the mites
So what do you think I have to put a hide for her again? I know that the B.hamorii is slow grower so I don't want to make her growing ratio more slow than she naturally have
Yes, definitely give it a hide - a piece of cork bark works best because it won't mold.