1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.dubia too old to breed?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by OblongonotaFan321, Oct 6, 2019.

1. OblongonotaFan321

OblongonotaFan321 Arachnopeon

Indiana
    Advertisement
    Hi, first post here! I've had a lone female dubia for almost a year now and just got a male today. is it too late for her to breed? Sorry for the dumb question :joyful:

Also part of her hind legs started turning black and broke off a few weeks ago.. other than that she seems fine
    879031779812.jpg

2. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    I don't think there's an age where dubias stop being able to be fertilized, but you do need around 1.5-2 months (since that's when they give birth optimally after fertilization). If it's only been an adult for a year and it's being kept in ideal conditions, it ought to be fine, but the leg issue isn't a good sign to me.

3. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnodemon Active Member

Should be fine. They'll breed until they die.

4. OblongonotaFan321

Indiana
    Thanks! I thought the leg problem might have been from the humidity being too high

5. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron

UK
    Ideal conditions for your Dubias are 90/95 F with humidity of about 60%, no more. For moisture needs only give cucumber or orange or sliced carrot, stay away from water dishes with cotton wool, or water gel balls - not needed.

6. OblongonotaFan321

Indiana
    Ok i raised the heating to 90 F and lowered the humidity, is the coco fiber substrate ok to use?

7. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    Coconut fiber is fine for most blaberids, but be careful with it, as it does retain a lot of moisture.

8. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnobaron Active Member

Canada
    The one of the right looks like a hisser?...

9. OblongonotaFan321

Indiana
    I tried to dry it out slightly before i used it.

10. OblongonotaFan321

Indiana
    She was in the hisser tank for a while before i got the male dubia

11. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    Yeah, I normally make mine outside and then lay it out and let it dry in the sun, then add the appropriate amount of water for the species. If I recall correctly, substrate moisture doesn't matter as much as humidity to B. dubia, so I think you're fine.