B. boehmei Sling Acting Strange

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
The B. boehmei sling I ordered yesterday arrived among four others, and was acting perfectly fine up until four hours ago when I checked on it again. I've purchased from this seller two previous times with no issues, great packaging, and overnight shipping. The sling was laying motionless with its legs curled like it was dying. I went to see if it was alive and it clumsily hobbled away then fell onto its back, legs curling against its body.

It seems to be able to walk but then lapses back into a ball, can hardly stand. There is no molt mat or any indicators that it's molting though it might be possible? I contacted the seller with the same picture attached to this thread, he suggested shipping stress and to give it a tiny spritz of water then let him know how it gets on. The substrate is already slightly moist, should I spray it too? I wasn't familiar with shipping stress beforehand, so I'm reading up on that now. Poor B. boehmei is fitting the description. If there's anything I can do besides just see what happens, let me know!

Attachments

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a tight death curl to me, might be a goner. Don't spray, use something small to put a drop of water right on the fangs so it can drink. How was it packaged? When T's are packaged well they shouldn't be too stressed from shipping, IME they refuse food for a few days until they acclimate, some start eating within a few hours, but a death curl is a sign that something is wrong, not stress.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
It was packaged in a vial similar to the one it's in now, just a bit smaller. Wrapped fully in moist paper towels, not like in a hole, the paper towels were touching the T but not with too much pressure. The vials were in a paper bag, shredded newspaper lined the inside with styrofoam insulation then a card board box. There wasn't any room to bounce around, and all the others are in good shape, pretty upsetting to have this happening. I checked temperatures throughout the night during various locations of their shipment, nothing was too low as far as Google said anyway. The pair of C. darlingi slings I got have already eaten, the other two T's are settling in, the B. boehmei is the only one so far exhibiting bad signs. I did drip a little water onto its mouth, how often should I do this, suggesting it lives long enough for it to matter?

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
If the others are okay then shipping must have been fine. I'd take lots of photos/video of it for evidence in case it doesn't make it. Show it to the seller and hopefully they will refund.

Hoping it will come through for you. Such a gorgeous species.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
I sent a picture to them already and notified them as soon as I noticed, but I'll take a video too. They have LAG although in didn't arrive DOA, hopefully they'll refund if doesn't pull through. Of course the species I was looking forward to the most is the one who's doing poorly!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"Shipping stress" is nonexistent... it is a term sellers use to justify not having to be responsible for sending out an unhealthy animal. I have received *hundreds* of T shipments and never once had an animal exhibit signs like that simply from shipping.

I always, always water Ts as soon as they arrive... but the signs your sling is displaying are extreme and wouldn't be caused by not having water while being shipped.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
That's a shame, the person I got them from is very reputable but I don't doubt your words. I've gotten all the tarantulas I have from him, all doing wonderfully and the other four in the same order have already eaten. Not trying to make excuses, it's just surprising and unfortunate if that is true. I paid a considerable amount for it, would hate to lose the money along with the sling.

In any case, the B. boehmei is still alive and isn't death curling anymore, I even saw it grooming itself. It doesn't look the best yet. I moistened its substrate, also put in a pre-killed mini mealie if it decides to eat. I don't want to get my hopes up, though there is improvement, might go downhill regardless. Keeping an eye on the poor thing.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
Tonight I found it eating a pre-killed mealworm and it has been acting fairly normal. Is it safe to assume that it's going to be okay or should I still be worried?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Tonight I found it eating a pre-killed mealworm and it has been acting fairly normal. Is it safe to assume that it's going to be okay or should I still be worried?
I would say it's safe to start getting your hopes up, just make sure to keep an eye on it.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Eating is a really good sign. Does it have a water dish? I see it's in a sling vial so finding a dish is hard. I cut the end off a pipette and use that as a dish in sling vials which works really well. I'll leave an amazon link below, they are super cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3ML-GRADUA...e=UTF8&qid=1543926581&sr=8-4&keywords=pipette

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
I just ordered something similar to those, thanks for the tip! Needed some anyway. In the meantime, I'll look around the house for anything I can use temporarily.

cold blood

Staff member
Clearly it was just dehydrated, it should be just fine now.