B Boehmei molted twice in one week!

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
My B boehmei molted on Tuesday 3rd of July and again yesterday 10th July.
I have never heard of this happening and didn’t even know it was possible. I thought they had to eat and have time to put on size before moulting out again?

I’m very worried that something is wrong with it. It put on size from the first moult but this time has put on 2 to 3 mm of size again and also developed more of its colour. It’s only a sling about 1.5” in size.

I haven’t mixed it up with another Tarantula, there is no doubt in my mind that this happened as I witnessed both moults. I am stunned by it and very confused. Is this normal has anybody else experienced this? I was surprised after the first moult, how big the abdomen remained immediately after the moult. It was very light looking as they are but still a little chunky bear!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How do you know it molted the first time? Did you clearly see it on its back both times? I ask as you may have just found an old molt and confused it with a recent one.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I am very much in doubt, but at the same time, I am very curious how this will be turned out.

boina

Lady of the mites
My B boehmei molted on Tuesday 3rd of July and again yesterday 10th July.
I have never heard of this happening and didn’t even know it was possible. I thought they had to eat and have time to put on size before moulting out again?

I’m very worried that something is wrong with it. It put on size from the first moult but this time has put on 2 to 3 mm of size again and also developed more of its colour. It’s only a sling about 1.5” in size.

I haven’t mixed it up with another Tarantula, there is no doubt in my mind that this happened as I witnessed both moults. I am stunned by it and very confused. Is this normal has anybody else experienced this? I was surprised after the first moult, how big the abdomen remained immediately after the moult. It was very light looking as they are but still a little chunky bear!
Theoretically that shouldn't be possible. A tarantula needs to form a new exoskeleton before it can molt again and that cannot happen in a week.

The only possibility I can think of: Because of some genetical defect your tarantula did not form one, but two exoskeletons under the old one. It first shed one, than still had one exo too many and shed the second. That's pure speculation, but the only mechanism I can come up with where something like this is possible.

cold blood

Staff member
twice in a week is a physical impossibility....its like saying you got pregnant and bore a child twice in a week.

There has to be something being confused here.

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
How do you know it molted the first time? Did you clearly see it on its back both times? I ask as you may have just found an old molt and confused it with a recent one.
No definitely not. I watched it molt both times. I thought it was dead the second time when it was on its back again, so I watch edit moult again.

twice in a week is a physical impossibility....its like saying you got pregnant and bore a child twice in a week.

I’m sorry if this information is difficult to take!! But I’m not confused I witnessed it both times. Unless somebody broke into my House and swappedp my tarantula with another identically sized one,it moulted twice, I witnessed both and removed both moults, obviously it’s not physically impossible.

So,it’s more probable that....

1, the first moult I watched wasn’t a moult and the Exo I removed was a figment of my imagination.
2, Despite me checking all my tarantulas several times a day every day, I suddenly wasn’t able to differentiate between them and mistook my moulting boehmei for another despite watching it change as it hardened up for a week afterwards.
3, the secondmoult I watched on the same boehmei was a figmentof my imagination
4, my boehmei is still chunky now despite havingmoulted twice. Now I’m worried that I have been caught up in some sort of timeslip.

Theoretically that shouldn't be possible. A tarantula needs to form a new exoskeleton before it can molt again and that cannot happen in a week.

The only possibility I can think of: Because of some genetical defect your tarantula did not form one, but two exoskeletons under the old one. It first shed one, than still had one exo too many and shed the second. That's pure speculation, but the only mechanism I can come up with where something like this is possible.
That is what I assumed has happened. I was checking it for injuries as I’ve read they can push through moults faster to heal injuries but even still a week is ridiculous. I assumed my T was at risk andespectedot to die from not having a developed enough Exo but it’s doing okay so far. I’ve actually spoke to somebody else who says they had a T moult twice in a week. So it’s obviously some freak occurrence that happens but we are not sure why.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No definitely not. I watched it molt both times. I thought it was dead the second time when it was on its back again, so I watch edit moult again.

I’m sorry if this information is difficult to take!! But I’m not confused I witnessed it both times. Unless somebody broke into my House and swappedp my tarantula with another identically sized one,it moulted twice, I witnessed both and removed both moults, obviously it’s not physically impossible.

So,it’s more probable that....

1, the first moult I watched wasn’t a moult and the Exo I removed was a figment of my imagination.
2, Despite me checking all my tarantulas several times a day every day, I suddenly wasn’t able to differentiate between them and mistook my moulting boehmei for another despite watching it change as it hardened up for a week afterwards.
3, the secondmoult I watched on the same boehmei was a figmentof my imagination
4, my boehmei is still chunky now despite havingmoulted twice. Now I’m worried that I have been caught up in some sort of timeslip.

That is what I assumed has happened. I was checking it for injuries as I’ve read they can push through moults faster to heal injuries but even still a week is ridiculous. I assumed my T was at risk andespectedot to die from not having a developed enough Exo but it’s doing okay so far. I’ve actually spoke to somebody else who says they had a T moult twice in a week. So it’s obviously some freak occurrence that happens but we are not sure why.
Very interesting then. I believe you ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Yeah must not have seen a. Molt or it got buried and resurfaced during second molt. Not possible some people wait a week to feed a post molt T also.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
The T could have gotten trapped in a time loop... :bookworm:
4, my boehmei is still chunky now despite havingmoulted twice.
Have you let your T's play with the time machine again? :meh: :troll:

The only serious things I can think of are:

Someone having switched your "identically sized" T with the other (why...? I don't know)

You mistaking something for a molt

Or what Boina said, a weird genetic thing happening where it had an extra exoskeleton and had to molt off another, causing two molts

Or we could all start panicking because time is being messed with :wideyed: :p

Ok that's not helping sorry couldn't resist

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
The T could have gotten trapped in a time loop... :bookworm:

Have you let your T's play with the time machine again? :meh: :troll:

The only serious things I can think of are:

Someone having switched your "identically sized" T with the other (why...? I don't know)

You mistaking something for a molt

Or what Boina said, a weird genetic thing happening where it had an extra exoskeleton and had to molt off another, causing two molts

Or we could all start panicking because time is being messed with :wideyed: :p

Ok that's not helping sorry couldn't resist
Don’t worry, Ive concluded its the time-loop Theory. Funnily enough not long before the moult, my T’s all went on a school trip to the large hadron collider. Boehmei did come back full of ideas and aspirations to study particle physics. I’ve changed his name to Mandela and now we play with his C3PO figure with the gold leg, watch the Berenstein Bears and simply love that movie where Sinbad is a genie.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Spider phased interdemensional and come back larger? Wow, don’t get it stuck in twilight zone.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

OP- was the first molt normal or were there some issues with it. As boina says perhaps there was more than one exoskeleton produced. It certainly would not surprise me if this could happen.

Not that tarantulas and snakes are in any way similar but I have seen it with reptiles. If there is an issue with a molt I have seen a second molt in a relatively short time (usually not within a week but certainly much sooner than normal.)